It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds push for tracking cell phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Feds push for tracking cell phones

news.cnet.com...

Even though police are tapping into the locations of mobile phones thousands of times a year, the legal ground rules remain unclear, and federal privacy laws written a generation ago are ambiguous at best. On Friday, the first federal appeals court to consider the topic will hear oral arguments (PDF) in a case that could establish new standards for locating wireless devices.

In that case, the Obama administration has argued that warrantless tracking is permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts. U.S. Department of Justice lawyers say that "a customer's Fourth Amendment rights are not violated when the phone company reveals to the government its own records" that show where a mobile device placed and received calls.

Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts.

Really, Why not?

Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Throw Away Cell Phones for criminal/covert activity.

Invest in jamming software?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yet another reason I would love nothing more than to move to some remote location and go completely off the grid.

It's not that I have anything to hide or am going anywhere/doing anything I am not supposed to. It's just that I don't like the idea of anyone, especially Big Brother, being able to track my movements 24/7.

I think that as private citizens we DO have a reasonable expectation of privacy . Be it with out cell phones, our cars or our homes. As long as I am not doing anything to infringe on anyone else's rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; then Big Brother has no right to infringe upon mine.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sonick621

Yet another reason I would love nothing more than to move to some remote location and go completely off the grid.

Yes, me too friend, but we do have to fight.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Invest in jamming software?

I see, whats that?

Actually they would hear some very boring conversation on my cell.

Edited to say isn't this what is happening in Iran?

[edit on 112828p://bThursday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If the internet is still up, setup an email account. Give the people you want to communicate with access.

You write up an email but do not send it. The other accesses the account and can then delete it. It does not get sent so NO one can access it or even know who's it is.

Got that from a spy novel. Pretty neat.

You can use other storage devices also.

OP, the whole things with the Cell Phone creation instead of sticking with the early satellite phones was because of this very thing. Cell phones use radio wave not hardlines. So these are handled by the FCC regs. One of the reasons this is able to happen.

Do they even sell the encrypted phone capability anymore?

Of course we all know now that the hardlines are no longer secure either.

Just one more right we are NOT ALLOWED to have in the new USSA.

Terrorism HAD NOTHING to do with all these new transgressions.

It was all about stopping us from stopping them.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe that Obama would support something like this. After all, he's such a staunch supporter of privacy rights. Maybe if we put copies of our birth certificates on our cell phones we'll be guaranteed the same privacy rights he advocates.

At least it's good to know I can call up my cell phone company and request the locations of any federal agents in my area. Assuming I can get a live human being to answer the customer service line. Apparently, most of them are too busy tapping calls and locating cell phones.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I was hoping some one more tech saavy than I could tell us how to 'shield' our cell signals.

Love the email idea.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

That leaves me out,

I don't think they should have this right to invade our privacy, but they can have my number, lol

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

The best thing to do if TSHTF, throw your cell phone, or at the very least buy the limited use ones. Where you do not have to give a name or anything. Use it for a week or two and then destroy it.

I should quit giving advice, communicating will be outlawed any minute.

I am still wondering if they have the encrypted phones available for private use? And I wonder if they have back doors installed?

edit to add-if you do use a cell phone, you can stop the tracking by removing the battery. Even if you shut it off or turn off the transmission, some phones provide that, the best way to shield a cell phone is to pull the battery. If you were able to shield it, it would not be able to link to a tower so.

[edit on 2/11/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Throw Away Cell Phones for criminal/covert activity.

That right there is the biggest problem with this whole "to fight crime" stupidity.

Any criminal knows to go with those anonymous pre-paid and toss-out phones so in the end the only people being harassed and tracked is me and you.

Not unlike stupid gun control laws. No criminal is going to be getting one "on the radar" anyway so the only people affected are me and you.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Yes, me too friend, but we do have to fight.

I know. It just gets so discouraging at times. I've got kids at home, and I look around at the world I'm leaving to them and it scares the crap out of me. Since I can't unsee the world for what it really is, sometimes I think it would be best to just shelter my family from it all. I know that is the cowards way out though. Something has to be done, something has to change. I don't advocate a violent overthrow of the government, I still love what this country used to stand for. I just want the people to stand up and take responsibility. Stop letting the talking heads tell you what to do. They are supposed to represent us! WE are supposed to tell THEM what to do, not they other way around.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sonick621

They are supposed to represent us! WE are supposed to tell THEM what to do, not they other way around.

They seem to have forgotten,

But a recent poll said 70% of the population disagree with the direction our government has take.

We can still vote.

For now.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Great find!

Anything that EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) does should be supported and applauded. These folks have been around for decades? and have done more for our collective privacy and online rights than most people will EVER know or imagine.

They are true HEROES! Probably all pencil neck geeks but hey! Here's a huge kiss and hug for EFF for all they do... They are the REAL soldiers in the online battlefield.

[color=#00BFFF]EFF Net

Bump&Star&Flag

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

There is no commercially available encrypted cell phone. There is a firm with a working protype of one that may be available at some point, but this firm is having some difficulties getting US government's approval for the ability to sell the device.

It is one key pad encryption and totally unbreakable. I've seen the prototype and it is pretty slick. The UI sucks and they are working on it now. You have a button to press and you can place an encrypted call. The phone can be purchased (or you will be able to) outside of the US so there will be no way to trace you to a call of tie you to a number. Pretty slick technology. It will be expensive though, if the government lets them sell it. They are talking to all of the major phone manufacturers to get them to include it on mass produced devices.

In the mean-time a disposable phone is the only way to go

join