It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers create drug to keep tumor growth switched off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

A novel -- and rapid -- anti-cancer drug development strategy has resulted in a new drug that stops kidney and pancreatic tumors from growing in mice. Researchers at the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego, have found a drug that binds to a molecular "switch" found in cancer cells
and cancer-associated blood vessels to keep it in the "off" position..

We locked the kinase switch in the off position in cancer and in tumor-associated blood vessels," which differs from the way current inhibitors attempt to block active kinases, said David Cheresh, PhD, professor and vice chair of pathology at the UCSD School of Medicine and the Moores UCSD Cancer Center, who led the work.

The new approach employs scaffold-based chemistry combined with supercomputer technology, allowing for rapid screening and development of drugs that are more selective for the tumor. The development and screening processes were used to identify potential drug candidates able to halt a growth signaling enzyme, or kinase, which can foster tumor blood vessel and tumor growth. According to the researchers, the novel approach may become a useful strategy in cancer drug development. The study appears online the week of February 8, 2010, in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

This is a great breakthrough in cancer treatment. I've always believed that supercomputing would solve the cancer crisis and it seems to be on its way. Hopefully this sees the light of day and isn't stifled.

The article goes on to say :

The drug screen system has several advantages, Cheresh explained. Most standard screens test 400,000 candidates in test tubes to identify a single drug candidate. His group's screening method requires fewer than 100 compounds to be screened because they are rationally designed, look for specific types of targets, and use a zebrafish model, testing molecules in cells, tissues and organs for "physiological relevance." The zebrafish is a popular drug research model because it is transparent and the effects of drugs are easily monitored.

www.physorg.com...

The efficiency of such drug development has been one of the largest obstacles to cancer treatment. Hopefully this approach will allow for faster breakthroughs and case specific treatments.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You're treading awfully dangerous waters, constantwonder. Don't you know that most people on this board don't accept anything as a treatment for cancer that wasn't grown in some sort of free-range, all-natural, green-powered community garden?

In all seriousness, this is a wonderful breakthrough, and one I had been hearing rubmlings about for the past 6 months or so. Good to see the work has finally come to fruition, and hopefully I'll be able to start giving patients this treatment in the next fifteen years or so

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

G'day constantwonder

Thanks for posting that interesting article.

From being "in the business", I know how much passion & time & money & work goes into developing any oncology oriented technology.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
and hopefully I'll be able to start giving patients this treatment in the next fifteen years or so

I guess you imagine how many patients already diagnosed will die before 15 years elapses?

Why can't patients sign a liability waiver to try any legally "restricted/barred" treatment?

Many desperates would love to try any new drug possible.

Many flooded the telephone lines of hospitals, clinics and news agencies looking for ways of getting DCA in 2007.

Despite this, only one Canadian clinic offers DCA "under-the-table", after 3 painful years of pressure.

This repeats every new promising report.

For example the "mantra" statements some "professional-spokesperson" for the medical establishment, say to deter anyone from trying new promising drugs reported on the news.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

G'day jjjttir

I know how difficult it can get with a "breakthrough" oncology technology that people are desperate to be treated with.

Unsuitable patholology.....

Difficult ethics committees.....

Very high costs associated with the technology.....

The lack of clinical protocols.....

Selecting a very small number of patients from hundreds of desperate requests.....

Drs that are not skilled enough to use the technology properly.....

It's just not that simple......in fact .....it can get quite ugly

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

When the drug enters phase 2 clinical trials, patients who are in the population that would potentially benefit from the drug are able to join study groups at whichever hospitals are participating in the trial.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'll be very interested in the later stages of the clinical trials. Knowing whether or not the benefit outweighs the risk is quite important. In other words....what are the side-effects?

-Dev

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

At this point, Pancreatic cancers are horrible. I doubt many patients are concerned with the side effects, considering what they go through on a daily basis? Have you been with someone as they suffered through pancreatic cancer? It's horrible. My mother survived for 14 months after diagnosis, but finally succumbed but not without a fight.

I'm sure if this was available as a clinical trial at the time, she would have been right there in line with her oxygen tank by her side.

A_L

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by another_lurker

Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is one of the biggies when it comes to metastasis, mostly because of the immense amount of vascular tissue surrounding the organ. That's why cancers of the pancreas have such bad prognoses. Anti-growth treatments (namely, localized radiation) usually don't help with this sort of tumor because the problem isn't localized to a small enough area, unless you catch it early.

I know how hard it is to lose a loved one and then doubt yourself or the treatment plan in retrospect. I truly hope your mother passed in as much of a respectful and loving environment/situation as possible.

top topics

join