2 people dead - 2 critical - UAH College Huntsville, AL

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

2 people dead - 2 critical - UAH College Huntsville, AL

Currently ongoing. Two people in custody. Two school shootings within a week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is happening as I type... Trying to break news... BUt have to have an opinion. Two shootings in one week is unreal! 1 suspect is in custody according to police spokesman. 2 confirmed fatalities. THey think they are all faculty members.

Why... Why... Why... Husband and Wife team possibly are the shooters.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

HUNTSVILLE, AL - There are reports of a shooting at UAHuntsville, at the Shelby Center. We understand the campus is in lockdown.

We have no official word yet, about the severity of the shooting. However, one law enforcement official said it was "exceptionally bad."
Source: www.whnt.com...

Breaking, so no real word yet. The local CBS affiliate is saying there were two shooters, two faculty members dead, two more in critical, and the local hospital is alerted to expect at least ten cases.

This school is 40 miles from me.

Modern life comes to Alabama.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
2 People Shot Dead At Alabama College Campus

kdka.com...

3 dead, 1 hurt in shooting on University of Alabama-Huntsville campus

www2.wsls.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
WHNT just verified that all three fatalities were faculty members.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
No coverage at all here just north of Birmingham. Not so odd in itself given the non-stop snow coverage. It's likely the campus was closed except for staff.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Here is what WHNT-19 is saying now:

The shooting happened during a meeting of the biology department staff that was scheduled at 4:00 PM. A female faculty member who had apparently been denied tenure walked in and opened fire.

Three of the staff are dead, two are in Huntsville Hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds, and one is there in stable condition. The shooter is in custody.

The one bright spot in all this is that none of those injured or killed were students, but that cannot diminish the tragedy that this event has ended three lives and at best thrown three more into upheaval. And worse, there were students in the Shelby Building at the time that she placed in danger; under Alabama State Law, this shooter is eligible for capital punishment, and I hope she gets it.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Al Jazeera news on this

Heres some info from Al Jazeera as well.

This is very sad... can we just stop shooting each other yet?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I have relatives visiting from Knoxville, TN. They told me there has been a similar shooting in Knoxville. Apparently a teacher walked into the office and shot two people (principal and vice principal?). He had been denied tenure.
Here's the link to the local paper. www.huffingtonpost.com... ng_n_457493.html

I've often wondered, would these things keep happening if we didn't sensationalize it in the press?

[edit on 12-2-2010 by smyleegrl]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Bishop, 42, was taken Friday night in handcuffs from a police precinct to the county jail and could be heard saying, "It didn't happen. There's no way .... they are still alive''

I believe her. Sounds like she foolishly decided to participate in a DHS-style ''drill'' and pick up some extra cash. Then she found out the joke was on her, just like Ft. Hood's Nidal Hasan and the alleged Pittsburgh Fitness club shooter George Sodini.

She allegedly shot six people? That's ridiculous right off the bat. Most women don't like guns, much less have that kind of gun handling ability.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by starviego]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
The local CBS affiliate is saying there were two shooters
And those early reports are usually right.

Do ya' ever notice how these shootings always occur in areas where the local congressman has a strong pro-gun rights voting record?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Most women don't like guns, much less have that kind of gun handling ability.
reply to post by starviego

Interesting point, but not necessarily true.

I have several female friends who are avid hunters. I have a female friend who is a champion sharpshooter.

I have several female friends who are quite comfortable handling (and using) a gun.

Just clarifying things.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Here is what WHNT-19 is saying now:

The shooting happened during a meeting of the biology department staff that was scheduled at 4:00 PM. A female faculty member who had apparently been denied tenure walked in and opened fire.

Three of the staff are dead, two are in Huntsville Hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds, and one is there in stable condition. The shooter is in custody.

The one bright spot in all this is that none of those injured or killed were students, but that cannot diminish the tragedy that this event has ended three lives and at best thrown three more into upheaval. And worse, there were students in the Shelby Building at the time that she placed in danger; under Alabama State Law, this shooter is eligible for capital punishment, and I hope she gets it.

