Report: Hundreds Forced Into Labor, Sex in Ohio

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Report: Hundreds Forced Into Labor, Sex in Ohio

www.nytimes.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- About 1,000 American-born children are forced into the sex trade in Ohio every year and about 800 immigrants are sexually exploited and pushed into sweatshop-type jobs, a new report on human trafficking in the state said Wednesday.

Ohio's weak laws on human trafficking, its growing demand for cheap labor and its proximity to the Canadian border are key contributors to the illegal activity

Ohio is quick to label child prostitutes as delinquents and to incarcerate them
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Ohio is quick to label child prostitutes as delinquents and to incarcerate them, rarely looking further at the adults involved

Now how stupid is the above?
How bloody stupid is that?

How many thought that this type of reality existed in first world countries? I bet majority of people thought this was only in 3rd worlds.

Why aren't there tougher laws over there?
If reports on how heavy trafficking was came out in 2001 how come now in 2010 little has changed?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It makes me sick to hear too.

I recall when I lived in southern indiana, one of the headline in my tiny town's paper was about Human Trafficking, right in my county!!

I felt sick knowing it goes on in the US, and in my own hometown too. I know my town had a Tyson's, so I just assumed it meant the illegals. Now I realize it may have been deeper than cheap labor.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Unbelievable! This just makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm shocked to see that it even takes place here in Ohio.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
"I'm shocked, shocked, that such conduct goes on in this establishment."

More NYT propaganda. Exploitation of the weak is as old as man.

Most states consider children involved in criminal conduct to be "Child in Need of Supervision" (CHINS) cases. In Ohio, they are called "unruly children."

Their conduct is handled in a system separate from and under different rules than that of adults.

Every state, including Ohio, has taken steps to prosecute adult exploitation.

The OP and the NYT have chosen to ignore this to gain readership.

The facts are readily available to anyone willing and able to delve deeper than ATS for their "news."

Deny ignorance!
[edit to throw in gratuitous Casablanca paraphrase]
jw

[edit on 11-2-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
More NYT propaganda. Exploitation of the weak is as old as man.

The OP and the NYT have chosen to ignore this to gain readership.

The facts are readily available to anyone willing and able to delve deeper than ATS for their "news."

Ummmm..... ok!

Sex traffickers ensnared more than 1,000 youths in Ohio last year

More than 1,000 youngsters under the age of 18 were sex-trafficking victims in Ohio during the past year, according to the first-ever statewide report on the subject by the Ohio Trafficking in Persons Study Commission.

A preliminary report released this afternoon by Attorney General Richard Cordray concluded that another 2,879 youth were at risk of being trafficked.

An additional 783 foreign-born persons were trafficked for sex or forced labor in Ohio in the past year, with another 3,437 at risk, the report said.

Human trafficking, now the second-largest crime in the world behind illegal drug sales, affects at least 18,000 women and girls in U.S. each year, according to national studies. Another 300,000, many of them girls as young as 11, are considered vulnerable.
www.dispatch.com...

Ohio report cites human trafficking

Nearly 1,100 American-born youths in Ohio, or about one in every three runaways who have been gone for more than two weeks
Contributing factors include untrained first responders, the lack of a stand-alone law addressing trafficking and the state’s high numbers of vulnerable youth, the study said.
www.daytondailynews.com...

Well you were right when you said if you dig deeper the truth is out there.
Perhaps next time you should supply the info rather than the one you are criticizing.

Anyhow was far as you saying the OP(me) just wants to increase readership... well it's BAN rules that thread title must match article headline.

thx

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Now, are the authorities considering a teen runaway who sells her body for money, human trafficking? Or do they mean people who organize the runaways and turn them out on the Ohio streets? I thought those were pimps. Human Trafficker sounds a lot more horrible than Pimp. I mean they sell toddler pimp and ho Halloween costumes.

Regardless, an awful story to hear. I was a teenage runaway, I am really lucky to be sitting here typing.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I have seen and read a lot about human trafficking and the illegal sex trade surrounding it. Most would be surprised to learn many prostitutes not only the young are forced into it. You try and explain this to people and they ignore the facts and point out that prostitutes want to do the work they do for the money involved.

It was sad to see so much support for the trade knowing a great deal of them are forced into it. I found that support for it here on ATS.

