reply to post by ModernAcademia
Pros: it sometimes seems like you almost HAVE TO buy local, natural, and organic.
cons: been pourin down rain all day.
not having zevia sucks, but being ats's only celebrity bartender I have a solution...
make your own ginger beer!
1. Get a good sized pot of water goin on the stove
2. peel and then grate fresh ginger root right into the pot.
3. squeeze a lemon, half a lime, and toss a few pineapple chunks into the mixture.
4. let it simmer and ad some spices too if you want, I've even heard of people throwing some thyme...just go crazy.
5. add some raw organic sugar to taste, or molasses, or honey, or a combo
when yer whole neighborhood starts to smell like ginger and citrus then take it off the heat. Let it cool, and strain it through cheesecloth to
remove all the fruit and pulp. bottle it in air tight flip top bottles, but before you seal it add about a half a teaspoon of champagne yeast. Let
those puppies sit at room temp in a dark place for a few days.
careful when opening, the yeast can make it very carbonated, I've had ginger beer shoot 4 feet in the air our of the bottle before. Store it in the
fridge after the yeast has done it's job.
Ginger beer is more potent then ginger ale and is a classic cocktail ingredient, shouldn't take you more than 20 or 30 minutes to whip together a
batch, and you'll know exactly whats in it.