It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyeing midterms, Democrats to push Republicans to go on record against key bills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

President Obama has reached out to Republicans in recent weeks, acknowledging that he needs bipartisansupport to effectively govern the country. But the White House and congressional Democrats are also hedging their bets with a plan to make a campaign issue of what they say is Republican intransigence.

The emerging strategy seeks to take advantage of the partisan stalemate in Congress over Obama's nominees and major policy initiatives, and to turn the page on a year when the White House failed to secure passage of complicated health-care and energy legislation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.washingtonpost.com...

It's explanation time for the GOP. Now do Republicans keep with the strategy of opposing every single bill that the Democrats propose? Keeping with the premise Damn the Country, Obama Must Fail? Or do they start working together with Democrats to try and show that they actually are bipartisan and are willing to work across the aisle?

My guess is, the closer that it gets to election time, the more that the GOP will work with Democrats on bills. That way they can show the voters that they are really trying to work along side the opposition.

Of course on the other side, the Democrats are setting up the GOP for the fall too. Bringing up legislation that Republicans would be stupid to not work with. So in reality is this just a rouse to keep people in power that have been in power all too long? Or is this election year politics?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I think the Repubs should do exactly what they have been doing. Not voting for inherently bad legislation.

I have yet to read a bill presented yet in the current Congress, that I would vote for.

I hope the Dems do bring up bills that could actually help, but we all know any and all legislation is exactly that, legislation.

Now, if I was in the Congress, I would write a simple bill that would be something like-

All current legislation that is unConstitutional to be immediately repealed as of the signing of this bill. e.g. Patriot Act I would then list all of the legislation that is unConstitutional.

Oooohhh that would sucker them all into showing their TRUE colors.

Thanks whatukno for giving me this idea. I think I am going to write an email now.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Republicans need to do better than being the party of no.

They need to become the party of Hell No!

The bipartisianship is actually coming from the Democrats crossing the aisle to oppose their own party! This is coming from fear of being kicked out of office.

The last thing Republicans need to do is to give legitimacy to failed Democrat policy. Democrats would love nothing better than to say a failure was a "bipartisian" failure, instead of taking the full blame for it.

The Democrat call for "bipartisianship" is just a call to share the blame for when things go bad.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Democrats push Republicans to go against key bills? They shouldn't have to push very hard, since that's what Republicans have been doing since day one of this presidency.

That cracks me up. Democrats push Republicans to be the Party of No!

Originally posted by whatukno
My guess is, the closer that it gets to election time, the more that the GOP will work with Democrats on bills. That way they can show the voters that they are really trying to work along side the opposition.

I think you're right. After threatening recess appointments, 27 of Obama's nominees were confirmed, the Republicans claiming that they were non-controversial appointments. (What's been the hold up then? Why did the GOP only agree to these nominees after the recess appointment threat by Obama?)

Of course on the other side, the Democrats are setting up the GOP for the fall too.

Let's be clear, the Democrats didn't do the setting up here, by any stretch of the imagination. The GOP set themselves up for failure by opposing every single piece of legislation that Obama wanted brought to the table, without offering counter legislation.

Or is this election year politics?

Yes.
Don'cha just love it?

Good thread!

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Let's be clear, the Democrats didn't do the setting up here, by any stretch of the imagination. The GOP set themselves up for failure by opposing every single piece of legislation that Obama wanted brought to the table, without offering counter legislation.

Happy Valentine's Day BH! Nice Avatar you got there!

If the Democrats want Republicans to join them on a bill that is good for America, here is one they could get great bipartisian support for.

"The deficit reduction bill of 2010"

Across the board tax cuts for all Americans.
Repeal the Porkulus Spending Bill and return the 70% yet to be spent back to the treasury.
The Bill would only include cuts in spending.
Earmarks? Sure!!! I would encourage every Representative to call out previous failed pork projects. Call for an end of them and refund some of the money back to Congress.

If we can have spending bills, surely we can have a deficit reduction bill?

Now only if we could get Democrats to offer a bill like this. We would have no problem getting bipartisian support.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

They are not voting for bad legislation...they are simply not voting, period.
The plan is simple...have nothing be accomplished, good policy or bad, and people will kick out the incumbants. filibuster hitting what...153 last session. when the typical count is approximately 40-50. Its a tactic that ignores any betterment of America for the sake of politics.

I at this point typically waste my time suggesting you read the facts of whats going on, but thats against the programming that the GOP mouthpieces installed into the rightys, therefore all the facts on earth will not get past the propaganda and displaced passion...so lets just keep this simple

America?...who gives a rats arse about it, so long as the rightys can get their people back in.

But...sadly...if that is the case, I can promise you that fair is fair...expect hundreds of filibusters also the day the other team has the ball, creating the same stagnation and voila, the people kick out those incumbants also. the death of democracy has happened...cheers repubs.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
"The deficit reduction bill of 2010"

Across the board tax cuts for all Americans.
[edit on 13-2-2010 by Carseller4]

lol...as we all know, by having less money go to government, we magically reduce the deficit.

Heres an idea...(vote for me btw)...I will not only eliminate taxes...but I will pay every American 10% of their income every year...I will eliminate national debt, increase the military to 20 million troops, create rain in the deserts, and turn all gay people into straight people.

vote for meeeeee

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Post me ONE bill that the Repubs should have voted for in the current congress.

ONLY ONE!

Quit your obfuscation techniques. I do not fall for them!

If NOTHING happens in congress, THAT is something I CAN BACK!

Now we just need to rid our country of the +600,000 statutes that take away our rights.

As for not voting, I suggested months ago that they just leave.

Nice try on putting me in the REPUB box. Nice ad hominem!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Less taxes = more revenue

That is a fact!

If you want to restrict something, what do you do? YOU TAX IT!

If you want to encourage something, you do the opposite.

It's elementary! No wonder why Demcrats don't get it.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Post me ONE bill that the Repubs should have voted for in the current congress.

ONLY ONE!

Frankins Anti Rape Amendment receives little bi partisan support.

You would think that Republicans could get behind an anti RAPE bill. But nope, can't do that.

30 Republicans including Sen. John McCain voted against an anti rape bill. Really? You would think that anti rape legislation would be something easy to pass, but apparently John McCain doesn't think that way.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Yeah, I saw that and I found it to be appalling. Just goes to show why I hate both parties.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

You would think that Republicans could get behind an anti RAPE bill. But nope, can't do that.

30 Republicans including Sen. John McCain voted against an anti rape bill. Really? You would think that anti rape legislation would be something easy to pass, but apparently John McCain doesn't think that way.

FYI: Rape is already against the law. So let's make another law against it? Hey I got a great idea! Let's make a law against murder, yeah I know we already have a law against it, but another one couldn't hurt....right?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Sounds like you're saying, "If Democrats want Republican cooperation, they should offer legislation that Republicans would offer if Republicans were in the majority. Then we'd agree with them."

Well, yeah. But the Democrats weren't hired to pass a Republican agenda. They were hired to pass health care reform, shore up the economy, concentrate on renewable energy, cut middle income taxes and tax the wealthy, etc... Not your basic Republican agenda.

By the way, the "Rape Amendment" wasn't about a new law against rape, it was about disallowing federal funds to cover up rape cases.

Happy Valentines Day to you, too.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

But it is one piece of legislation that Republicans should have gotten behind. Why should our tax dollars go to covering up gang rapes? Why should we as taxpayers pay for arbitration in what should be criminal and civil cases?

(FYI Carseller4, thats what that bill was about, that is why I provided a link to the thread, so you could check it out yourself.)

This is exactly what the problem is, this is a good piece of legislation, but because a Democrat proposed it, 30 Republicans towed the party line and voted against it.

Now I am not saying that the Democrats wouldn't do the exact same thing if the rolls were reversed. I am saying that being the party of NO is not what is good for the country. Being the party of compromise and give and take would be. Of course ideally there would be no political parties in our government and people would send representatives to Washington because they are the best person for the job and not a representative of a political ideology. But maybe some day.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
strategy is always wonderful is it not?

The GOP had better stand their ground and not just a simple no and why... but a loud Hell no and clearly make the reasons known to the voters... If they waffle on anything now, they are done...

top topics

join