It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. DoD Confirms Mexico Meteorite was Russian Space Junk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

According to media sources in Mexico, a 30 meter wide crater was left after a meteorite impacted approximately 100 miles to the northwest of Mexico City in the municipality of Ahuazotepec, Puebla.

Eyewitnesses report seeing a light and then a "roar" as the alleged meteorite hit, swaying nearby buildings. According to one translated source, a bridge had been damaged by the impact that occurred at 6:30 pm local time on Wednesday evening. Windows were also shattered as a result of the blast.

Local authorities reported that emergency phone lines were jammed with scared people calling to find out what was happening.

The Mexican army arrived at the scene and cordoned off the area according to another news source. The possibility of a downed aircraft has been ruled out by the authorities.

However, new reports from the region suggest that the impactor wasn't a meteorite at all, but it did come from space.

José Jaime Herrera Cortes of the Mexican Space Agency has gone on record to say the object was a piece of space junk originating from a Russian satellite.

Cortes indicates that the U.S. Department of Defense has confirmed the object was a piece of the Cosmos 2421 satellite that was launched in 2006. As of 2008, 15 fragments of the spacecraft were being tracked.

The piece of space junk, cataloged with the ID number 33006 was expected to pass over Mexico at the approximate time of impact.

Personally, I find it strange how there are no photographs of the impact site and few details about the damage that has been done (although the impact site does appear to be in a sparsely populated region). Also, the reports are sketchy, so before we can start drawing any conclusions we'll have to wait for an official announcement.

SOURCE: news.discovery.com...

Well, it appears that there, in deed, was an impact, However, the "meteorite" was of Earthly origin. I guess this is the reason we haven't seen photographs as of yet...it's probably cordoned off.

So, I wonder, is Russia responsible for damages, environmental clean-up, etc?

[edit on 11-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I call BS, until they find the real evidence.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shrukin89

What do you think it was? A run of the mill meteorite? A alien spaceship? A missile? A bomb?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
\Well, it appears that there, in deed, was an impact, However, the "meteorite" was of Earthly origin. I guess this is the reason we haven't seen photographs as of yet...it's probably cordoned off.

They haven't found it yet. They haven't cordoned off anything either, local newspapers pointed out that local authorities are focusing the search in a 300km^2 area and will resume searching tomorrow by 8AM

www.eluniversal.com.mx...

My guess is they'll never find it unless someone stumbles upon it by accident.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by daniel_g

\Well, it appears that there, in deed, was an impact, However, the "meteorite" was of Earthly origin. I guess this is the reason we haven't seen photographs as of yet...it's probably cordoned off.

They haven't found it yet. They haven't cordoned off anything either, local newspapers pointed out that local authorities are focusing the search in a 300km^2 area and will resume searching tomorrow by 8AM

www.eluniversal.com.mx...

My guess is they'll never find it unless someone stumbles upon it by accident.

No confirmation of a crater? huh! Well, I wondered why there were no pics yet.

I didn't say that they had cordoned off the area...just implied that may be the reason for the lack of photographs of the crater in the media.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

What do you think it was? A run of the mill meteorite? A alien spaceship? A missile? A bomb?

Why should you trust any media news sources? they always tell us lies.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Why should you trust any media news sources? they always tell us lies.

So what do you suppose it was then? Why would they lie about this? What could it have been that is worth covering up this way?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well, it appears that there, in deed, was an impact, However, the "meteorite" was of Earthly origin. I guess this is the reason we haven't seen photographs as of yet...it's probably cordoned off.
I doubt it...I'm betting if this was merely some "Russian Space Junk" we would have some pictures by now...but we wouldn't really have much to look at because if this was a piece of a satellite it probably would have completely burnt up upon re-entry...do you understand how brittle/fragile satellites are...do you understand how much it costs to lift 1kg into space...they need to be as light as possible...I was watching a show on the discovery channel recently and they were talking about space warfare, and how easy it would be to destroy satellites...we wouldn't even need to use explosive rockets, just firing a small solid object at the satellite would tear it apart with ease...

