It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School:1955 vs. 2010

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Glad to hear that i didnt figure you would want that, but i didnt want to speak for you. I agree with you that there is a lack of common sense now days, i have seen it fall by the wayside in just my 25 short years on this planet, sad sad world

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
Just a little reminder of the way things used to be! No wonder people refer to them as the "good ol' days"!

(For the record,I wasn't even born yet in 1955,but I am old enough to remember common sense!)

From www.freerepublic.com...

"HIGH SCHOOL -- 1955 vs. 2010"

Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1955 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack...
2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

I was Jack my senior year in 1986. Used my book bag as my "range" bag. Left my S&W 9mm and brass in the thing. Got up monday, put my books back in and went to school. Realized what happened at 1st period, Principle let me go home no questions asked. I returned and filled him in. He laughed and called me a goofball.

Zero tolerance is for idiots.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I graduated from high school in 1994. On many occasions, both with my mother who was employed by the same school system for about 4 years after my graduation, and with my wife, I've talked about how much school environments have changed in such a short time.

The area I lived in is located in a very religious region of the United States. So the vast majority of the students were Christian, and those that weren't were respectful of the beliefs of others. Public displays of faith were never frowned upon, nor were they protested. At that time I was a Christian, and I participated in a couple organizations which meshed quite significantly with the lives of many students. The environment was just very comfortable, and our school had this awesome sense of community. During my junior year our school won the state championship in football, and the impact from that year was positive and inspiring for everyone.

I believe it was two years after I graduated that my mother was hired as an aide in one of the "special needs" classrooms at the high school I attended. At first I didn't think much about that, but on the occasions that her and I would talk about her work, I became more and more aware that in that very short time since I finished there, the place had changed drastically.

While I was at that school there was only one classroom for special needs students. And, to be honest, all of the students in there did have special needs. They were the unfortunate kids who had ailments such as Down Syndrome, very obvious mental shortcomings, and so on. In other words, they needed to be separated from the other students simply because they would never have been able to keep up with the curriculum.

My mom was assigned to one of three "special needs" classrooms. And those classes were packed to the point that they could not fit more kids in them. Now here's what really, really bothered me about what she told me. Most of the kids were not there because of mental ailments like the kids I'd been in school with. They were in the special needs rooms because they had things like ADD, ADHD, etc. My mom would often remark about how so many of them were on Ritalin and other drugs in order to curtail their so-called unacceptable behavior. I could tell she too was bothered by what was going on, but she always seemed reluctant to voice her opinions freely for some reason.

It was this process of observing the evolution of the school from afar that started my own digestion of thoughts on the situation. I believe that the medical and pharmaceutical industries made a mutual and conscientious effort to diagnose new disorders and prescribe drugs which would impact these new disorders. ADD is such a vague ailment that just about anyone could be diagnosed with it! Is it any wonder that so many children are handed drugs in order to "fix" their behaviors, make them learn better and easier, and allow their parents to be free of the concern that their child may be mentally challenged?

Awesome OP. Thanks for bringing this topic up. I think it's long overdue. I just wish there was something that we could do about it. With the way corporations and the almighty dollar control damn near every aspect of our lives these days, and the constant progression of technology (iPods, cell phones, etc.) which is commonplace in the lives of young people, I can only see this whole situation getting worse.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Somewhat related to this thread, I remember a few weeks ago when I was watching "Kill Bill", and they show Uma Thurmans character as a passenger on a commercial jet, with a Kitana sword in the seat next to her...I was like wow...those days are long gone...can't even have a damn nail clipper now!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by SaturnFX

If you are bored on the subject why do you engage it? As if you are the end all in what should and shouldn't be discussed Saturn.

Why cannot people discuss this topic? If you do not like it, do not come back to it.

People engage here as some are nostalgic, some wish to lay out their grievances while other just want a good laugh. You on the other hand, as evident with your past couple of post wish to dictate what people think is important

It's because some people forget everything positive in the past and only remember the negative.

