It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Iran Just Test a Nuke?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
So today Iran Announced they are now a nuclear nation, congratulations.
about an hour or two ago there was a 4.6 Quake in Iran. at a depth of 10KM or 6.2 Miles very shallow, could it possibly be a Nuke test? maybe, about two years ago North Korea tested a Nuke, and the result showed up as a 4.7 Quake on the Richter scale with a depth of 10km as well, is this all just a coincidence or was there really a Nuke test?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

link to info on Koreas Nuke test

North Korea Nuke Test

Also here is a link showing other quakes the past week or so, around the same magnitude and the same depth

www.iris.edu...

[edit on 2/11/2010 by l neXus l]

Edit to Include a link to an update on this story.

Iran May Be Working on Nuclear Warhead (Breaking News)

[edit on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:36:21 -0600 by MemoryShock]

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Wow. Forgive my ignorance, would that mean they tested the nuke underground and it caused the earthquake?

Maybe it really was just a coincidence.

Or maybe the government used its secret earthquake machines, made an earthquake in Iran with the intention that it makes people think they're testing nukes and so now our government has to go clear out their WMDs....

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
not necessarily because earthquake depths are not entirely accurate.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This isn't the first time speculation such as this has occurred.

Still, the quake is timely. I guess we'll see if they make an official statement claiming it.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You get a flag from me.

I'll be watching this thread in case the world just got nutty-er while I was sleeping.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

That's a darn intriquing question and one I hope gets answered.

If they DID test a nuke, that is going to ratchet up the tension a hundredfold.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Wow. Forgive my ignorance, would that mean they tested the nuke underground and it caused the earthquake?

Maybe it really was just a coincidence.

Or maybe the government used its secret earthquake machines, made an earthquake in Iran with the intention that it makes people think they're testing nukes and so now our government has to go clear out their WMDs....

I just reread my own post and realized how awful that sounded. So let me apologize to everyone.

My question about testing it underground, that was a real question. However, the rest of the post was sarcasm and pretty poor at that.

Anyway, forgive the terrible sarcasm. I think I'm going to go take a nap.

+24 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
CONGRATZ Iran, and i really mean it

I'm not a supporter of weapons of mass destruction in general, but..
if there is a country in the world right now, that has a need to become a new nuclear power, than it's Iran!

Ko3

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Here are some images of the region, courtesy of Hellmutt via mutter.
The star denotes the earthquake epicenter.

This area is known as "Iranian Kurdistan":

Iranian Kurdistan (Kurdish: کوردستانی ئێران Kurdistanî Iran)[1] or Kurdistana Rojhilat (Eastern Kurdistan) [2] or Rojhilatê Kurdistan (East of Kurdistan) [3], formerly: Persian Kurdistan) is an unofficial name for the parts of Iran inhabited by Kurds and has borders with Iraq and Turkey. It includes the greater parts of West Azerbaijan province, Kurdistan Province, Kermanshah Province and Ilam Province . Kurds form the majority of the population of this region [4] with an estimated population of 4 million.[5] The region is the eastern part of the greater cultural-geographical area called Kurdistan and is referred to as Eastern Kurdistan by some.

It is noteworthy, that from the estimated 4 million Iranian Kurds, who are mainly Sunnis, 1,555,000 of them are Shia Kermanshahi Kurds.

Iranian or Eastern Kurdistan is not to be confused with the Kordestan province in Iran which only encompasses one-eighth of the Kurdish inhabited areas of Iran or Iranian Kurdistan.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by Someone336]

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Iran does not have nukes ... yet.

Why does everyone refuse to think earthquakes cannot be caused by Earth's plates moving against each other ?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
... And Flags to ATS Members!

Timing is everything, and alarming... And this came up just while ago in Reuters: ( My heart just made extra pumps... )

Iran atom bomb seen attainable despite snags-study

Iran is on course to produce enough highly enriched uranium to make nuclear weapons despite technical problems, a new study says.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

Are you out of your mind about Iran having nukes?I don't believe
for a minute that any nuke technology they have would be for energy
use only.They will build bombs and either bomb the U.S. or Israel.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Because that would be science, and we can't have that on ATS. I mean really, the very thought!

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Homomorphic analysis of the signal will answer that question in short order. Somebody somewhere in an office is probably running down tests on the seismographs. Unfortunately I don't have the data, nor the software to do so myself.

Basically, a nuke will be a clean impulse whee the ringing resonances on the graph are entirely modal resonances of the medium between the site of the explosion and the sensor sites.

For earthquakes, the signal is more complex. I am sure a quick and dirty way to tell is to speed up the waveforms and play them back as audio. The nuclear explosion will have a cleaner tone, as if somebody struck a tuning fork with a tiny hammer instead of scrubbed it. with a rock.

Any takers?

-rrr

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
You do realize how deep down 10kms is, right?

h.i.g.h.l.y..d.o.u.b.t.f.u.l

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It took the soviets 40 years to drill 15KM

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

The North Korean 2nd nuke test was reported as a mag 4.7 at 10 km

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Iran is on course to produce enough highly enriched uranium to make nuclear weapons despite technical problems, a new study says.

There is no bomb yet

I would think there is no way a certain country would let this get to far before "pull" the plug on this very fast.

HINT:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d08fe05e802.jpg[/atsimg]

Do you really think Iran is testing nukes without anyone noticing?
You do realize the invasion of Iran would have already started if your silly idea was true ?

[edit on 11-2-2010 by nophun]

[edit on 11-2-2010 by nophun]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

Are you out of your mind about Iran having nukes?I don't believe
for a minute that any nuke technology they have would be for energy
use only.They will build bombs and either bomb the U.S. or Israel.

Iran wont attack Israel unless Israel attacks Iran 1st and the Iranians definately dont have the capaciity to attack the US with nuclear weapons.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think this sounds entirely likely, but will they admit it? I'm anxious to see how the rest of the world will react if this was indeed a Nuclear test.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join