It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: 16 Killed at Saudi Oil Facility, Hostage Takers Arrested

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
In another attack on the Saudi oil industry gunmen made co-ordinated attacks on four compounds in the eastern city of Khobar. Along with attacking the Al-Khobar Petroleum Center, attacks were also carried out against other offices and housing compounds.
16 people are reported dead and approximately 54 foreigners were held hostage. British, American, and Italian civilians are believed to be among those who were held.
Hours after the initial attack, Saudi special forces have begun a raid on the compound in an attempt to free the hostages and capture the gunmen. Ambulances and emergency crews are on scene as the raid begins.
Six gunmen and a militant leader have been arrested at the compound by Saudi forces. Two additional gunmen were killed in the raid. There are conflicting reports as to the fate of the hostages.

Yahoo News
The attacks came two days after a top al Qaeda leader in Saudi Arabia Abdulaziz al-Muqrin issued a battle plan for an urban guerrilla war in the kingdom, in which he specified steps militants need to take to succeed in their violent campaign against the Saudi royal family.

"This is clearly targeting the oil sector" said a senior Western executive in the capital Riyadh.

Saudi police forces report that a British citizen, Michael Hamilton, was shot in front of his coworkers and tied to a car by the gunmen, then dragged for over a mile before his body was dumped over a bridge. The gunmen are have also attempted to use the hostages as human shields.

This could be a very bad sign of things to come. If there is a disruption of the oil supply the effects on not only the U.S. economy but the world economy would be catastrophic.

Postings on Islamic message boards and websites from both The Al-Quds Brigade and "Al Qaeda in the Arab Peninsula" have both claimed responsibility for the attack.

Related News Stories:
Reuters
MSNBC.com
Sky.com

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Looking at Fox news this morning its being said that al Queda is taking credit for this attack, one american was killed in the attack.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You realize that US actually imports only 10-15% oil from Middle East? Japan and China would be among the most affected.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by longbow]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The U.S. imports almost as much from Canada as it does from Saudi Arabia.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have noticed that FoxNews is giving this developing situation a lot of attendtion. Basically we have told Americans to leave Saudi Arabia (that is 30,000 people). They are still holding hostages and some are believed to be American, using them as human shields. A british citizen was dragged behind a car and dumped in a river, a 10 year old egypitan boy was publicly killed and CNN and MSNBC seem to be hardly covering it. Foxnews is treating this with a lot of attention as I think it deserves.

Isn't it odd what they choose to air.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
You realize that US actually imports only 10-15% oil from Middle East? Japan and China would be among the most affected.

if attacks disrupted production to half of 10 to 15% it could up the prices of crude oil products by quite a bit, it might seem small but it really isnt.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duke_Nukem
Hostages have been taken to be used as human shields.

[Edited on 5/29/2004 by Duke_Nukem]

They took a British citizen, tied him to a pickup truck and dragged him to his death.

There are aproximately 50 hostages.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
US embassy urges Americans to leave Saudi Arabia after small al Qaeda-linked Quds Brigades band kills at least 10 foreigners, takes 60 Americans and Italians hostage at eastern Saudi Khobar oil center Saturday. Saudi security forces surround Oasis housing compound where terrorists holed up with hostages after losing 7 men.

The Islamic terrorsts are looking thru id and letting the moslems go but are killing or keeping hostages the christians-this is the same as the Nazis did during WW2-

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigal66
The Islamic terrorsts are looking thru id and letting the moslems go but are killing or keeping hostages the christians-this is the same as the Nazis did during WW2-

Reportedly, there are children among the hostages. At least they would have the humanity to let the children go. They have done nothing to anyone.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
this is absolutly disgusting, what has our world come to when innocent people are being dragged through the streets behindcar/pickup trucks, if this was in the us they would get life (if they werent terrorists).

i feel for the hostages and their families.

i am saddened to say this but it was only a matter of time before this happened outside of iraq.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst

Originally posted by bigal66

Reportedly, there are children among the hostages. At least they would have the humanity to let the children go. They have done nothing to anyone.

terrorists do not have humanity-they kill babies as quickly as they kill a women if they are christians or another religion

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'll be waiting for Al-Jazeera's report on how Al Queda suspect in Saudi custody are horrifically abused by being forced to wear panties on their heads.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
I have noticed that FoxNews is giving this developing situation a lot of attendtion.