But lets just assume for a second it's somehow possible that it stayed completely in tact upon re-entry into our atmosphere, even if it hit the ground at terminal velocity, I highly doubt it would weigh enough to leave a crater that big, especially since it isn't like solid rock/meteorite, and the weight distribution would have been significant, the area-to-mass ratio definitely needs to be considered...but I'm not an expert, and we would need to know the exact mass of the piece of satellite, before calculating how much kinetic energy it probably had on impact...then we can make some guesstimates as to how big the crater should have been...

Here I some quotes from the first page of the main thread concerning this impact:

Originally posted by Nventual
If real, could it be a UFO? I heard that 2010 would see a UFO crash into Earth with many witnesses and a fuzzy video to go with it. This person also reported that 2010 would be the year of the earthquakes with a major one near Brazil.

Originally posted by Nizax
reading more about it, the news paper says that the army hit that zone really quick to secure the zone between Ahuazotepec and Huachinango but no reports of what hit the earth.

Originally posted by Nizax
People says that they saw a bright light in the sky and the they heard an impact.

I don't know about you...but I find the lack of news coverage terribly suspicious...and it is weird for the army to rush in so quickly to secure the zone...it makes me think something is up...I'm not saying it is a UFO...but I certiantly wouldn't dismis the possibility...I'm just saying I really don't think it is what they are saying it is, and they are trying to cover something up...

[edit on 11/2/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
but I'm not an expert

Enough said.

I'll leave that to the experts...and DoD ranks fairly high up.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Enough said.

I'll leave that to the experts...and DoD ranks fairly high up.
What kind of argument is that...I may not be an expert, but I've studied physics for several years, and I certainly understand the physics involved...I also took engineering studies so I can say a little about the structure of the satellite...just because the "official statement" says it was "Russian Space Junk"...that doesn't mean crap...until they prove it was exactly what they say it was I wont take anything they say as fact...photos would be nice (which were taken not long after the initial impact, not several hours later, at which point they could have modified the impact scene)...even some scientific proof which shows such a thing is logical and possible...but they have nothing, but we just accept whatever they say because they are "experts"...ridiculous...experts provide evidence of their claims...

[edit on 11/2/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Why would they lie about something like this? What is your reason for assuming a lie?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Why do I assume it's a lie? Did you not read my posts? I simply don't think their story makes logical sense, and believe they are lying...and there are a few other little things which make it even more suspicious...

Why would they lie about it? Well, we'd need to know what actually hit the ground wouldn't we...

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Wow I guess this just goes to show how dangerous space junk really is.

This could have easily landed in a populated area.. Could have killed heaps of people!

I think humans need to re-organize their management of space debris

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I didn't want to think it about it too much, of what it is, hurts my head. I just stick with my first answer which was just some space rock. I hear now that a U.S and Russian satellite collided. But making a crater that big from space junk had to have been really big. That and a ton of people would have saw it as the space junk evaporates in the atmosphere.

Heck might even be a UFO, being covered up as being just labeled as space junk. Who knows. :p

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Here's the orbiting path of Cosmos 2421

www.magicpopufos.blogspot.com...

[edit on 12-2-2010 by chetinglendalevillage]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Of course, it couldn't be that the initial report which said there was a 30 meter crater created by the impact is was in error.

News outlets always get it right, don't they?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
What object that we could fire up into orbit and then have it re-enter could leave this kind of damage? I am now expert but something seems strange could phage or another expert break down what could do this other than something not from this world.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

News outlets always get it right, don't they?
I guess you're right...but what happens when they change the story but are unable to provide any evidence such as photos that "prove" it wasn't actually 30m wide...unless they can do this, I'll conclude that all they did was change the story to fit their statement...

[edit on 12/2/10 by CHA0S]

new topics

top topics

join