It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Research Offers New Hope For Male Birth Control Pill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
From February 9, 2010 edition of Popular Science.

The male birth control pill has lingered for years tantalizingly just out of reach, in the realm where rumor meets science. Recently developed hormonal and mechanical contraceptives never found an audience, serving only to highlight the absence of a male pill. Now, an examination of how smoking pot lowers fertility may make the male pill more than a persistent rumor.

I found this article to be very interesting. I'm glad scientists are looking at the many different medical uses for marijuana, rather than just "it makes dying cancer patients feel better." To all the guys out there: would you take a male birth control pill if it were made available to you? I asked my boyfriend that question, and his answer was: "I'd probably forget to take it."

My favorite quote from this article by far:

A pill that contains anandamide, or in some other fashion alters the pH in testicles, could make anyone's sperm as lazy and apathetic as the spliff-ripping burnouts gaining that sterility the hard way.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by MarlboroRedCowgirl]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Well this is pretty interesting. I havent heard about this other than the "marijuana makes you infertile talk". But if they are working on a safe way for male birth control, then I say, why not? I believe birth control should work for both sexes. I wouldnt take it until its been through many clinical trials and all the studies they do, and then I may take it, depending on if I want kids at the time.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I wouldn't put much stock into anything "Popular Science" has to say about cannabis...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think your boyfriend and i share the same opinion.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this either. Especially since they used the term "spliff ripping burnouts who choose to do this the hard way". Clearly they show disdain towards anyone who uses cannabis. But that said the whole concept is bad science.

There is no evidence that marijuana causes infertility in men or women. In animal studies, high doses of THC diminish the production of some sex hormones and can impair reproduction. However, most studies of humans have found that marijuana has no impact of sex hormones. In those studies showing an impact, it is modest, temporary, and of no apparent consequence for reproduction. There is no scientific evidence that marijuana delays adolescent sexual development, has feminizing effect on males, or a masculinizing effect on females.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I saw the article im not convinced. However saying that popular science iis not a good source really does nothing to refute it's claims.
www.cannabis.net...
That is a pro-cannibis site that says it does effect the way sperm behaves. But please note that "low sperm count" does not mean that a smoker cannot reproduce. Tobacco and large ammounts of alcohol can reduce spermcounts and we all know that people who smoke and drink can have children.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
I saw the article im not convinced. However saying that popular science iis not a good source really does nothing to refute it's claims.
www.cannabis.net...
That is a pro-cannibis site that says it does effect the way sperm behaves. But please note that "low sperm count" does not mean that a smoker cannot reproduce. Tobacco and large ammounts of alcohol can reduce spermcounts and we all know that people who smoke and drink can have children.

My partner and myself tried to concieve for up to 2 years unsuccessfully, we used cannabis for the last year, we kept the use up, but quit all smoking and alcohol and caffine and ONE month later - i was pregnant (we obviously don't smoke now theres a baby on the way) but i put the cigs and grog down to my partners lower sperm, not the cannabis.

But thats just our personal story, although i know several people who have smoked much heavier then us, and they went on to have children too.

I wish there was more research done on this drug. But hey, any advancement for the males to have to take the pill instead of us, is a step in the right direction ;p. (i'm the one that forgets to take my tablets - not him!)

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I definitely do not agree with the negative comment in the article, but I did find it humorous. I think that cannabis has unlimited medical potential, and this is just another example of why it's prohibition is destructive. If cannabis can make it possible to even out the birth control equation, I believe it would be monumental. How wonderful would it be for both partners to have that security rather than the responsibility lying on the woman's shoulders?

To the poster above me, congratulations!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I thought there was already a male birth control pill/injections coming soon? i doubt most guys would care where it comes from as long as it does the job. I could see a male birth control pill giving rise to STD's though as people somehow think they should stop using condoms(silly,but they no doubt will)

[edit on 4-3-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I wouldn't dare mess with Kreation!! hehe

no but seriously... if they really came out with a male birth control I would be all over that in a heart beat. But I would reaallllyyyy have to be convinced that it works first!

top topics

join