TheRedneck

Wow, I haven't seen channel 19 in -years-.

Yeah... when I was living in L'burg, the news was always peachy. Nothing like this for sure ever happened...

The only reason we'd watch channel 19 all the time is because Dan Satterfield was the best one at warning us of an incoming tornado or storm.

To see that this kind of thing is happening in that peaceful place I used to call home... Darnit.

Just darnit.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

She allegedly shot six people? That's ridiculous right off the bat. Most women don't like guns, much less have that kind of gun handling ability.

I would classify 'ridiculous' as trying to logically move from the general to the specific. Perhaps it is true that "most women don't like guns", but that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not a woman could have walked in and shot six unarmed people.

And those early reports are usually right.

Not exactly, not this time.

HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - The woman accused of killing three faculty members at University of Alabama Huntsville has been charged with capital murder.

Police said a female member of the UA-Huntsville faculty shot and killed three co-workers on campus Friday afternoon.

Sources close to the investigation identify the suspect as Dr. Amy Bishop.

Police also have the alleged shooter's husband in custody. He has not been formally charged with anything.

(emphasis mine)
Source: www.waff.com...

It is completely possible that the husband was unaware of what was about to transpire. Rumors floating around at this time would appear to agree with this stance, although rumors of course are not fact.

Do ya' ever notice how these shootings always occur in areas where the local congressman has a strong pro-gun rights voting record?

Do you ever wonder why these shootings seem to happen where guns are forbidden outright? It is already illegal to possess any type of firearm in any capacity except law enforcement anywhere near a school, including a college campus. That worked out real good this time, didn't it?

One woman apparently walked into a faculty meeting and proceeded to shoot six unarmed people at point-blank range. They are:
  • G. K. Podila - chairman of the Department of Biological Sciences - DEAD
  • Maria Ragland Davis - Associate of the Department of Biological Sciences - DEAD
  • Adriel Johnson - Associate of the Department of Biological Sciences - DEAD
  • Joseph Leahy - critical condition, Huntsville Hospital
  • Luis Rogelio Cruz-Vera - stable condition (upgraded from critical), Huntsville Hospital
  • Stephanie Monticello - stable condition, Huntsville Hospital
The UAH website is currently working too slow to get full information on the latter three's actual titles/positions. Hopefully I can get more information on them later on.

These six people are not at home with their families tonight. Three of them will never again be home with their families. Three lives ended, and three more thrown into turmoil... and you want to bring gun control into this tragedy? You want to use it to further some political agenda?

How about this for some wild speculation: if only one of these six people (or the others who were in attendance) had been packing a sidearm, would the shooter then have had time to kill or wound six people before one of them got her? If, as you claim, she was not fully competent with a handgun, how much time elapsed between aim, fire, aim, fire, aim, fire, aim, fire, aim, fire, aim, fire?

And worse, there were students in the Shelby Center at the time. I know at least one of them. I was desperately trying to call him last night until it was announced that no students were involved. I got no answer; it went straight to voice-mail. Apparently 'Waldo' (a nickname to protect identity) is fine, but what if he wasn't? He has high hopes for a bright future which could have been snuffed out in a moment with no way for himself or anyone around him to protect themselves.

Yeah, take your anti-gun propaganda elsewhere. I really don't want to hear it right now. I'm too busy praying for three lives and six families.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Wow, I haven't seen channel 19 in -years-.

I'm really sorry that your reintroduction was over such a tragedy.

But it's nice to know someone else knows the area.

The only reason we'd watch channel 19 all the time is because Dan Satterfield was the best one at warning us of an incoming tornado or storm.

Satterfield is still around. He was the best after Gary Dobbs on WAAY Channel 31 semi-retired.

We generally get our weather info now from WAFF Channel 48. they seem to have the best forecasting system at the moment. The three affiliates seem to take turns on who has the best forecasting set-up.

