It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has it gotten you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Has spending all of these hours and all of that brain power researching prophecies, aliens, and conspiracies ever resulted in anything positive that is not rooted in progress? Think of all of the out of the box thinking that occurs on this website but at the end of the day when we power down our computers, does anything really change?

If we were to communicate our findings to any non-family members would our accounts and information seem off the wall? It surely would based upon the very reasoning for this website and websites like this to exist. However, how can anyone truly spread the word or gain momentum when searching for progress when nothing is ever gained or proven? Sure, we may sit here for a course of a few weeks until a hoaxer is proven a hoax or a real happening is proven real but it changes nothing. Don't you think that you are wasting an enormous amount of brain power and time? Time...that you can never get back?

I used to immerse myself into other worldly things and now have learned that it does not lead to fruition. Nothing is ever gained. Nothing is ever disclosed on a mass scale. I was here for Dark Kn1ght's, and others like him, prophecies and all I seem to see happening here is just the same old rhetoric that has been bantered around in lounges for hundreds of years but never amounts to anything.

What we have to ask ourselves is, what is the real reason we spend so much time looking for things in places that the vast majority do not look? Does it have to do with a reality in that the bulk of us choose not to be like the majority of others so our actions here are just one way in which that theatre is played out?

How many more so called predictions, prophecies, alien disclosures, and government conspiracies are you prepared to go through before you change your course of action? Is this just a hobby for you? Do you read these threads just to kill time? Is there something that is worth more to you than simply wasting time away on the internet reading and watching things that 99% of the world is convinced doesn't exist and/or doesn't matter?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
So are you convincing others that their time here is not worth what ever it is they get from it, or yourself? Based on your OP, and without looking at your TIS (time in service) on ATS, as it is. It would appear to the casual observer that you're the one asking this to yourself. I think everyone here has their own reasons for being here, and the constant deluge of hoaxes, predictions, prophecies, etc. will always have an audience. I am fairly new to this forum, but not new to forums. I have lost interest in plenty of forums due to many of the reasons that you mention above among others. As far as being a waste of time ehhh to each their own. Either way...I hope you get an answer that suits your initial inquiry.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
So are you convincing others that their time here is not worth what ever it is they get from it, or yourself? Based on your OP, and without looking at your TIS (time in service) on ATS, as it is. It would appear to the casual observer that you're the one asking this to yourself. I think everyone here has their own reasons for being here, and the constant deluge of hoaxes, predictions, prophecies, etc. will always have an audience. I am fairly new to this forum, but not new to forums. I have lost interest in plenty of forums due to many of the reasons that you mention above among others. As far as being a waste of time ehhh to each their own. Either way...I hope you get an answer that suits your initial inquiry.

I'm way passed asking it to myself. I've been here for...years. Recently, in the past 3 years or so I think some old time posters realized a new influx of posters that lowered the quality of the board and even led to some flat out accusations of government agents getting paid to post on ATS and pretty much annoy people on the right track. It's just that I wonder what will anyone ever truly get out of all of this conspiracy talk? Are they going to change the world? No. Will they truly convince tons of people that what is actually real is what most of the world doesn't see? No. It just seems like messing with aliens, prophecies, and conspiracies is a waste of time with no progress to ever be found.

It makes sense for a person who is newly found to this arena of thought but I truly wonder how many of you have been researching this stuff for a decade or longer. Don't you think that that time could have been better spent? What will anyone get out of this stuff except for a massive case of paranoia?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Coming to this website means I'm bored at night and searching for a interesting read. Learning about conspiracies greatly benefited me, I'm no longer a society conformist and no longer subjected to the government corrupt methods, which is a gift in of itself.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yeah ive just realised this over the last few days! I spend my days reseaching online and have for afew years now. It now seems like i am wasting alot of time (probably half the day everyday). Sure I am nice and educated as to what is supposedly really happening in the world, but you have a point, what am i actually getting out of it from coutinually researching... I guess im just waiting and looking for signs of change. Something has got to happen, we can't keep going on like this!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
In just the short time I've been here, IMO a great deal of what is posted and replied to is based solely on paranoia, mixed with an array of other psychological disorders. More over, define "Normal". I feel that is based on an individuals cognitive ability in any case. People naturally want to belong, it's human nature. This is just another means for them to do so.

