It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: 30 Hidden Supermassive Black Holes Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
One of the greatest mysteries in the Universe the Black Hole has in the modern era been the source of both science and speculation. The following report only answers one aspect of this mystery and that is the numbers, It seems there are far more black holes than some have suspected....

MSNBC.com

European researchers have found 30 previously hidden supermassive black holes
anchoring faraway galaxies, which suggests there at least twice as many of the colossal gravity wells as thought.

Supermassive black holes hold as much matter as millions or billions of suns. The newfound black holes were long sought but went unnoticed because they lurk behind veils of dust and are so faraway that even the galaxies they anchor are difficult to examine in any detail.

"This discovery means that surveys of powerful supermassive black holes have so far underestimated their numbers by at least a factor of two, and possibly by up to a factor of five," said study leader Paolo Padovani from Space Telescope-European Coordinating Facility and the European Southern Observatory in Munich, Germany.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is hard to comprehend a single black hole as being a mass millions or billions times that of our own sun. A void where space and time and all of the knowns seem to vanish.

And there are many of them.

Related ATS Discussion:

What is beyond the abyss

Related Web site:

Black Hole

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Wow, not much of an expert on such matters...but yey Europe for such a good find!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Not so hidden now are they?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
space have never cease to fascinate me

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I want the black holes to be discovered as a means of travel........like some kind of 'space subway system' that we have not yet understood.
Learning that there are so many more than previously thought, makes me want them to be this 'subway sytem' even MORE!

(NOT an origonal idea of my own~NO,NO,NO~ I got this idea from Carl Sagan)...and he was 'WAY BIG SMARTNESS'

Just because I would like something to be true does NOT make it so..so dont yell at me

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
if there are so many black holes sucking light and energy out of our universe than were does it go??? and also where does the new energy an mass come from to replace what was lost from our universe (if none was replaced that would mean our universe was shrinking and not expanding as we so think?)

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
if there are so many black holes sucking light and energy out of our universe than were does it go??? and also where does the new energy an mass come from to replace what was lost from our universe

interesting reply blobby

Maybe it works like this: At the center of every galaxy there is a supermassive black hole including our own and these black holes will continue to draw everything in and all that there is will spiral into these voids. So one day there will be NOTHING but one big black hole. hmmm

Gazz

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What interests me is the Thing in the Galaxy's core!

Is it what they call a Quasar?

I heard that our Milky Way Galaxy may have a Quasar in it's center.

I don't know what is going on out there but it seems cataclysmic!

I will die not fully understanding the truth of the Cosmos.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
How much more then just plain invisible can they get?

Just wondered??????????

Q

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Hey--thanks! I've been looking for those for weeks! I knew I'd left them somewhere...

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Q]

new topics

top topics

join