It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(just some more) Witch Killings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I run across these type of incidents/articles pretty frequently, in my weird internet trawling routines...

Sometimes I feel like posting them on ATS...but then the counterargument to that is "all these are the same = some unfortunate died in a village, and, really, so what?"...and there's no way I could post all the relevant witch-killing squibs, I am too lazy and busy and ADD, oh hell no...

But I have decided to ignore those good objections, and start this thread to post some occasional witch-killings, as the urge strikes me, without pretense to completeness or particular significance.

This one here's from CNN, no author listed for me to credit.

Police seize elderly Mexican man over 'witch' killing

Mexican authorities have arrested a 78-year-old man on charges he killed a woman he believed was a witch who had put a spell on him.
Santiago Iniguez Olivares is accused of bludgeoning Modesta Navarro Nieves and her husband at their home in the mountainous Guadalupe del Cobre community in April 1998, the Michoacan state attorney general's said Thursday. The husband survived.
Olivares had been on the run until recently, when he returned to Guadalupe del Cobre because he thought the 11-year-old murder had been forgotten, the attorney general's office said.
According to officials, Iniguez Olivares went into the woman's home, accused her of putting a witch's spell on him and started to beat her with a stick. The woman's husband then came home and Iniguez Olivares turned the club on him before fleeing, the attorney general's office said in a release.
This is the second case in 18 months involving the slaying of someone accused of witchcraft.
Authorities arrested a woman in June 2008 in central Mexico on charges that she had killed another woman for similar reasons, La Voz de Michoacan newspaper said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

[edit on 12-2-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Plenty of crazys in the world I guess...

a stick...hmm...dontcha kill witches by tossing a bucket of water on em?

(ok, that was lame).

At this point, I should give a sermon about how religion can twist the mind of reasonable people and make them start smacking women with sticks, but why bother...clearly this guy was just off his rocker mad and anything of significants would have simply enhanced his crazy...be it religion, or lord of the rings (omg, that woman is saruman), or anything else.

Still, nice find OPs, news of the weird and insane tends to put color in the world...even if the color = muddy brown

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Did she turn him in to a newt?

Did she float?

BURN HER!!

(I'm sorry, i had to.)

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
incidently, this reminds me of a story...allow me to threadjack for a moment.

I used to work installing security cameras and systems as extra work some years back...anyhow, this sweet little old black woman with a island accent asked me to come by and give her a quote for a single camera on her back porch.

Got there and did my little poke around thing, (she couldn't afford it...she thought it would cost about $10...no worries, she was living in the 1960s I guess mentally)...since I had little else to do, I decided to stick around and let her chat...lonely old people love chatting and she was visibly disturbed to the point of crying..I asked whats wrong and she said that without the camera, she couldn't see what the witches were doing in her neighborhood...
sorta a wtf moment.
She explained that some neighborhood youths down the street were putting a hex on her and controlled the frogs...they made the frogs come into her porch to try and drive her mad and no doubt going to attack her one day...(shapeshifting frog witches incidently can be a bit of a pain I imagine)

I had a choice...the woman did actually seem to be maintaining her life...her house was tidy, she seemed to have everything in order...so I wasn't going to call the local quackery to have her hauled away..I did however talk to her daughter to let her know whats going on (she put me on the phone). Thanked me for humoring her for soo long and alerting them of this issue arising.

At times, I wonder if the frogs did end up winning

true story btw...mental illness is sad, yet if its only a touch, it adds tons of color to a otherwise boring world I guess...and if your 90+ years old, healthy, and still have most of your faculties in tact, having the odd witchfrog problem seems a fair tradeoff.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I wonder if the daughter was on your side or her side...I wonder if she told her ma later, "Dammit, don't tell outsiders about the frogs!"...
I have the same trait as you, in terms of sitting still for anybody's long boring stories...if there is a dog in the story, I want to know the dog's name...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here's one, credited only to "Daily News Reporter in Sumbawanga", the link is to dailynews.co.tz...dated 28th February 2010.

Couple killed on witchcraft suspicion

Unknown people last week stormed into a house in Mtapenda village in Muze Ward, Sumbawanga District and killed a couple on allegations that they were engaged in witchcraft activities, police said.
Acting Rukwa Regional Police Commander Jacob Mwaluanda named the victims as Jisena Malingaya (57) and his wife Ngolo Lugata (40).
Mr Mwaluanda said the attackers armed with machetes kicked down the front door of their house and hacked the couple to death at dawn on Thursday.
"The killings are associated with witchcraft, but investigations on the matter are going on," he said, adding that the attackers also chopped off genitals of Jisena.
However, relatives and friends of the deceased said they were deeply shocked because the couple had no enemies.

