It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter weather in Louisiana and the south

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hello ATS, I hope I'm posting in the correct forum, if not Mods please move. This winter has been a rough one for most of the country. My husband is addicted to the Weather Channel so I've been bombarded with coverage of the winter storms throughout a lot of the country this season, but what is shocking me is that for the second time this winter season Southeastern Louisiana is expecting snow. Now weather or not this will happen is yet to be seen and by no means am I saying that we will have a blizzard or even heavy accumulation of snow, but for us ANY snow is an event! Here's a link to the weather channel

www.weather.com...

Also to add, where I live (about 45 miles north of New Orleans) we have seen snow in 2004, 2008, a very small amount this December, and now possibly today and into tonight. I'm 30 years old and grew up in the burbs of New Orleans and I can only remember 2 times before 2004 us getting snow down here....so much for global Warming.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I hear you. I ve been in New Orleans for 30years and snow happens about as often as temps dipping into the 80's in August. It snowed alot in December 2008. Twice in one year is amazing.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here are some pictures I took this morning in North Dallas.

We are suppose to get as much as 6 more inches too!

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wondering302

There is a whole other world out there. Austrailia is having a record heat wave. What is happening in your neck of the woods doesn't negate the rest of the planet.

That being said. I heard how far south Louisiana got sleet. That is a big storm down there.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I never said that what happens in my neck of the woods negates what goes on elsewhere. I'm very much aware of what goes on in other parts of the world. However, this post is about the winter weather we're getting down here at the moment.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Wow! That's a lot of snow for Dallas, y'all be safe up there.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

And your final statement is so much for global warming. Which is a global problem not a Louisiana one. Can't have it both ways.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yeah the weather is doing very funny things. I live in a northern state and it has been a very mild winter, compared to what we got just last year.

I guess the pulse of creation is changing.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

And your final statement is so much for global warming. Which is a global problem not a Louisiana one. Can't have it both ways.

May be that was a little sarcasm, but who am I to say. When its cold its cold .
News is talking about our 2nd snow here in Ga so much for "globule" warming

sorry couldn't help my self

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

There is a whole other world out there. Austrailia is having a record heat wave. What is happening in your neck of the woods doesn't negate the rest of the planet.

That being said. I heard how far south Louisiana got sleet. That is a big storm down there.

Ummm, SOME parts of Australia are having a heatwave, here on the west coast we are having below average temps, and humidity, this area has always been know for very hot and dry febs.
So yeah, very weird weather.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Updated pics I took this morning. I tried to get as close to the same as the pics from yesterday for comparison.

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport had recorded 12.5 inches by Friday morning. It was the greatest 24-hour total in the Dallas/Fort Worth area since 12.1 inches fell January 15, 1964, the National Weather Service said.

www.cnn.com...

I live north of Dallas. I believe we got around 14-15 inches here. I'm looking for confirmation on that. Either way, this is the biggest single day total for snowfall in recorded history for DFW.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Porto Alegre, despite being in the extreme south of Brazil, is being the 2nd hottest state capital of Brazil during this summer, loosing only to Rio de janeiro, where max temperatures have been above 100ºF for more than 15 consecutive days. Even the capitals from states in the amazoniam region (near the equator) are not as hot as porto Alegre.
I just lost track of how many tornados we had in southern region only this summer (normally there is one every 2 years).
The weather is behaving in a completelly insane way here in Brazil recently.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by nanbei]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Where does National Weather Service or CNN get there information lol..... are the lines crossed or what?

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport had recorded 12.5 inches by Friday morning. It was the greatest 24-hour total in the Dallas/Fort Worth area since 12.1 inches fell January 15, 1964, the National Weather Service said.

The Dallas Morning News says 7.8 inches set in 1917 and matched in 1964 for one calendar day?
www.dallasnews.com...

11.2 inches of snow had fallen at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, smashing the area’s previous record for one calendar day of 7.8 inches, set in 1917 and matched in 1964

And

There never was a Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in 1917... I think someone is over exaggerating the weather, sure there is plenty of snow coverage but not record breaking depth. The Dallas Morning News, CNN is full of it and so is whoever else telling the same story, or which ever story that is lol.. This all depends where you measure the snow, a few feet away it may only be a few inches or more... Snow like this happens every so many years and is usually disproportionately overstated in the news.

Just my 2 cents lol..... a foot of snow in North Central Texas is a foot of BS from the weatherman.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by imitator]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

From your source:

By midnight, a record 11.2 inches of snow had fallen at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, smashing the area’s previous record for one calendar day of 7.8 inches, set in 1917 and matched in 1964.

That was the total at midnight. the total over 24-hour period of time was 12.5 inches...1.3 additional inches falling after the midnight hour.

... Greatest all-time calendar day snow on record set at Dallas Fort
Worth...

... Record daily maximum snowfall for February 11th set at Dallas
Fort Worth...

... Greatest all-time 24-hour snowfall total set at Dallas Fort
Worth...

... Record 24-hour snow for February set at Dallas Fort Worth...

Dallas Fort Worth Airport recorded 11.2 inches of snow for February
11... 2010. This breaks the greatest calendar day snow on record.
The old record was 7.8 inches set on January 15... 1964 and January
14... 1917.

Obviously... .this shatters the record daily maximum snowfall for
February 11th... of 1.4 inches which was previously set in 1988.

The greatest all-time 24 hour snowfall record was also broken from 4
am Thursday to 4 am Friday. The new record is 12.5 inches. The old
record was 12.1 inches set January 15 through January 16... 1964.

This also breaks the record 24-hour snowfall for February which was
7.5 inches... set on February 17... 1978 and February 25... 1924

Source: weather.wfaa.com...

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yeah I know what the total is, but still one calendar day is 24 hours.

4am Thursday to 4 am Friday
The last 24hrs of snow covers about 2 calendar days + .4 inches of more snow is not the greatest 24 hour all-time record if it's not measured in the same spot by the same person. And it can't be the area record neither, because someone probably measured more snow in the same area but never reported lol.... That being said, weather reports are never accurate...

Again it's a matter of where they took the measurement and who took the measurement, and I would bet the neighbors could measure more or less down the road lol.... this whole total snow fall thing is not accurate at all.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by imitator]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Here are the snowfall totals from NOAA:

www.srh.noaa.gov...

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Dallas is looking like how us here in Southern Ontario should look right about now...
But we don't, and we haven't all winter, except one time a few days ago.
We didn't get a real snow fall until after Christmas time.
It's very eerie but everyone just can't stop exclaiming about this is their 'favourite winter ever!'. It's a little unnerving but I suppose if no one else cares...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MetalCoffeeL

obviously everything is just being pushed to the south this year. All the Canadians are commenting on the lack of snow.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
...thx for the pics, aggie man... they'll be refreshing to look at when the hell season comes around again in april...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I live in Mississippi, and it was great to wake up to the yard covered in snow.

Well, regardless of isolated weather events, average global temperature has been on the uprise, about 0.28C over the last thirty years. From the charts I've read, it appears that the more north you get, the more the warming.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join