It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Scenario 9

Johnny tries to marry Eileen

1955 - Johnny and Eileen are prosecuted under anti-misegenation laws

2010 - No problem

etc, etc, etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by minute2midnight
I graduated in '99. I have to say my experience growing up was a lot closer to 1955 than 2010. Things changed dramatically after Columbine and 9/11. You're right, sad doesn't begin to describe it.

I totally agree! I would have graduated in 1998 (I was born in 1979) and it does seem the world has changed over the last 10-15 years more than several decades before that as far as what the OP is describing and even though what the OP said is obviously exaggerating, the basic point behind what the OP said is true.

it's like common sense has been replaced by something that the common person would clearly disagree with.

on a side note... it's kind of funny that you can't seem to speak about 'God' in schools anymore but everything else is "OK" *roles eyes* ... people need to get back to some of the basics that used to be in effect in the old days because the way it is now we need to get back to more proven methods that work as looking at the past (1950's etc etc) sure seems to be the cure as kids nowadays are pretty much out of control.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaCrip

Those who believe in God believe that there are consequenes for not following "the Golden Rule"!

Replace God's All-Seeing Eye with the All-Seeing Eye of the State,and this is what we get!

Only in a world that is more aberrant by the day,allowing for the "State" to enforce it's version of what is considered moral or acceptable is having grave consequences!

The anti-christ New World agenda has no room for the God we grew up with.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

Your making my gaydar detector go off so i guess we are even

really? well, if you must resort to "insults", then I guess we know who is losing the argument. Incidently, your gaydar needs to be tamed...sorry mate, but I am straight, no matter how much I turn you on.

the kids at colombine (your shining example) facts:

Early stories following the shootings charged that school administrators and teachers at Columbine had long condoned a climate of bullying by the so-called jocks or athletes, allowing an atmosphere of outright intimidation and resentment to fester which, they claimed, could have helped trigger the perpetrators' extreme violence.[39] Reportedly, homophobic remarks were directed at Klebold and Harris.[40]

And lets now take a look at the kids themselves from how they were raised.

Dylan, Cullen writes, was depressed. His parents knew this, though not the extent of it. And it wasn’t because they weren’t around. Dylan’s father worked from home and saw his son every day. Both parents were gentle, educated people, who named their two boys after romantic poets — Dylan Thomas and Lord Byron — seemed to have given Dylan the message that so many of us recognize from our own childhoods: high school is hard, it will get better from here, we’re here for you, we promise.

Eric, on the other hand, was a psychopath, Cullen concludes, and he spends 400 pages convincingly making his case. Eric’s parents, too, did what parents do. His father, who had been in the military, was strict with Eric, and actions in that house had consequences. Eric’s parents knew their son was no angel — he broke into a van, he was found making pipe bombs and setting them off for fun — and they took steps to address this. He was enrolled in a program for juvenile offenders run by the county court, he was taken to a psychiatrist and given both therapy and medication. Attention was paid.

So, it appears we have both sides of the spectrum...from Dylans backround of a educated liberal home, to Eric and his strict conservative household. Both murdered, Both watched people die, Neither is the "right" way.

crazy happens.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

really? well, if you must resort to "insults", then I guess we know who is losing the argument. Incidently, your gaydar needs to be tamed...sorry mate, but I am straight, no matter how much I turn you on.

I was hoping you would say that i already had my refute. You called me a liar with your BS comment. Is that not a insult??

Oh guess lying is nothing to you so you wouldnt consider it a insult

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
I wish I had the words to describe how this makes me feel. "Sad" doesn't even come close. What a shame that this is all kids are going to grow up experiencing.

You pretty much just said what I was thinking while reading the rest of your post. I'm 19 and my mouth just hung open in disbelief when one of my friends who happens to be in his 50's told me that it was common place for kids of all ages in school to have a pocket knife. Nobody pulled their knives when a fight broke out. Some kids even brought their rifle's to school for show and tell. Nobody was stabbed in a fit of rage over chocolate milk. Nobody was shot for not sharing toys. We have regressed not progressed, at least in this area.

When I was in school there were kids who were expelled and forced into counseling simply for drawing a picture of a knife or a firearm. My parents were harassed mercilessly by my school one year because I showed an interest in joining the military or becoming a law enforcement officer.

It's pretty sad the educational system in America(and probably other countries too) has become such a pathetic shadow of what it used to be. People used to graduate school knowing at least basic math, world history, science and how to speak English. Not anymore.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
...the 1950s vs today thangy is old, old, old... i read it on an email at least 15 years ago and the debate that followed was almost exactly the same as the one i just finished reading on ats, lmao - but - we had to use email because there were no message boards back then... by the next morning, everyone's mail box was maxed out... yeah, those were the days (that truly sucked)... heres another oldie but goodie for the nostalgia lovers and those that the nostalgia lovers irk...

