It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. successfully tests airborne laser on missile

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Leave Iran alone they haven't attacked to anyone in the recent time but US have. Stop your freaking hilarious comments: "We can take down your nuclear missiles with lasers, Iran take that!" - I mean wtf? Who said they are making missiles and who said they are attacking someone. You are just too influenced by mass media. Watch youtube video fox attacks Iran you freaks! US is the most aggressive and dangerous country in the world, if someone should stop nuclear or any weapons program its US!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wonder how much energy/money is used for each laser blast?

Regardless, I bet it's tens of thousands of dollars cheaper than launching another missile to hit it.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by archasama

Iran is dangerous, their dictatorship is opressive to their own people, and constantly threatens a whole race with inialation (much like Hitler). It's like giving a child a big gun and expecting him to use it properly.

-E-

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thought I would add this to the discussion, it is pretty cool!

Death Star Laser Gun Zaps Mosquitoes Dead

They let loose mosquitoes in a glass box rigged with a camera on one side of the stage, then pointed the laser device at the box. The laser lights quickly located the mosquitoes in flight

See video here!: intellectualventureslab.com...

-E-

[edit on 12-2-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I see a video from this test on liveleak dont know if it legit

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dolby_X
I see a video from this test on liveleak dont know if it legit

www.liveleak.com...

Thats Great! thanks for the video. Looks legit to me. I'm going to add it to the beginning of the thread (crediting you of course!)

-E-

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Good news, I also doubt the timing of the test was coincidence, with Iran just making that announcement and all. This is probably our way of saying "go ahead, shoot something off! We'll just shoot it down."

Thanks for sharing... S/F...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I agree, the video posted above is from Jan. 10th, so a very timely release of info!

-E-

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Guys i just got directed here through th Iran Nuke test?? dunno personally if in any state of conformation?

But the airborne laser you speak of, I have seen it and im in Scotland.

The story goes that it was a saturday in August 2009 8th or 15th and was out taking the dogs a walk and it was a clear day, there was a military grey passenger jet that caught my attention as it was not like any other there was a different nose on it and there were 2 planes flanking it just behind it, so that caught my attention but there was a, what looked like a shadow in front of it going as far as the eye could see which was strange, and that night i did a bit of research about it and found that on that day the U.S military was doing a test flight of that piece of hardware out of Florida if i remember right?? which "kinda" means that's what i seen like %100.lol Apparently these high powered lasers are not using a visible light spectrum its like a chemical laser so that's why it looked that way and they can shoot down a missile from 400-600km away?

I thought myself "yeah that would be good for shooting missiles down" but maybe it would be even better for shooting UFO'S down as it would be almost instantaneous unlike a missile that the UFO pilots would see coming?

Have a look at the STS48 footage that has been said by a super physicist that ice particles is an unattainable position and it can only be a "craft" under intelligent control maneuvering away from a "missile"?

here is the link to see the STS48 clip
video.google.com...#

The laser plane is a reality, Yes, Is it just a missile defence plane?
I haven't the clearance to answer that.

Though i reckon it would be the ultimate tool for patrolling the skies for "missiles" and UFO'S

How long till we have a power source and high power laser small enough to be attatched to drones and then there won't be any need for people in the sky and for all the re-fueling that would be needed on a 747? But when that happens Big Brother will have eyes in the sky aswell as everywhere else!

Here is a few exerts about it...

Key Data
Aircraft
Boeing 747-400F
Engines
4 x GE engines, type CF6-80C2BSF
Laser Type
Megawatt Chemical Oxygen Iodine Laser (COIL)
Laser Wavelength
1.315 microns

If the military can get the weapon to work well enough for service, the Airborne Laser aircraft will patrol in pairs at more than 40,000 feet and inside friendly territory, scanning the horizon for missiles. When a missile is detected, a tracking laser beam will illuminate
3. it, and computers will measure the distance and calculate its course and direction.

A second high-energy laser, fired in a three- to five-second burst from the nose turret mounted on the 747, will destroy the missile.

The turret at the nose of the aircraft swivels towards the target and a 1.5m telescope mirror system inside the nose focuses the laser beam onto the missile. The laser beam locks onto the missile, which is destroyed near its launch area within seconds of lock-on.

It seems that in 1997 the plan was for seven jumbos costing a total of $6.12bn. This has now risen to $10.7bn: or maybe a lot more.

Well that's just my 2cents folks, As a witness

peace

[edit on 12-2-2010 by watsgoingon?]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It is great news that there is now a official defence system against missiles, but it's still not going to defend against small underground bombs.

You haven't, um, "beaten Ahmadinejad" or anything, since they can't make such missiles anyway, well not any time soon. They couldn't even launch them without notice. The best and worst plan they could come up with is to covertly set up some underground bombs in Israel... with Syria taking the credit, or something like that.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

Originally posted by MysterE

Take that Ahmadinejad! You want to get tough with your enriched uranium... Well were shooting rockets out of the sky with freaking lasers!

Would have been much cooler if it were "frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads" ;p

You beat me to it. LOL.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Would have been much cooler if it were "frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads" ;p

That's Hilarious!!!!!!!!!! We don't have sharks, but how about a sea bass!

-E-

So long as they are ill tempered mutated sea bass, i'm all for it!

I'm loving it.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Now that is impressive.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That lazer system was sweet... The one that took those mortor rounds out was awesome...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A couple of these look fairly good, like the THEL shooting down 3 mortar rounds all in one go.

The live leak video looks a bit sketchy, but also pretty good. I have no idea how this should look so I can't judge it.

Some of the others, don't show anything and leave scratching my saying "Where's the EATH Shattering Ka-boom?!!" , "There was SUPPOSED to be an EARTH Shattering Ka-BOOM!!!!!"

Either way, it's pretty cool tech, and I bet they have much better than what theyre showing us.

Hech those Modern Machines on WAR on the History channel with that ex-marine, or ex Navy Seal guy, that show stuff like that "Metal Storm" battery. Now thats some crzy #e right there, and when you think they had that stuff probably 15 years ago, it makes you wonder of the crazy crap they have now!

Makes me a bit scare, but I'd love to see it! ( and NOT from the "Recieving End"!!! please!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hey does that thing come in hand held size with a stun setting

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Glad to hear it! We may need such a system in the near future! (I hope not).

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It is a chemical laser which means they have to refuel on board tanks in order to get another shot. Filling those tanks would take some time. The whole point is to take out the missile before it goes into it's 2nd stage. Those chemicals are very toxic. This plane's practical use is only in an offensive posture, not defensive. They could have a nuclear powered one which is more practical because you could get multiple shots off without the need to refuel.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFoxBat
It is a chemical laser which means they have to refuel on board tanks in order to get another shot. Filling those tanks would take some time. The whole point is to take out the missile before it goes into it's 2nd stage. Those chemicals are very toxic. This plane's practical use is only in an offensive posture, not defensive. They could have a nuclear powered one which is more practical because you could get multiple shots off without the need to refuel.

I believe the US ABM strategy is a multi-tiered one. We can use these planes in conjunction with Aegis Destroyers carrying SM-2 & SM-3 missiles and land based THAAD and MTHEL systems.

We will have multiple levels of defense.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
to keep up with this see popular mechanics website....

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join