It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano erupts on Caribbean island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Volcano erupts on Caribbean island

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk

A volcano on the tiny Caribbean island of Montserrat has shot a plume of ash an estimated nine miles into the sky, one of its most dramatic events since a devastating 1997 eruption that drove away half the population.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.synapses.co.uk

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is just breaking so I can't find any other source just yet.
Montserrat was originally formed from an underwater volcano.
Apparently this type of volcano is triggered by tectonic plate shifts,of which we've had many recently.
I wonder can we expect an increase in worldwide global eruptions to go along with the seeming increase in earthquakes.With the gravitational effects exerted by the recent full moon on Earth,and an extended solar minimum,it all seems to back up an expanding earth theory in my opinion.
More background on Montserrat and it s geological history
in the below link

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by asIam

Thanks for posting, I have been watching to see if an increase in volcanic or earthquakes would take place this week, and weekend, with sunspot activity and a new moon, I expect we will hear of many events.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
look, I'm sorry guys,I got my links A about face, I also can never see a "post Edit" button after I preview an edit and they never go on!!
Can Mods please fix backward links or remove thread altogether so someone more experienced can do it ?!
WHY can't I ever post an edit with the updated content?
Wheres the button?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by asIam

It's the button marked "Edit Post", right next to "Preview Post." The Preview, by the way, does not work for existing post edits. Don't use it, it'll show you the preview all right but destroy all the editing you did in the text entry area editor box place thingy. You don't get a preview. Just change/add what you wanted, then hit "Edit Post", and make sure you got it right before hitting it.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by asIam

Ignore this for a second!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/387f535ed369.jpg[/atsimg]

That's what your looking for

dammit.... this! is what your looking for

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0778007ca1cf.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 12/2/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I am aware of Monteserrat' location in the Caribbean, but this news immediately reminded me of something I saw on Dutch TV some a couple of days ago. Initially, I thought it was bullocks, but with this news breaking in, I've decided to post it anyway (source is Dutch, so I quickly translated it):

Willemstad

A tsunami will hit Curacao on February 12, at least that is predicted by a Dominican sibyl.

According to Glenn Lont of the Pentecostal church Korsou pa Kristu, the Dominican woman is often right. For instance, she predicted the disaster of Haiti two days before the earthquake actually struck the country. The next three days prayer serviced have been organized in which God is begged to avert the disaster.

source

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thought Provoker
reply to post by asIam

It's the button marked "Edit Post", right next to "Preview Post." The Preview, by the way, does not work for existing post edits. Don't use it, it'll show you the preview all right but destroy all the editing you did in the text entry area editor box place thingy. You don't get a preview. Just change/add what you wanted, then hit "Edit Post", and make sure you got it right before hitting it.

Cheers mate, yeah I did all that in other posts but all that would come up was the automatic edit message but no text that I added.
But now I THINK I know why thanks! No more previewing!
I've got the heeby jeeby's about it now and am scared to try again lol.
Sick of looking like an idiot !

Sorry for vanishing,big storm front just hit and I had to go turn off all things solar electrical

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

No I think the previewing bit was the problem....
I'd add in that gif of the stick figure whacking it's head on the pc if I could find it

reply to Mdv2:

that's interesting thanks for sharing,I will go check her out

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Found this ... thought I'd post it for you guys ...

Volcanic eruption, Montserrat, West Indies Feb 11th 2010

[edit on 12 Feb 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
A member of my family owns a house on the island (on the side opposite the volcano).

They knew that the volcano had been spewing ash for some time, and they were afraid that something like this was going to happen.

I'll have to check in and see if she's heard anything about the house.

SD, thanks for the video! If I can find it on YouTube I'll forward it to her.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

yikes!!
Imagine if the wind changed!
They seem awfully casual tourist like for such a close danger!
for video schrodingers dog

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well, I can't be the only one around who got the idea to monitor this eruption using GEE software, so we can see the seismic events in near real time. My curiosity was to observe harmonic tremors- and if there is one place you will see harmonic tremors- it's in an erupting volcano, or one that's about to erupt.

Unfortunately, no can do, so far that I can see.

Problem #1: The tiny island of Montserrat is so small, that it does not even exist in GEE! (That's the first time I've seen that happen).

Problem #2: We might be able to overcome problem #1, if we can find a seismic network with a station close enough to the volcano so we can pick up the signals.

I've tracked down the relevant links, and the network responsible for monitoring this is the TRN Network, run by the University of the West Indies:

www.uwiseismic.com...

But that network I cannot find at all in GEE. I have found some stations close to the island, and particularly, the station NEV, but no matter what channels I try in GEE, it will not come up.

And the one station listed on the island by the USGS here, MWI, is closed:

neic.usgs.gov...

So unless someone can come up with a station nearby that works in GEE, and find a suitable network, we're out of luck on this one for monitoring.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Chit...I have a dear friend who lives on Nevis,a short boat ride away.

Hoping like hell these beautiful places remain un-scathed by the workings of nature!

these islands are SO pristine and lovely!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I had known about consistent Lava Dome collapses last month on Montserrat, but a 9-mile high eruption column has literally come out of nowhere. The next worry I guess would be just how far the Pyroclastic Flows will spread outwards if the column collapses, which given the material ejected, is a likely probability.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! its always good to know whats going on in the world.

I was wondering though, with this explosion and all the CO2 being released into the air will it increase the dreaded "global warming?" will global warming strike "two days before the day after tomorrow"?!

new topics

top topics

join