It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 5.1 TAIWAN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Magnitude 5.1 TAIWAN

earthquake.usgs.gov

Magnitude 5.1
Date-Time

* Friday, February 12, 2010 at 02:42:38 UTC
* Friday, February 12, 2010 at 10:42:38 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 23.837°N, 121.193°E
Depth 21 km (13.0 miles)
Region TAIWAN
Distances 40 km (25 miles) WSW of Hua-lien, Taiwan
65 km (40 miles) ESE of T'ai-chung, Taiwan
80 km (50 miles) ENE of Chia-i, Taiwan
140 km (90 miles) SSW of T'AI-PEI, Taiwan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.2 km (3.9 miles); depth +/- 3.8 km (2.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 81, Nph= 81, Dmin=25 km, Rmss=1.01 sec, Gp= 40°,
M-type
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This happened about half an hour ago. BBC news reported it briefly but didn't have many details. They said coastal regions are affected but again, not much detail.

No news on a tsunami warning yet.

I hope this isn't too destructive. Earthquakes are not uncommon in the area so hopefully any emergency response will be well prepared.

earthquake.usgs.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
maps.google.com...(M5.1+-+TAIWAN+-+2010+February+12++02:42:38+UTC)&f=d&t=p&hl=e&ie=UTF8&ll=23.832775,121.198769&spn=4.5011 5,7.020264&z=7

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
5.1 hmmmm certainly not that very big but it could have caused some damage

Hopefully no tsunami develops

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

It looks like it was under the actual island so I assume a tsunami would not be generated.

No reports of damage or injuries as yet thankfully.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

The National Fire Agency said there were no immediate reports of damage from the quake, which was also felt in the capital Taipei.

Well, it's still early but it looks like this quake didn't cause much harm.

in.reuters.com...

[edit on 11-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
very strange.

Haiti, Chicago, Iran... now Taiwan

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lozenge
very strange.

Haiti, Chicago, Iran... now Taiwan

You know, those of you that sleep in the nude, may want to reconsider it for a little while...

I used to sleep nude - until the earthquake. Alyssa Milano

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Let's consider something... we have a solar maximum coming and we are supposedly moving into or through an area of space of increasing density, even if it is only a gradual increase of 5 fold the number of H2 molecules per cubic meter.

Now, the earth is a semi-flattened (equatorial bulging) sphere due to gravimetrics, centrifugal and tidal forces from primarily the Sun and Moon, and since the Earth is spinning, an increase in the pressure or density of local space would effect the curvature of the semi-flattened sphere. In effect, it would possibly cause a very minor depression on or near the leading edge of the planet moving through said higher density space.

If we are moving through an area that is pressure "different," I think it might be safe to presume that we would see an increase in earthquakes due to the tectonic deformation caused by the pressure and changes in weather caused by the additional friction. In fact, we should see heating starting to occur because a higher density space would not only increase transport friction transferred to a planet but would also facilitate energy transfer from the system's main source, the Sun.

I could be wrong, but I think we are in for a rough ride. An increase in local area pressure in space could with the help of a poorly directed M class flare, not only strip away our ozone, but our atmosphere as well.

A very simple test to determine changes in the space the Earth is traveling through I would think, would be to look for increases in H2 content in the atmosphere and a marked increase in the Sun's corona. If it's there, it's probably safe to assume we are in trouble and maybe this is the ELE that kills off almost entire civilizations.

More than likely the only reason we are so dysfunctional as a species after wards is because only a small number of the retarded elite business class survive to propagate producing increasing numbers of war and greed driven @ssholes (present company exempted of course, except for the trolls and dysinfo agents).

Just some thoughts....

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This should probably be posted in the "Quake Watch 2010" thread. If everyone posted a new topic about every 5.0-5.9, there would be tons of posts

IMO, anything over a 6, and if it's near land should have it's own topic...
Just to keep the forum clean...

(And we DO check the Quake Watch 2010
)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just my 2 coppers...

Anyone know if this was on the fault running underneath the Super-tall Tower Taipei 101?

[edit on 2/11/2010 by Pharyax]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
This should probably be posted in the "Quake Watch 2010" thread. If everyone posted a new topic about every 5.0-5.9, there would be tons of posts

)

Just my 2 coppers...

That's exactly what I was thinking.

5.1 really isn't much to worry about.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Yep, fair enough. Didn't see that thread. will take further discussion to the quake watch thread.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax

)

Just my 2 coppers...

I agree. A thread just for a 5.1 is a waste. I hope the mods move this into the 2010 quake thread and people stop posting minor earthquakes in their own threads.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Alright, calm down.

I didn't know that thread existed until someone pointed it out to me and If you'd bothered to read my post above yours then you would have seen that I agree and had taken my posts to that thread instead.

new topics

top topics

join