It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airborne Laser - Succesfully shoots down missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
A major breakthrough in the proof of concept 'Airborne Laser'. This is a milemarker in 21st century weapons development.

The Missile Defense Agency demonstrated the potential use of directed energy to defend against ballistic missiles when the Airborne Laser Test Bed (ALTB) successfully destroyed a boosting ballistic missile.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9b0e50252023.jpg[/atsimg]

At 8:44 p.m. (PST), February 11, 2010, a short-range threat-representative ballistic missile was launched from an at-sea mobile launch platform.

Within seconds, the ALTB used onboard sensors to detect the boosting missile and used a low-energy laser to track the target. The ALTB then fired a second low-energy laser to measure and compensate for atmospheric disturbance.

Finally, the ALTB fired its megawatt-class High Energy Laser, heating the boosting ballistic missile to critical structural failure. The entire engagement occurred within two minutes of the target missile launch, while its rocket motors were still thrusting.

This was the first directed energy lethal intercept demonstration against a liquid-fuel boosting ballistic missile target from an airborne platform. The revolutionary use of directed energy is very attractive for missile defense, with the potential to attack multiple targets at the speed of light, at a range of hundreds of kilometers, and at a low cost per intercept attempt compared to current technologies.

Less than one hour later, a second solid fuel short-range missile was launched from a ground location on San Nicolas Island, Calif. and the ALTB successfully engaged the boosting target with its High Energy Laser, met all its test criteria, and terminated lasing prior to destroying the second target.

The ALTB destroyed a solid fuel missile, identical to the second target, in flight on February 3, 2010.

Airborne Laser

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well, the 'airborne laser' i certainly welcome a useful weapon in the arsenal. What of the Space-borne version of this weapon mounted on the Space=capable TR3B? More power (?), more punch (?).
Does not the US Navy have a hand in this? RE: the US Navy Space battle program.!?

And not to exclude = How about the Electromagnetic Rail-gun ?

Rod

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Oh we have many gadgets that do cost several billion, but lets not forget boys will be boys.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/32f1f85561d1c21c.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What an impressive engineering achievement!!

Who is the system integrator on that program? If I knew, I'd sure buy a lot of their stock!

I suggest you buy some, too!!

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Off_The_Street

Here you go

Link

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I had heard this laser beam was about the size of a basketball.

---el segundo ---

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Actually, I think this might be the better link:

www.boeing.com...

[edit on 18-2-2010 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Indeed, upon further reading, i see that both Boeing and Lockheed are on a joint venture project.

edit:

Video 1

Video 2

[edit on 18-2-2010 by tristar]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If this laser can fit in a plane, in 100 years time, imagine this technology, in something the size of a handgun. Those sci-fi movies that everyone dreams about aren't so far from reality anymore. I just can't tell if it is good, or bad.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by N1ghtCr4wl3r
If this laser can fit in a plane, in 100 years time, imagine this technology, in something the size of a handgun.

Its already done and proven. Have you read news posts regarding social crowd control. ?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This technology renders any traceable aircraft useless. I heard while in the AF that the range on this thing is actually only limited by the curviture of the earth between it and its target and some weather situations can limit its ability over longer distances.

You can bet if this thing can be fited to that space plane they have zooming around the earth that it will be. Imagine if they targeted your head from space...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
This technology renders any traceable aircraft useless. I heard while in the AF that the range on this thing is actually only limited by the curviture of the earth between it and its target and some weather situations can limit its ability over longer distances.

You can bet if this thing can be fited to that space plane they have zooming around the earth that it will be. Imagine if they targeted your head from space...

Indeed it was limited back in the 80's. Now we have LEO's and as such have no distortion in images or communications.

top topics

join