A british citizen was dragged behind a car and dumped in a river, a 10 year old egypitan boy was publicly killed and CNN and MSNBC seem to be hardly covering it. Foxnews is treating this with a lot of attention as I think it deserves.

I find it odd as well. The other media outlets are covering it, only Fox is inundating it's viewers with it. Then again, Fox is the only network that keeps reminding people whatever terror color alert we are at the time.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
I have noticed that FoxNews is giving this developing situation a lot of attendtion. Basically we have told Americans to leave Saudi Arabia (that is 30,000 people). They are still holding hostages and some are believed to be American, using them as human shields. A british citizen was dragged behind a car and dumped in a river, a 10 year old egypitan boy was publicly killed and CNN and MSNBC seem to be hardly covering it. Foxnews is treating this with a lot of attention as I think it deserves.

Where did you read that the militants are using Americans as human shields or that a british citizen was dragged behind a car? I read the Yahoo, MSNBC, and FoxNews stories and they are all identical. None of them mention a body being dragged thru the street, or Americans used as human shields. The boy was killed when the 4 gunmen randomly opened fire and struck the car he was riding in, killing him and setting the car on fire, fortunately his sister escaped the car unharmed.

The news reports do state that there were FOUR gunmen holding 45-60 people hostage. That they were surrounded by HUNDREDS of Saudi policemen on the 6th floor and by a helicopter overhead.

It also says that "The Al-Quds (Jerusalem) Brigade claimed responsibility for the attack in statements posted on Islamic Web sites." There is a statement signed by the "Al Qaeda in the Arab Peninsula" but it is not a claim of responsibility.

"A CIA spokesperson said the agency could not confirm who staged the attack...no immediate information about the identity of the militants. But a Saudi security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the method of the attack was "definitely inspired by al-Qaida."

In a new development, "Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United States said late Saturday that security forces rescued seven of the American hostages taken by suspected Islamic militants in Khobar. Prince Bandar bin Sultan told U.S. authorities that five of the former hostages were unharmed, while two had suffered injuries."

If you have the link to the reports of a body being dragged behind a car by one of these 4 surrounded gunmen, or of the gunmen using humans as shields, please post it. Those statements are extremely inflammatory and should not be spoken lightly or without valid evidence.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jezebel
There is a statement signed by the "Al Qaeda in the Arab Peninsula" but it is not a claim of responsibility.

Saudi security forces have cornered suspected al Qaeda militants Sunday...

If you have the link to the reports of a body being dragged behind a car by one of these 4 surrounded gunmen...

Reuters

... or of the gunmen using humans as shields, please post it.

Reuters

He's not making anything up.

-B.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
More info has been released about the Briton who was dragged to death behind a car.
Link

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Interesting that this is not being 'headlined' or covered very much by the so-called 'liberal' media.
Further interesting that this is not being commented on much by the so-called liberal members of this board. No condemnations, etc......
And what the hell is with the usage and phrasing of "militants" now?
Is that the media is showing 'tolerance and compassion' for those that are really terrorists and murderers by calling them "suspected militants"?
I suppose this is not as terrible as placing panties over the heads of prisoners or making them build naked pyramids? Strange. Let me see, they can cut the heads of people, drag people thru the streets, burn bodies then beat them beyond recognition and then hang them from bridges, but this is called the work of "militants" and merits no condemnation or outrage?
Double standards or subjective perceptions?

seekerof

Q

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Woohoo! Preach it, Seekerof!

Yet another shining example of the liberal media's lack of moral fortitude. Perhaps they lack any effective way of spinning this to their advantage, and therefore just aren't giving all the facts?

I've checked the BBC also, and can find no mention of this dragging death, only that one Briton was confirmed killed. It's sad that all the news is so slanted that you have to check 20 sources just to figure out what really happened...

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q
It's sad that all the news is so slanted that you have to check 20 sources just to figure out what really happened...

That's why ATSNN is here, Q.
We do the checking for you!

(hmmm. that would make a nice slogan!)

-B.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Interesting that this is not being 'headlined' or covered very much by the so-called 'liberal' media.
Further interesting that this is not being commented on much by the so-called liberal members of this board. Double standards or subjective perceptions?
seekerof

As a liberal myself, I have to say that it frustrates me to no end that the media omits and exploits certain events for propagation. Hence, I watch Fox News often, just to get another view and of course with the blinds shut in my house. But a huge a story as this is, WHERE is it on US media, other than Fox News???

top topics

<<   2 >>

join