The 1980s were a great time for me and my brother growing up. I remember it vividly. In my town there was wasteground to play on and not much traffic on the roads.
My dad was pretty strict with me but it never did me any harm and I think made me more sensible and a responsible person. Me and my brother were always out of the house riding bikes around the streets with our mates.

Air-rifles and toy guns being fired off at targets, realistic-looking cap-guns firing at each other.
We had the IRA as a threat in the UK but the cops didn't start punishing the citizens for the petty sht they come up with now.
Decent TV and movies too.
School wasn't too bad until the early 1990s when it sucked big time, the rot had definately set in.
Now I would hate to be growing up as kid, it would totally be a barren and depressing experience.
Anti-terrorist agenda, can't even play conkers, toy-scraps, rollerdogs basically anything rough and tumble is outlawed under this H&S facism.

My father told me that knife carrying was even more liberal back in the 50s.

No, it really was better back then!
The only advantage now to back then is the technology has plateau'd to what it is now.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Q_Llama

That's a very important difference today that you bring up-the medicating! I think if you did just a little research your suspicions would be confirmed.

I only remember one student who had to be on medication,from when I was in the fifth grade(1975). I don't know what she was on,but on the day she didn't have it for some reason,she stabbed a boy in the leg with a crochet hook!The curved end going in all the way through his jeans,nailing him in the upper thigh.

I'll never forget how brave that kid was! He took it like a man,seriously.Like a veteran soldier! I wonder what he's doing today...??

Anyhow,just thought I'd share that story while we're on the subject!

About that pharmaceutical industry though,that's bad news! I think I recently read where there is the possibility of giving anti-depressants to toddlers! I hate this expression,but "WTF"???

I've seen what Ritalin did to a kid in the neighborhood who used to play with my kids. He went from being a normal,ornery avtive 12 year old boy to an overweight,depressed teenager who wound up dying recklessly in a car accident.

The topic of kids and prescription meds would make for an interesting thread. Maybe you can start one?

Also,I heard recently that anti-depressants rarely produce more than a placebo effect,which it itself is not a bad thing,but often there are terrible side-effects,not to mention the exorbitant cost! That the whole "chemical imbalance" theory is about as valid as the science behind global warming!

What a racket! There's no end to the horror stories people could bring to the the discussion,I'm sure.

Yep,things are seriously out of whack to have gotten like this.

Thanks for sharing your story!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Interesting. I'm a member of the 2010 class, and these scenarios seem to be a tad extreme. However, I understand the point he's making. I agree that our education system has been nothing short of oppression and tyranny though. -You miss 10 days of class, whatever the reason, you lose the credit.
- You get in a fight? No matter who started it, and even if you didn't fight back, likely you both get suspended.
-Your school fails the State standardized test? You suddenly find yourself doing reading and math exercises in Band and Wood Shop.
-You park your car in the school parking lot? They suddenly have the right to search your vehicle anytime and for no reason at all.
-You have a pocket knife or a multi-tool on you because you use it regularly as a tool for your job, a vocational class, or because you went camping over the weekend and left it in your bag? Or even if a "weapon" is in your vehicle. Fine, Suspension, possible expulsion, possibly arrested.
-Most teachers are stuck meeting minimal benchmarks and standards so they spend their whole time teaching test-taking, instead of opening the opportunity for the students to find their wisdom.
-Late to class? Even just a few minutes and the teacher hasn't started instruction and you haven't missed anything? Detention, In school suspension, then out of school suspension.