On a lighter more "Skunky" note, this forum and it's content just needs better marketing to attract a bigger audience thus allowing for a wider user base. They (the Mods) should start a collection campaign from ATS members and purchase ad space during next years Super Bowl. A certain Domain Registration service has the right idea. Throw a couple hot chicks up saying that "Free Masons Rule the World" whilst removing their top "wanna see more? Go to abovetopsecret.com" and perhaps that would increase the awareness to the worldly and unworldly subjects that ATS has to offer. As it is, Conspiracy, Prophecy, Paranormal, and Extra-Terrestrials just aren't sexy, they're topics that attract a less MSM type of crowd. Sex always has, and always will attract the masses.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Funny topic, in a sad sort of way, I guess.
I, personally, spend the majority of my time in the survival, new world order, and global meltdown forums, so in that regard, I have gained knowledge from other members that I consider invaluable.

I venture into crypto-zoology now and then, mainly to find the latest news.
Does sasquatch exist? IMO, more than likely.
Werewolves and vampires? Entertainment.

How does any of that affect me? My life will be no different the day they find a sasquatch body than it was before.
If a vampire was somehow proven to exist, that might change a thing or two, but back to reality.

As far as UFO's and aliens, well...

In my near forty years on this earth, I have had three encounters.
My first was when I was about fourteen, camping out with the boyscouts.
Myself and three other scouts all saw lights doing amazing things way up there.
These lights were slightly bigger than the surrounding stars, but moving very erraticcally.

I believe that experience taught me to look to the sky more often tha a normal person.
The second time was doing some night fishing when I was about eighteen or nineteen.
Again, nothing more than weird lights.

However, when I was thirty, I was running with my Akita, Hannah (R.I.P.) through some cornfields on a beautiful mid May day. She was ten to fifteen yards ahead of me, and broke out of the cornfield first, then around a little pond with some cattails growing.

When I caught up with her, I actually tripped over her, for she had sat down to stare at the sky.

Even after I tripped over her, she paid me no attention, she was staring intensely at the sky.

I looked to see what she was looking at, and there it was, a metallic round craft in the sky, roughly the sice of the head of a roofing nail held at arms length.

We both sat and stared for what must have been nearly five minutes, before it accelerated, slowly at first, then just sped away.

It was hovering above a nuclear power facility, out over Lake Michigan.
Ther is, IMO, no denying what I saw that clear, sunny afternoon.
There are reports on some site that tracks sightings in Wisconsin from that day, describing exactly what we saw.

What's the point?
I accepted long ago that other life forms exist,
and, quite honestly,
tomorrow will be no different than today because of that.

I get it.
They exist.
It doesn't change anything really, other than we've been lied to.

Is that anything new?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I've been on ATS for a few years off and on. It has shown me just how mean, crazy, and paranoid people can be...

and it has also shown me how wonderfully smart, kind and ingenious people can be also.

When you live in a small town like I do with the same old traditional thinking and oftentimes unimaginative people...

ATS is quite fascinateing.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I personally wonder about that too.

I know for me personally it is a continuation of my purpose in life or what I was told was my purpose in life.

I asked once what my purpose in life was and was told, "seek knowledge".

That is what I have been doing,that is my quest.

I think that would be a better motto for ATS than deny ignorance.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Hahaha. Perfect. I've been waiting for such a thread.

Let me tell you what all of this has gotten me. Let me tell you the tale of TheOneElectric~

From my birth, it seemed that I have been destined to be...quite diverse in nature. My parent's both have military service under their belts, so they were two well traveled individuals. I pretty much grew up next to a military base in the south. As a young African American child, I grew up amongst children of all different races and ethnicity, spending most of my time on the military base.