I bet they had at least one or two enemies, what do you think?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Here's a nice long article, completely on-topic, from The Independent, from which I am extracting only one little paragraph...

The dark side of India, where a witch-doctor's word means death

They came for Sanseriya Oraow on a humid monsoon Sunday. Her neighbours dragged the middle-aged mother from her house and hammered a nail through her skull into her brain. Then, while she was still alive but in desperate pain, they sewed her up in a sack and dumped her in the nearby Murti river. Two days later, the police recovered her body.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Here's a little comment-piece/overview by Malcolm Gaskill from today's Guardian...

Witch-hunts then - and now

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Here's one dated March 10, 2010 ...the link is to indianexpress.com, and the piece is written by Manoj Prasad.

Jharkand woman branded witch, killed

Even as the world outside observed International Women's Day on Monday, at Sikriatanr in Simdega district of Jharkand, a mob of 150 tribals branded a woman of their tribe as witch and beat her to death. According to 58-year-old Birsa Chik, his wife Geeta Devi (55) was accused of being a witch and killed. Her body was later sent to the Sadar hospital for post-mortem. Trouble began when two villagers, Muska Chick (57) and his nephew Sukra (45) were told by an exorcist that Muska's 22-year-old son Jairam, who probably suffered from typhoid, was a victim of a spell cast by Geeta. A panchayat was held and soon 150 Chik Baraiks charged at Geeta with sticks and beat her up till she died ...

[edit on 7-4-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hey hey, ... before we make a terrorist of this guy , ... what was he supposed to do ??? she was a witch !!!

jeez, were only as evolved as the most primitive of us.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Here's three bits all relating to some dude known as Bishop Sunday Ulup-Aya.

I must stress that none of this material lists any named person who was killed as a witch, and its inclusion in this thread is an exception and does not constitute me saying that Sunday Ulup-Aya is an actual witch-killer...because from these sources, who did he kill? ...I just think this is interesting reading and if thus off-topic yet still related to the thread's subject.

Let's start with what is evidently/apparently a petition (and I would encourage you all to click through and read it, I'm just touching on a couple points)...(I tried to give the name of where the link is to but the ATS censor program made hash of it, and it breaks the link, too, go to Nigeriavillagesquare.com, but the capital "N" should be lower-case)
Abuse And Persecution Of Akwa Ibom Children On Account Of Witchcraft - Petition

Save our children from further witch-hunt, abandonment, abuse, maiming, false imprisonment and killing in the name of religion.
We have watched in horror and read of the estimated 15,000 defenseless children in Akwa Ibom State, falsely accused of witchcraft being abandoned, abused, persecuted, killed and imprisoned by some churches and "people of God" against their will to force confession from them...

All are stigmatized, some face humiliation, attacks with bodily harm such as burning, driving nail into the skull, broken bones, forced to sit on hot item, imprisoned by some churches to force confession...

Our attention is drawn to one bishop Sunday Ulup-Aya of a church in Ibaka who has openly confessed to killing "up to 110 people...identified to be a witch." He concocts a high quality of local gin (Akai-kai) with African mercury (lead poison) popularly known as "Ekim", mixing them with his blood for the young victims to drink. He confesses to making a fortune as much as 400,000 naira to destroy witch in a child. He falsely claims there are estimated 2.3 million witches and wizards in Akwa Ibom, which is nearly half the state total population of 4.8 million by 2005 estimate...

This next bit is from theghanianjournal.com of April 9, 2010...the link to this version is broken, but I got this out of the googled cache, but I run into trouble trying to link to the cache (I'm still stupid computer-wise) ...no author credited but "admin"...
Gospel of Wickedness - The Hypocrisy and Falsehood of Helen Ukpabio

(Note: the confusing issue of the sex of the pronouns in the part about the boy locked up to eat the corpse is in the original, I left it verbatim, ah well...)