The schools seem to be teaching and trying to condition students to submit to authority more than anything these days. And naturally, as human beings, the students tend to rebel and counter authority leading to more attempts of control.
I had a personal run in with the school resource officer that issued me a parking "ticket" that was completely wrong (and very likely illegal according to city law.) I went to him to challenge it and he basically told me just to pay it and not fight it or it just gets worse. He threatened me with a $50 ticket instead of the $25 ticket he gave me initially. (The violation I was cited for was a maximum $10 fine according to the written law.) I had also talked to the school administration about it (because he issued me a school ticket to where there's no court date and the fine is paid to the school) and they just backed the officer. So I asked him to give me the $50 city ticket and the court date so I could discuss it in front of a judge and the judge wrote it off.
There were 4 other students who got the same ticket for the same thing on the same day I did. I was the only one who even challenged it which bothers me, because it shows how much our schools are conditioning the students to just comply without question.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I have to say this; I don't even think most of that is accurate, and even if the scenarios are real, I don't agree with all of them (I NEVER believe that a teacher has the right to discipline a child...NEVER!!) But this is still brilliant. Being placed on watch lists and having your life destroyed because of some bureaucracy or standard...absolutely right in your persepctive. This is a worm in the universe, a tunnel into the past. Which is always interesting for us philosophers, anthropologists, and historians...Excellently done. Even if you didn't think of it...thanks for putting it up.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by Anarchist69]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
From another thread I did,titled "The Seven Lesson School Teacher",the writer talks about what is REALLY being taught in schools.

Here are those seven things:

by John Taylo Gatto,NY State School Teacher of the Year,1991.

It's called "The Seven-Lesson School Teacher"

This is what he says those "Seven Lessons" amount to...

1.Confusion
2.Class Position
3.Indifference
4.Emotional Dependency
5.Intellectual Dependency
6.Provisional Self-Esteem
7.One Can't Hide

After an adult lifetime spent teaching school, I believe the method of mass-schooling is its only real content. Don't be fooled into thinking that good curriculum or good equipment or good teachers are the critical determinants of your son's or daughter's education. All the pathologies we've considered come about in large measure because the lessons of school prevent children from keeping important appointments with themselves and with their families to learn lessons in self-motivation, perseverance, self-reliance, courage, dignity, and love -- and lessons in service to others, too, which are among the key lessons of home and community life.

Thirty years ago [in the early 60s] these things could still be learned in the time left after school. But television has eaten up most of that time, and a combination of television and the stresses peculiar to two-income or single-parent families have swallowed up most of what used to be family time as well. Our kids have no time left to grow up fully human and only thin-soil wastelands to do it in.

A future is rushing down upon our culture which will insist all of us learn the wisdom of non-material experience; a future which will demand as the price of survival that we follow a path of natural life economical in material cost. These lessons cannot be learned in schools as they are. School is a twelve-year jail sentence where bad habits are the only curriculum truly learned. I teach school and win awards doing it. I should know."

That was from www.informationliberation.com...

I know if I had school-aged children,I'd try my hardest to be in a position to home-school them.

That's something TBTB want to put a stop to,obviously because they want everyone to be indoctrinated,not educated in anything more than the compliant citizens they desire.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
There is more violence.

Actually I've seen strong evidence to prove that this world is more peaceful than its even been. look up the TED talks on youtube and search for 'less violence' you'll find the video I'm talking of,

Stop getting you perceptions from the mainstream news, 'they' mean for us to feel in danger and in need of protecting

-B.M

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
A few thoughts on the opening post:

Things have changed in our school system. But then, things ahve also changed in our society. Perhaps the school system simply mirrors society? A fair question, I think.

As a school teacher, I agree that things have changed from when I was a student. But ask yourself why. Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits.....in our litagious age, schools have to walk a thin line between two extremes.

Now on to the ADD/ADHD phenomenon.

First, let me say that I agree you: these diagnosis get used a LOT more than is necessary. Couple of reasons for that:

1. When I worked in a pharmacy we would have parents who actively told their children to misbehave in school so they would get referral to doc....parents then coached those kids on how to respond to doc....with the ultimate goal of being prescribed Ritalin. The parents would then sell the Ritalin on the street...it has a fairly high resale value.

2. People use the drug to discipline students. What causes these students to be unruly? Perhaps lack of attention from parents, a chaotic home life, various issues...that would be pure speculation. But if more parents took an active role in their child's life and stopped relying on schools to teach everything, this wouldn't be the case. And remember how the teacher's hands are tied. For the most part, any discipline we do must be expullsion or suspension. (I can't even take away a child's recess anymore....it breaks the law!)