Beating A Dead Horse - Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in government we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

Buying a stronger whip.

Changing riders.

Saying things like "This is the way we always have ridden this horse."

Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.

Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.

Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.

Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.

Comparing the state of dead horses in today's environment.

Pass legislation declaring that "This horse is not dead."

Blaming the horse's parents.

Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.

Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."

Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.

Do a Cost Analysis to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.

Procure a commercial design dead horse.

Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.

Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.

Revisit the performance requirements for horses.

Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.

BRAC the horse farm on which it was born.

Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Raverous

You sound like a very bright and well-adjusted 19 year old to me!

Good that you can appreciate the view-point of those older than you. (I don't know that I was that impressed by what my elders had to say when I was your age!)

But then,when I was 19,things hadn't gotten this bad yet. We weren't under surveillance 24 hours a day and we still had our Constitutional Rights,something the Patriot Act did away with!

Notice how the titles of those Acts go against their true intent.

May I suggest if you haven't already,read "1984" and you'll see how our government is operating. It will really give you an edge in understanding just what is going on now.

You can probably read it online,or check it out at a library.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

But then,when I was 19,things hadn't gotten this bad yet.

oh here we go again.

back when I was 19, the world was a giant disneyland with everyone holding hands and I had all my hair.

ok, bored of this subject now. 2010 rules, 2020 will rule more, 2030 will totally rule, 2040 I will be old therefore it will be crappy times when the youth have no respect, big brother, etc etc etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If you are bored on the subject why do you engage it? As if you are the end all in what should and shouldn't be discussed Saturn.

Why cannot people discuss this topic? If you do not like it, do not come back to it.

People engage here as some are nostalgic, some wish to lay out their grievances while other just want a good laugh. You on the other hand, as evident with your past couple of post wish to dictate what people think is important

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

If you are bored on the subject why do you engage it? As if you are the end all in what should and shouldn't be discussed Saturn.

Why cannot people discuss this topic? If you do not like it, do not come back to it.

People engage here as some are nostalgic, some wish to lay out their grievances while other just want a good laugh. You on the other hand, as evident with your past couple of post wish to dictate what people think is important

I get bored with circular arguments overall. especially when its simple opinion, like someone could be right when it comes to simple opinion...so let me clarify, I am bored of going in circles...been going like this for the past 7 pages now.

as evident in my past few posts, my opinion is important to me...as far as others sharing my opinion, they are welcome to it or challenge it...and I enjoy challenging opinions that are not in line with my own, not that I think people will change their opinions overall.

Its great fun when you can get into a debate about opinions with new data being used and tossed out...very lively and healthy discussions...however it gets boring when people simply dig in, add nothing new, and say the same things over and over.

thats my opinion anyhow...dont like it? too bad

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
My father graduated high school in 1954. Both of us were into fixing up cars, modifying the engines to make them faster, and generally driving a bit to fast here and there.

He told me stories of police pulling up next to him while at a stop light and revving their engines and smiling and looking over. Then - you might want to sit down for this - they would race until the speed limit! Yes, tires spinning and screeching, all the way up to 35 or 40 mph.

This was in and around the Bay Area, CA (Berkeley, Oakland, Lafayette).

My bet that if I even revved my engines next to a cop at a light he'd pull me over and be all bent out of shape and find some obscure citation to throw at me.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Ha! Yet here you are...complaining.

I am one for good debate and discussion, but it is not the end all. Sometimes a pointless conversation that has nothing to do with life is satisfactory and refreshing. You claim you do not enjoy circular logic...that is good, but moaning and bitching about it isn't going to draw out a more concise logic.

Yet here you are....complaining. If no one wants to engage you either keep up the good fight (I, with you, believe one must stand solid to their principles and opinions, but never beholden to them) and make your case as it is evident you have.l

Do not dictate what others wish to blissfully remain ignorant upon. Especially something as trivial as then and now type of conversation.

The sad thing is, this thread could bring into it a very valid question:

Progress Vs. Tradition. As that is the ever going battle that occurs and is evident here in this thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Times have certainly change it sounds like everything that will go wrong does and that no matter how something happens you are more than likely to get exploited or over publicised about what you did and convicted.
I can relate to this a little and i am glad ive never been to jail or sued because of things ive done but i can tell you that my life has gone from bad to worse since i was a teenager and now i find it is quite disturbing how my life turned out. I know that no matter what happens you must keep moving and stay focused in order not to loose composure and the things that you only dream of doing because there are people trying to cut you down at any length so that they can get ahead of you.
I always wonder what it would be like to live in the earlier years and have thought it would have been a great thing but also i dont think that my life has been all that bad even though i ve been through some of the hardest times i can concieve. I think that this article brings up a good call that something needs to be changed these days not knowing if by who or when but i dont think people are that crash hot on what the system is doing and also i think that we have gone far to long now with gang violence drug wars and such there is great need to be some kind of revelation in all of this where people will just realise and say to each other lets not fight or argue who know anything is possible.. Is it?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hatchetman

Unless this system comes to a crashing halt,I wouldn't expect anything to improve.

Sounds like you're dealing with it the best you can,which is all any of us can do!

We can live our lives as an example of how to behave and hope that can make a small difference in the lives around us. That's about it.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Things have changed dramatically since then in all aspects of life. It's like a different world. There is more violence. Kids these days can't even get an education without worrying about who may shoot or stab them for no reason at all.

Where does the violence come from ? IMHO computer games are one of the biggest causes of violence in the younger generation. Of course mummy and daddy should share the blame because of their selfish attitudes they allow little johnny to play the game or even buy it for him in the first place, all so they can have their own fun time.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/528b8e7dda82.jpg[/atsimg]

Players in MadWorld use chainsaws, spiked clubs, daggers and spears to execute victims.

They can impale their enemies on road signs, fry them on electrical sockets and rip out their heart

In psychology, aggression refers to any behavior that demonstrates a malicious intent to cause harm. There are three types of aggression, measured along a mild-to-violent severity continuum: physical, verbal, and relational. Violence refers to physical aggression of which the victim is likely to suffer serious physical injury. However, the general public uses these terms in broader ways than researchers and such "differences in usage lead to much confusion between aggression scientists, public policymakers, and the general public. "Sexual" refers to content with nudity and virtual intercourse, themes, and some humor

Source

Because of the way people don't think for themselves now and rely on the government telling the what to do and how to bring up their kids, this kind of behaviour is acceptable, but imagine if you were an alien lookin down on this planet what would you think? a world where at the age of 5/6 kids are playing games that simulate killing human beings/animals. A world where people are teaching their kids (indirectly) to use violence in order to succeed?

Its completely absurd to make these sort of games for our children, the next generation. IMHO there is an agenda, and the agenda is to create soldiers / new recruits in to the army. How many people who have played the game CALL OF DUTY have enlisted in to the army ? I wonder?

Its simple, you create these games that a large population of children become addicted to (MONEY) / (POWER) then you destroy their society by causing a recession, these kids then have nothing and cannot work so they play these games and think of the forces. If this isn't true , then ask yourself why would your government allow these games to be made if they were really protecting the child? if they really showed love and compassion to each and everyone of us.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
We also had this about 50 years ago:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

But then,when I was 19,things hadn't gotten this bad yet. We weren't under surveillance 24 hours a day and we still had our Constitutional Rights,something the Patriot Act did away with!
Another thing you (or I) didn't had when you were 19 was the possibility of knowing how things are in the next town, the next state, the other side of the country or the other side of the world by just doing some mouse clicks, like we can do now.

What has changed the most is how easily we can get and spread information, so while things could be paradise-like in a small town somewhere or in a small part of a large town without knowing how things were in other places, today the news (real or not) spread extremely fast and you know that there was a shooting at some school in some state far from your own, while "back then" you probably wouldn't even know that something had happened.

And as we all know, if news can spread fast, the ones that spread the most are bad news, people give much more attention to bad, shocking news than to good news, so it's no wonder that we all read about bad things, good things don't sell papers (or TV or online ads).

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Being a player of violent games myself, I can tell you that they do not make a person violent, on the contrary, they act as a way of dissipating the latent violence we may have accumulated during the previous hours/days/months.

If that was the case then we would have thousands of killings in all countries.

And why not blame the movies or the TV? They have been present for a long time, but games only got the be considered the source of the violence when the computer games industry started selling more than the movie industry.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfreeBecause of the way people don't think for themselves now and rely on the government telling the what to do and how to bring up their kids, this kind of behaviour is acceptable, but imagine if you were an alien lookin down on this planet what would you think? a world where at the age of 5/6 kids are playing games that simulate killing human beings/animals. A world where people are teaching their kids (indirectly) to use violence in order to succeed?

Just wondering if you are a vegetarian and teaching your kids killing is bad, that's why we don't eat meat. Yes, all the other children in class eat meat so they are all bad. Even though they are bad, just be nice to them otherwise they might kill you too.

Point being eating meat is more likely closer to killing than videogames. Unless you can make your kids believe all meat comes from a factory where it is assembled from plants and vegetables rather than explaining them that cute bunny will likely be killed to feed you.

[edit on 14/2/2010 by Dragonfly79]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join