Upon exiting elementary school, my mother and father sought out a better education for myself. They had me tested for a fine arts magnet school in the city. I met the requirements and was accepted. This school went from grades 6-12. Everyone there was quite diverse as well. I met a lot of individuals from different socio-economic backgrounds. Everyone was talented in one way or another, and best of all everyone had some bit of intelligence. Things were quite normal except for the fact that it seems that my father's secret interests in aliens, military secrets, alternate history, the occult, and various other things were being transferred to myself on a subconscious level. It was not until 10th grade when I started to show my "strangeness". It all started in world history. We were discussing religion, and all of my history channel alternate religion knowledge started to flow. Needless to say, the students of strong "faith" quickly turned on me in discussion. After that, I realized a few things about the true fears of hell and how it limits the mind to the lack of general knowledge. These students were afraid to find the history and religions of other cultures interesting because their belief systems were so ingrained in their minds (mind you, this was a liberal fine arts school, so you can imagine how the rest of the people in the south must be).

From an early age, I've always discussed aliens with my father. For some reason or another he is completely convinced that they are humans from the future. I thank him for giving me that alternative view, for it has lead me to the most plausible (IMO) conclusion of the aliens being extra dimensional in nature. After my 10th grade year, I really started to get over my phobia of Greys and openly research the material. This prompted many discussions with my father that I still have today (though he believes I have gone a little too far with my conspiracy). Discussing these things with him was great. My closet friends in my later highschool years would discuss these things with me with open minds as well. It was very entertaining and provided me with many alternative views. Continuing my highschool career, I always felt out of place, even in this extremely liberal, intelligent, and diverse setting. I assumed it was just the average highschool feeling. My search for alternative knowledge and information continued. My discussions with my father continued as well. As I continued through highschool, I just felt more out of place, but I was happy.

I then started college and it was quite different. I enrolled in a school in the south that happens to be close to 95% Caucasian. Well, needless to say, things were just different. I had, for a while, forgotten to really understand racial barriers for all of those years in my youth. Im 19, so I can't really say I know anything about racism, so don't think that is where I am going with this. People's expectations are just so, so...so saddening. My peers in college, they make the funniest faces when they see the music that I listen to includes Bach, Immortal Technique, Muse, and other diverse selections. Basically, I was the black guy, except the black guy who seemed to be overly proper and not at all like they expected. Too logical, too intelligent, too rigid, too alien. I already barely felt like I fit in in highschool even when surrounded by people who accepted me. Now, I just started to feel completely out of place...lost. Needless to say, finding a girlfriend was basically next to impossible. Caucasian females were the majority, and the minority was almost nonexistent, so I was stuck fishing in a pond of fish that just wouldn't bite. Im not saying that they wouldn't date me, it just takes an unbelievable amount of effort to find a female who will treat me with a neutral yet friendly disposition in our first meeting. I tell myself today I'll wait until grad school to find a girl.

During my freshman year, I hung out with close friends and attempted to be as friendly as possible with everyone I met. My readings of Vera Stanley Adler, Graham Hancock, Blavatsky, Ghandi, Dogen, and many others opened expanded my knowledge as I searched. I then began to officially become immersed within conspiracy. I learned more everyday, every hour, and every minute. I began to meditate and become more spiritual and have had some good experiences with that. I found ATS and the rest is pretty much ongoing now. I am in my Sophomore year of college. That feeling of being out of place has become a feeling of completely not belonging. I do not belong, I know it, and I am ok with that..I am not actively searching and jumping at the opportunity to join something just to be a part of a community. I do not belong, and I am ok with it. This society is not for me, but I am part of the composite that is one. Anyways, I enjoy the company of my close friends and I act kindly towards just about everyone I can. I do try the party scene every now and then, but that is always "so-so".

I write fiction, and it seems that it could possibly turn into a lucrative career, though it has nothing to do with my major.

So, to sum it all up, the conspiracy theories are nothing more than myself trying to find the truth. I like to see the other possibilities, and I hope that I can help to change the world so that one they people like me do not have to "not belong" even though I am perfectly ok with it. The conspiracy doesn't affect my relationships with individuals too much, it just allows me to think a little more outside of the box.

Sort of stream of consciousness, sorry for it.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I wonder if WoodWard or BernStein ever asked themselves that too...

When you fail to want truth, you fail to want reality.

Good or bad, I want the truth in all forms.

new topics

top topics

join