3. In my tenure as a teacher, I've taught about a thousand kids. In all those, I had 2 who truly were ADHD....and about a 100 who were on the drug. For those two, the medicatin was a godsend.

Briefly.....here's my way of determining if a child is ADHD without going to the doc. If they can sit for longer than 20 minutes watching a television show they are interested in, it ain't ADHD.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Right on, lawsuits and lawsuits. That is what changed the school system for the most part. Also what was passed down by the federal government and phony text books. However what happened to the public. In the '50s it was common for a man and wife to have two kids and live in a home. The dad would go off to work and the wife would take care of the kids. The inflation of the money supply changed home life and with the moral decline in the '60s. People did not even worry over unlocked doors back then. However look at the advances today in our lives. Cell phones, the net, cable TV. video games. Back then if you had a costly TV. You could watch the 3 or 4 controlled channels on their terms. That is in black and white with snow. Most people went out to the movies back then. You read the controlled newspapers for news. Schools other than trade schools are screwed today however you can find what you want on the net or buy an DVD.
One other point. Back in the '50s there were a lot of home fires due to radios, TVs blowing up and coffee makers melting wires but today we are seeing health problems due to bad imports.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

No offense,but after getting equal rights,which I'm all in favor for,then the blacks wanted special rights,such as the affirmative action and all that. Now they can have all the NAACP-type organizations they want,but if a group wants to serve the needs of only White people,THEY are racists!

And some still insist they should be given reapartions from years back.

Your above response confirms my earler post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for showing your true colors. I have a set of white sheets too, but I sleep on mine.

ON TOPIC:

1955: The B/W TV weatherman said it might rain tomorrow.

2010:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd9f454ee637.jpg[/atsimg]I wouldn't trade then for now for anything.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I am willing to bet your a cop or exmilitary, republican...?

Am I right?

This is not a negative question, nor is it said in a negative tone, I am just wondering

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

What's wrong with wanting Equality for everyone?

Your assumptions are based on faulty interpretation if you are accusing me of Racism.

Care to tell me what would be wrong with say,a White person's college fund since there is already a Negro college fund?

For the record,if there's any kind of college fund or whatever,why base anything on skin color at all?

And there is the Black Entertainment Television channel,right? Why can't there be a White Entertainment Channel?

Again,my point is not that there should be,because I think to judge one by their color alone IS racist!

And based on that perspective,you are trying to label me as a white-sheet wearing klansman? Because we should have the same opportunities?

I hardly know how to respond to such ridiculous statements.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Joe and Sarah are dating
1955: Joe tries to score...with occasional success
2010: Joe tries to score...with occasional success

Things might be better now.

1955: Joes tries to score...with occasional success...and there is no birth control involved. Sarah is likely to get pregant.

2010: Joes tries to score...with occasional sucess....Joe and Sarah might use condoms. Sarah might be on the pill. Joe and Sarah are less likely to let their hormones ruin their lives.

Errr, condoms were pretty widespread by the 1950s

2nd Line.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here's another one:

1955: It takes a village to raise a child.
2010: It takes a beaurocracy to raise a child.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

No offense,but after getting equal rights,which I'm all in favor for,then the blacks wanted special rights,such as the affirmative action and all that. Now they can have all the NAACP-type organizations they want,but if a group wants to serve the needs of only White people,THEY are racists!

And some still insist they should be given reapartions from years back.

Your above response confirms my earler post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for showing your true colors. I have a set of white sheets too, but I sleep on mine.

ON TOPIC:

1955: The B/W TV weatherman said it might rain tomorrow.

2010:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd9f454ee637.jpg[/atsimg]I wouldn't trade then for now for anything.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by kinda kurious]

Makes you wonder how our ancestors even made it having a myopic attitude like that.
Look at the sky and you get a good indication. If you make a bad guess or it rains etc you deal with it.
Not everywhere in the world gets disaster type weather and those places that do would have a predicatable season to look to the early warning signs

I'm the complete opposite.

The technology and toys are nice, but freedom of choice and laissez-faire style is a zillion times better...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join