The fact is that Sunday Ulup-Aya was a jobless miscreant who latched on to the money-spinning witch-hunting business...He proclaimed himself a "Bishop" and the "Ulup-Aya" part of his name was a created one which means "a concealed secret had been revealed". This was part of his grand design to create fear and befuddle the ignorant masses. His activities raised concern in the Oron region of Akwa Ibom state. Oron region in Akwa Ibom state is one place where the belief in child witchcraft is very endemic. This region consists of five local government areas and they all speak the Oron language. One day, in December 2007, one Lieutenant Iweke of the Nigerian navy, Ibaka, sent a distress call soliciting for assistance over the plight of a child whose condition was so desperate that urgent help was needed. The child was found by volunteers covered with blood and urine. The child's name is Edidiong or Blessing and is probably the most recognized face in the Channel Four film. Only recently, towards the end of February 2010, another child (a boy) was recovered by volunteers with the assistance of the Assistant Commissioner of Police, Oron command. This child was accused of being responsible for her mother's death and subsequently locked up in a room containing the mother's corpse with a specific instruction to eat the corpse, if she wanted to live. This boy was identified as a witch by a church (your guess is as good as mine as to the ownership of the church) alongside his grandmother who managed to escape. But the boy was not so lucky and spent 21 days locked up with his mother's corpse without food. Of course, the corpse was well-eaten by the time the boy was rescued!...
...[Ulup-Aya] demanded for and accepted thirty thousand naira before he declared the witchcraft status of the innocent children. He did not realize he was being baited and he fell in headlong, enthusiastically boasting of his powers as seen in the film. Above all, he boasted of his murderous activities as well as claiming to have killed a lot of people (children and adults) who possessed witchcraft. In the lawless jungle of the superstitious Oron area of Akwa Ibom, Sunday Ulup-Aya is a much-feared man and many people today could testify to the fact of Sunday Ulup-Aya being a noted killer of witches.

Finally, from a piece from the BBC. no author listed, dated 4 December 2008...
Nigeria 'child witch killer' held

Police in south-east Nigeria have arrested a man who claimed to have killed 110 child "witches".
"Bishop" Sunday Ulup-Aya told a documentary film team he "delivered" children from demonic possession.
But after his arrest, he reportedly told police he had only killed the "witches" inside, not the children.
Mr. Ulup-Aya reportedly told police he had not actually killed children.
"We have him on tape admitting to killing," said Mr [Akwa Ibom State spokesman Aniekan] Umanah.

(You know, I almost feel like erasing this post, with two out of three links being screwed up, ah well..).

[edit on 13-4-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Here is a nicely filmed video on the subject, produced evidently by ABC Australia.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Here's one where they (are accused of having) killed the witch and her four grandchildren...kids in the wrong place wrong time, evidently...gotta watch that...
The link is to dispatch.co.za, dated September 4 2010, no writer's name I can see to credit...
‘Witch’ claim in granny slaying case

WITCHCRAFT claims emerged at the Ngqeleni Magistrate’s Court yesterday during a bail application for the 10 men accused of killing a Transkei granny and her four grandchildren.
In court yesterday, senior State prosecutor advocate Mduduzi Mzila said accusations of witchcraft were the motive behind the brutal murder of 85-year-old Masilenge Bambusiba and her grandchildren.
Opposing bail, Mzila said the accused had discussed committing the crime at the homes of one of the accused, Tamsanqa Magwanqana.
Mzila said that a day before the murder a group of youths met at Magwanqana’s house, where the brutal murder of Bambusiba family “blended”.
“They discussed that there was a list where some youths in the village were going to be bewitched by the deceased (Bambusiba).
“Some of the people said to be on that list are some of the accused in the dock today.
“Even after the murder, they came together and received feedback that the murders had been successfully committed,” he said.
Mzila alleged that in execution of the crime, the accused went to the house of the elderly woman and killed her and her four grandchildren.
He told the court that according to some of the State witnesses, after the murder was carried out the accused told some of the people who would now testify for the State.
The accused were arrested days after the murder of Bambusiba, her three grandsons – Lwazi Bambusiba, 17, Lwando Bambusiba, 10, and Vela Nogemane, 9 – and granddaughter, Ezile Nogemane,5.
Their bodies were found lying in a pool of blood with wounds to their heads, faces and bodies on August 22.
The 10 accused are Siyabuza Celane, 21; Luthando Qhunuvane, 20; Bongani Gwadiso, 21; Mlulami Nkonyanebomvu, 20; Ndumiso Mangwanqana, 20; Macebo Qhuba, 23; Malwande Bambusiba, 22; Tamsanqa Magwanqana, 20; Ncedakele Nyawuzayo, 26; and Moses Mandlakapheli, 65.
Only two of the accused, Macebo Qhuba and Malwande Bambusiba, were called before the bench yesterday and both indicated they intended to plead not guilty.
Mzila said among the gang there were others who wanted to kill more of Bambusiba’s family members who were not in the hut during the murders.
“But there was no agreement among them.
“So there is this unfinished murder which, if the accused are granted bail, could proceed ,” said Mzila.
Mzila also said that on previous occasions Bambusiba’s house had been burnt down over the same witchcraft allegations.
Mzila said bloodstained clothing was found in some of the accused’s houses and murder weapons – an axe and bush knife with blood on them – were found hidden behind a wardrobe.
“Some of the accused when arrested even apologised in front of the parents for the murder they said they committed,” Mzila said.
The murder weapons were not displayed in court as Mzila said they had been sent to Pretoria for forensic investigation .

join