It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another School Shooting, this time at the University of Alabama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Three Killed in Alabama Shooting

WASHINGTON, Feb. 12, 2010 (Reuters) — Three people were killed and one wounded in shootings at the University of Alabama at Huntsville on Friday, and the suspected shooter was in custody, a university spokesman told local television. Ads by GoogleAdvertise here NiMH and Li-Ion batteries environmentally friendly lots of helpful information www.greenbatteries.com "We have three confirmed people who are dead, one injured. The police have secured the building. The shooter is in custody," the spokesman said. CNN said the suspect was a woman.

These school shootings are getting out of control. What's different about this one is that this time it was a female suspect! I haven't seen any other details on this story yet, but am curious what prompted it this time.

Although it's news and must be reported, sometimes I question whether it should be shown on TV as extensively as it is. It seems to inspire more crazies to shoot people to become famous/infamous. Have school shootings always been this common in the U.S., or did they start becoming more common with the Columbine incident? I wonder if they would happen as often if they were not covered the way they are these days. Is the media doing more harm than good? Oftentimes I think that is the case.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I have not even seen who this shooter is or what she looks like. If she turns out to be Asian then red flags should go up. I mean seriously. Who will want to come to American Universities for higher education if there is killings all the time on campus? There is already a brain drain in America.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
u guys are in dangerous out there ... every week some one is dying on these colleges ...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
They are saying the suspect is a Harvard-trained neuroscientist disgruntled over denial of tenure...
Guns don't kill people, advanced degrees do...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperFoxBat

Are you trying to suggest India, China, or some other Asian country would plan school shootings to prevent their brightest minds from coming to the US to study and work?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

I dont think its news that motivates, how many people actually learn history and hear about this:

Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941 – August 1, 1966), a student at the University of Texas at Austin, killed 14 people and wounded 32 others during a shooting rampage on and around the university's campus. Three were killed inside the University's tower and ten killed from the 28th floor observation deck of the University's 307 foot administrative building on August 1, 1966; one died a week later from her wounds. The tower massacre happened shortly after Whitman murdered his wife and mother at their homes. He was shot and killed by Austin Police Officer Houston McCoy,[1] assisted by Austin Police Officer Ramiro Martinez.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Recent reports are saying ten people injured, three killed. The incident occurred in an Engineering building on campus.

The two suspects are thought to be a married couple.

(I heard this on tv news.)

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Awesome stuff. Nothing like a school shooting to make the day a little better.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

What?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is sad and I am not making light of it. But people tend to view history with rose colored glasses.

Look how much the wild west is amped up. How much people respect Billy the Kid and Jesse James.

Fact is though, these gunmen walked into towns and terrorized people. Not unlike school shooters. Yet we idolize those acts. Why?

But the people of those towns having to avoid gand members, would of been every bit of scared as we are today.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Originally posted by Whine Flu

What?

Another day, another school shooting, another thread made we get a little overzealous with our stars and flags and here we find ourselves glorifying these matters.

Everyone thrives on these shootings and everyone feigns their apologetic feelings. It's amazing.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
There was 2 shootings? 3 died in this one, what about the other one? Remember the prediction of a school shooting this year and the numbers 23 standing out. Did the other school have 2 deaths?

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Ear-Responsible]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

absolutely agreed. maybe we live in too much of a stressful society...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I just heard about this a couple hours ago. I live in Decatur, AL which is about 20 minutes away from UAH. Hopefully this does not become a trend in my neck of the woods. About a week or so ago a child at a Madison, AL middle school was fatally shot in the head by another student. Madison is right outside of Huntsville, both in the same county.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
What are they gonna shift the blame to this time? My money is on video games, never fails.

new topics

top topics

join