Oh, how I long to hear simple reports on how Panoply went and who was there instead of stories like this...

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Another link to New York Times coverage:

nytimes

The shooter was evidently denied tenure. A very big deal if you're a professor. Contrary to the idyllic image of academic life, universities can be real pressure cookers for faculty.

In my opinion the woman probably already had mental health issues before she attended the faculty meeting.

Unusual for a woman to initiate a mass murder, but it happened.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
www.newser.com...

Alabama Suspect Fatally Shot Brother 24 Years Ago
Massachusetts police ruled it an accident
(Newser) – The Alabama professor charged with killing three fellow professors yesterday fatally shot her younger brother 24 years ago. She faced no charges because the 1986 shooting was ruled accidental, the Boston Globe reports. Police said Amy Bishop was unloading a round from the chamber of a 12-gauge shotgun when it went off and struck her 18-year-old brother, an acclaimed violinist and budding scientist.

"Every indication at this point in time leads us to believe it was an accidental shooting," police in Braintree, Massachusetts, said at the time. Bishop, who was 20 at the time, had asked her mother to show her how to unload the weapon. No word yet on whether police plan to reopen the case.

I guess this throws a twist on things.

news.bostonherald.com...

Braintree chief: Slay probe into Ala. shooter aborted in ‘86
By O’Ryan Johnson
Saturday, February 13, 2010 - Updated 1m ago

The Braintree police chief said today the woman accused of gunning down three in an Alabama shooting rampage shot and killed her brother during an argument in 1986 - but no police report exists and she was never charged.

Chief Paul Frazier said Amy Bishop shot her brother in the chest, fled the house, pointed the shotgun at another car, then fled into woods.

Police found her and arrested her, but during the booking process the former police chief called and interceded, Frazier said. No investigation took place after that and the incident report was lost or discarded.

“This would never happen in this day and age,” Frazier said.

Frazier has forwarded the case to the Norfolk DA’s office for investigation.

Bishop, a University of Alabama biology professor accused of gunning down three of her colleagues during a faculty meeting Friday, had been denied tenure and only had months left teaching at the school, a university official said yesterday. Some have said Bishop, a 42-year-old with a Harvard doctorate, opened fire because of a dispute over the issue.

Developing...

Thats crazy.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That definitely throws a twist on things. I am quite sure she has mental issues (what sane person would shoot six people at a staff meeting?) but it may be a moot point to reopen the case. She is charged with capital murder, and you can (unfortunately) only kill her once.

Three times would be a more apt penalty, IMO.

Great bit of investigative work there!

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
www.boston.com...

Ala. suspect was questioned in bomb case
Officials thought woman may have had motive to target Newton doctor in 1993
A biology professor accused of killing three colleagues and wounding three more in a shooting rampage at the University of Alabama in Huntsville on Friday was a suspect in the attempted mail bombing of a Harvard Medical School professor in 1993, a law enforcement official said yesterday.

Amy Bishop and her husband were questioned after a package containing two pipe bombs was sent to the Newton home of Dr. Paul Rosenberg, a Harvard Medical School professor and physician at Children’s Hospital Boston. At the time, Bishop was working as a postdoctoral fellow in the hospital’s human biochemistry lab.

It was the second stunning revelation in two days about Bishop’s past. On Saturday, authorities said Bishop fatally shot her brother in Braintree in 1986 and was not charged after state prosecutors concluded that it was accidental.

More and more coming out on this womans past.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Another politcal figure connected to a killer let free. U.S. Rep Bill Delahunt was the DA involed in dropping the case against Bishop in 1986. Previously ex Governor Mike Huckabee was connected to Maurice Clemmons who ambushed and shot four police officers in a coffee shop.
en.wikipedia.org...

He served a term in the Massachusetts House of Representatives (1973–75) before serving as a district attorney of Norfolk County for more than 20 years.

abcnews.go.com...
www.house.gov...

Its amazing how these political leaders leave trails of releasing killers into society.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join