It is sickening that the U.S. is no different from any other country when it comes to human trafficking. Most people do not even realize it is happening. Last I heard I believe Nevada or Arizona was the state that had the highest rate of known human trafficking.

I find it disturbing that people will force children to have sex and even more disturbing that people will sell children, including their own, so that others can have sex with them. It is hard to contain the emotion of rage, and sorrow that builds up every time I hear of stories like this. Humanity has is losing every last bit of its morals.

Raist

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Unfortunately I don't think humanities moral gauge has moved much at all since the beginning of times. What makes these stories morally worse than human atrocities committed from the dawn of our time?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

So we have proof that since the dawn of man people were sold for sex? Or do we have an assumption that from the dawn of time people were sold for sex?

I understand that the practice has taken place over time but looking back I don’t think you had a large amount of child prostitutes. It is likely there were child sex slaves, just as there were slaves of many types throughout differing ages of time.

Now though not only do we have people selling children for sex we have the clothes makers literally dressing our kids like prostitutes. I assume you have seen the clothes racks at stores lately? They are sexualizing children and putting the idea that it is okay to do this into the minds of people because they will follow any trend that gives them “bling” at the time.

Raist

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I couldn't agree with you more, they are sexualizing our children and when people bring it up they stare at you like "big deal".

Majority of people do not care anymore. My wife wants us to have kids like real soon but my problem is that I look too far ahead and I don't like what I see. I'm not sure if I want my kids to grow up in this world.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I have a son (3 ½) and always wanted kids (I know sounds weird for a guy lol). My wife and I have talked about more kids and I find myself more and more not wanting anymore.

I actually feel bad that I am forcing another human to have to deal with the things that are going on when I see my son. I love him more than I can explain and I understand I cannot protect him from everything out there but I am still reminded daily it seems that I have only hurt him by placing him in the middle of this mess we have allowed to grow around us.

You and I have agreed before how it starts slow and it comes in little amounts so that the populace allows their morals to fail. The way kids are dressing now is only one more sign that more of this will happen.

Raist

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I hear you all, this is a travesty, and being as myself live in Ohio, and my doctor is in Columbus, this is in my back yard. I am aware of human trafficking, and believe it happens all over the world. Having frequented houses of ill repute in my travels and younger days, I have seen my share of children selling their bodies for money. In some Asian countries one can actually "buy" a child, to do with as they please, even kill, who would know?

The only way to stop this is to stop those who wish to have sex with children. How could this be done? It would take a direct DNA change at the genetic level to affect this in human beings. Then again, most real pedophiles are usually rich. Poor men cannot afford the travel expenses, and a virgin child does not sell for a few hundred, more like a few thousand.

I advocate a place for sex offenders, a safe place where they would be hunted and killed, like a lot of Fathers and Mothers would do if it were legal. A island will do. Air drops takes care of food, no weapons allowed, and we send them all there. One conviction makes you an offender. I live in a very small town, and in my town are 22 known, registered sex offenders of all kinds, from rapists to boy lovers. One lives within 100 feet of the bus stop where my boys board their school bus. I am sure you all will have a few cents worth, and folks, it's time we talked about this issue in all sincerity. And time we let our Congress and our Senate what we want done about it.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Some of what you say sounds like the Movie “Surviving the Game” with Ice T. Accept it was about people hunting homeless people. It was a pretty good movie with some decent meaning to it.

I am all for putting child sex offenders and rapists on an island together. I am not sure how I feel about hunting them at this point but I am sure some would be for it.
As for registered sex offenders we have our share here and the guy who lives across the street from me is one of them. Though looking at what I can of his case I am not sure if he was fully guilty of something nefarious or if he was not the victim of a scandalous ex-wife. Either way I do not trust him because I do not know him. The label society has placed on him is no help in my trust for him wither though. Put it this way I would not have him watch my kids especially a daughter if I had one.

Went you start talking about messing with their DNA you open up another can of worms as well though; one that could be touched on in another thread but is also highly relevant. That can of worms is saying they are born this way and it is a defect. I am sure without even mentioning it you can guess where that could be taken. I have read studies that suggest they are born this way, which is another discussion in itself.

Good post though with some interesting thoughts.

Raist

top topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum