It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should this unnerve me?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Perhaps the conspiracy theorist in me is working overtime..or maybe I'm just too old school.
My son is in grade 6, and today he brought home a note that his class will be participation in a GPS (global positioning system) learning session next week.
Supposedly it is an outdoor activity being offered by a faculty of education student at a nearby university.
Well, with everything I know about GPS..this bothers me. I can't for the life of me figure out why it needs to be taught to grade 6 students.
Somebody please rest my fears, and tell me I'm over-reacting and give me a good reason.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Hey AccessDenied,

I think you're overreacting a little. I'm a teacher, I teach fifth grade. One of our curriculum goals involves students learning how to read maps, latitude and longitude, etc. We've done the GPS "fieldtrip" as a supplemental activity many times. It's pretty much like going on an Easter egg hunt, just holding the GPS. When we did it, we hid various containers with little toys and junk, then gave the coordinates to the kids. They use their GPS systems to navigate the area, find the toys, and have fun.

Hope that helped.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
tell me I'm over-reacting and give me a good reason.

Get closer to you kid and educate him about everything you've learned since seeing through the smoke and mirrors.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I don't think your over-reacting, I think you are being a parent. In my opinion, the school should have this event pretty well organized, but it wouldn't harm to ring the school to find out a little more about this activity.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Hi there.
I'm a little confused why learning how to use GPS bothers you?

As for the activity, I've used something similar (but with high school) to teach the basics. Both GPS and Map/Compass. It's a cool skill to have and the activity makes it fun to learn. I've also gone with my niece (3rd grade) on a geocaching hunt, to kill some time and get her into the woods for a fun hike. It is rather like hide and seek/find the hidden items, kinda thing.

My guess is the school is trying to teach some technological skills based in experiential learning. However, if you are at all concerned, perhaps you could tag along and help out? Or, is that weird for a kid in 6th grade? Haha.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yes you should be.

This is part of the Obama plan to indoctrinate children in accepting total government surveillance which will lead to the eventual chipping and mind control of the population.

I wonder how long until they teach kids how to inform on Mom and Dad.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by superrat

Could you explain a bit more on why you think this is indoctrination into accepting total Govt.?

[edit on 12-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I can see the argument for both sides. My point is that I see GPS from a conspiracy point of view..hence..a bad thing.
I have no problem with him learning how to navigate with a compass or even by the stars...
I realize technology has come far, and this is the future..but it just feels all wrong to me.
Unfortunately I have a little one at home, and tagging along on an outdoor activity is not an option.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Like any other tool GPS can bused for good or ill. Teach you kid a healthy fear of authority and some of the people behind it and let him learn how to use all the tools available to us for the betterment of us all.

I guess what I am saying is things are not evil in themselves only some people are, teach your children right and wrong, but don't bury their heads in the sand.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Hmmm...

How about thinking of it like this... if one doesn't understand the technology, than how does one know how to (or learn how to) avoid the technology (when or if) it mattered?

Just more food for thought...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Hmmm...

How about thinking of it like this... if one doesn't understand the technology, than how does one know how to (or learn how to) avoid the technology (when or if) it mattered?

Just more food for thought...

Yes..I have had that thought.
I DO teach my older children most of what I learn here..but I have not yet introduced my younger children to the world of conspiracies. To them ATS is the place where "All Mommy's friends are"
I suppose it is time to have a small talk with my son.Without the fearmongerring overkill of course.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I don't see the issue. It's no worse than using a calculator in math class. Makes me recall the old days when we had to use a slide rule in physics and chemistry because there was no such thing as a hand held calculator.
At least that anyone could afford.

Now if they were going to shoot him in the neck with a dart and then track him, I might be concerned for your son. If it was my 16 year old, it probably wouldn't bother me. He'd pull out the dart and make someone PAY

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
GPS receivers are for the most part benign. All they do is receive a signal from three or more satellites to triangulate your position on earth. They are incapable of transmitting that position.

Now, if your child has a cell phone, then that most likely has a GPS chip in it, and it CAN be used to transmit your child's position. This can be used by the government (presumably only with a search warrant) or Emergency Services to track your child.

All in all, I would be more worried about the technology you and your children carry with you every day than a one time lesson on how it works.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Learning the uses and purpose of different technologies is not a bad thing.

Being taught to rely on them solely(such as my students who cant do wimple math without a calculator) is a terrible thing.

Teaching them they cannot live without these techs is as bad as it gets.

I personally would contact the teacher and ask for an overview of the curriculum, to determine which one of these categories the lesson will fall into.

then act accordingly.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
GPS receivers are for the most part benign. All they do is receive a signal from three or more satellites to triangulate your position on earth. They are incapable of transmitting that position.

Now, if your child has a cell phone, then that most likely has a GPS chip in it, and it CAN be used to transmit your child's position. This can be used by the government (presumably only with a search warrant) or Emergency Services to track your child.

All in all, I would be more worried about the technology you and your children carry with you every day than a one time lesson on how it works.

You bring up a great point.

And let's not forget that every debit card now has RFID, as well as most state id's.

Chances are, you and your loved ones are already carrying more invasive tech than a gps module.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It's good to ask questions, especially about what your children are learning in school. My child came home with an assignment once to draw blueprints of their homes.

I had a little chat with the teacher about that one. Unless he's planning on breaking in or remodeling, there's no need for them to have the blueprints to my home. He couldn't even really give me a good reason why they were learning about blueprints either.

Another time I got a visit from DEA because the kids were asked by their teacher if anyone in their home smoked hand-rolled cigarettes. I, at one time, did roll my cigarettes by hand (regular tobacco) and the DEA had been informed "by an anonymous source" that I was in possession of pot.

Never hurts to keep an eye on what government intrusions into your personal life may be going on via your child's school attendance. The GPS sounds like it's been explained with a benign purpose but don't feel bad about being vigilant. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the perspective everyone..
It just goes to show how easily one's fears can get the better of their judgment.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by superrat

That... You... Wait... What?

Holy crap, man. I think you just hurt something near my brain stem. Don't do that!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Another poster offered the best suggestion: talk to the teacher.

As parents, you are (or should be)the most important aspect of your child's education. You were their first teachers. You have so much influence over them, and a relationship with them that we teachers can never match.

That said, its a public school....they answer to YOU. Don't understannd an assignment? Ask about it. Don't see the justification for an activity? Question it.

Get a copy of your state's curriculum and see what it requires. Then, see how you can supplement that curriculum at home.

I really do think this is just a lesson using technology, not a conspiracy. But in the end you must do what you think is best for your child.

And by the way, I think your children are pretty lucky to have such a vigilant mother.....

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm more or less on the same page as "iforget" on this one.

Assuming that there is something insidious or conspiratorial about the motives for this lesson, then this GPS technology will undoubtedly only be portrayed as the best thing since sliced bread.

We all know better -- that it is subject to serious abuses. I think that our youngsters have a right to know both sides of the story ( particularly if they are only provided one side by the school system). I wouldn't want to alarm a child of Grade 6 age by pronouncing it as an outright evil, but I think they deserve to know in simple terms how it can be abused as well as be put to use for mankind's benefit.

Think of this GPS lesson as a opportunity for you as a parent to teach your child to think critically about things that are presented to them in a school setting. Perhaps you could go about this by asking your child if he/she can think of any ways that this technology could be misused. This way you won't be forcing them out of their own fear "comfort zone", but they'll come to their own conclusion that it can be good and bad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join