It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Shelby, Pork for Hostages Scandal.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama will stop blocking Senate confirmation of about 70 government appointees nominated by President Barack Obama, his office said.

Shelby had placed "holds" on most of Obama's nominees, delaying the Senate from acting on them, in a dispute over federal spending involving his state.

"The purpose of placing numerous holds was to get the White House's attention on two issues that are critical to our national security – the Air Force's aerial refueling tanker acquisition and the FBI's Terrorist Device Analytical Center," Shelby spokesman Jonathan Graffeo said in a statement Monday night.

Shelby wants the tanker and the new FBI explosives center to be built in Alabama. Senators frequently block individual appointments, but Shelby's blanket hold was unusual.

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

I realize that it's not a scandal as such. But the premise is the same. Sen. Shelby wants some serious pork, and he won't release Obama Nominees until he gets that pork.

But Obama is not without any recourse. He can use recess appointments to fill the spots needed.

www.whitehouse.gov...

The GOP is wanting the Democrats to play fair and to be bipartisan, often calling bills pork filled, but here we have a Republican who is being rather rude, and basically holding these appointees hostage with a ransom of pork for his state.

[edit on 2/12/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

This is a scandal. This is SOP for the asshats in Washington. If we eliminated the need for the HUGE central government, the taxes stolen from the people's labor could go to the local and state governments. The way it is, the states have to fight over what they get from the central gov.

And when will we the people stop the madness of crap like this.

This senator could give a rat's tukis about the country.

What is in it for me? Whatever happened to the JFK attitude of

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

Get em whatukno. Just tell me when to come vote. I could bring maybe twenty rednecks with and Acorn the event.
ONLY KIDDING!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Get em whatukno. Just tell me when to come vote. I could bring maybe twenty rednecks with and Acorn the event. ONLY KIDDING!

I am going to try a novel approach. I am going to campaign without taking money from special interests, or utilize groups like ACORN. I may loose spectacularly, but I will have done so honestly.

As far as Sen. Shelby goes, I was trying to shy away from calling it an outright scandal. But this is partisan politics and asinine pork barrel spending all rolled into one. The people that should be in now aren't able to because Shelby is holding out for a direct bribe.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

If you need any help just ask. Anyone, even a left leaning loony here on ATS would be better than the asshats in power now.

At least people here know how to debate and see beyond the veil.

top topics

join