It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is you're favourite conqueror?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
no one has ever ruled the world but one man came close..............ceasar

[edit on 7/4/2004 by machinegunjordan]

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
No one does, but I dont think Caesar didnt really. Genghis Khan...

[edit on 9-7-2004 by AD5673]

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Regarding Alexander The Great,
Think about how much he achieved during his short lifetime.
He was only 33 years old when he died (and he did not die in battle).
He always led his forces up front, didn�t hide in the background like some does/did. He never lost a battle!
He was only 16 years old when he first led his troops into battle.
How old are you?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Irwin Eugene Rommel Junior. he did most of hitlers conquering

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
George Patton has to rank among the greatest military minds of all time. Patton can be credited for adapting the Panzer tactics of the German's and mastering them to such an extent that he became the only allied leader truly feard by the Germans.

My personal favorite ancient conqueror has to be none other than Sparticus, the under dog gladiator who nearly defeated the most powerful force on the planet.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
No one does, but I dont think Caesar did really. Genghis Khan...

Didn't the Mongols control more surface area of the planet than any other empire in history? I forget the author's name but in The History of Warfare on Land, I read that Mongol forces had begun raiding Poland, but returned home to sort out the succession after Genghis Kahn died.

Another interesting point about the Mongols is that you can draw a comparison to Napolean in the way that they traveled in a dispersed line, making for a very broad axis of advance, but concentrated their forces for battle very effectively, which as Sun Tsu would put it, made their army like water flowing down a mountain.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Heinz Guderian.

He was the minor executive officer who really developed the German concept of Blitzkrieg. His leadership in the invasion of Poland gave him the authority when it came to the later invasion of France.

His actions at the Battle of Sedan were inspired. The German army itself didn't know what to make of him. He penetrated deep into France without infantry support, and when ordered to wait for backup, he threatened to resign his commision as an officer. His General accepted his resignation, but Hitler forced Guderian's reinstatement.

While he may not have been on the level or Rommel or Alexander, he did have the nerve to argue with his superiors over strategy, even arguing with Hitler himself on multiple occaisions. He resigned again later in the war, but was called back by Hitler when things began to go sour for Germany.

His failure was a monumental one, the battle of kursk, which was the end of Nazi hopes in Russia. But then All the Nazis failed, since their brilliant tactics were yoked to the goetterdamerung-evil of Hitler and his monstrous henchmen.

Anyway, an interesting study.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
i would have to say alexander the great... cause he conquered great nations in his days

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Adolf Hitler cause he has a cool mustache. Yep Hitler

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'd have to say Spartacus, defeating the superpower of the world again and again with often less troops than the enemy...utterly amazing.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
spartucus was great he worked mining marble and wasnt chosen to go to a gladiator school so he started a fight for attention so he could go then started an uprising.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm not sure "favorite" is quite the right word for this topic, but I would say that most interesting to my mind would be Chancellor Otto von Bismark, who almost managed to unit all German speaking people on the premise of a common enemy. I'm a little rusty on my history, but I remember the "enemy" changed to suit his purposes. He really was a great commander. There was no "Germany" before Bismark. I think I've got a couple books around here I can dig through...

(Edit) Here's a link about the culmination of this, the Frano-Prussian war: en.wikipedia.org... .

Cercey

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Cercey]

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Cercey]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Thoth/Hermes for conquering the ignorance of the ancient world...This guy was known all over the world.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Heinz Guderian.

He was the minor executive officer who really developed the German concept of Blitzkrieg. His leadership in the invasion of Poland gave him the authority when it came to the later invasion of France.

His actions at the Battle of Sedan were inspired. The German army itself didn't know what to make of him. He penetrated deep into France without infantry support, and when ordered to wait for backup, he threatened to resign his commision as an officer. His General accepted his resignation, but Hitler forced Guderian's reinstatement.

While he may not have been on the level or Rommel or Alexander, he did have the nerve to argue with his superiors over strategy, even arguing with Hitler himself on multiple occaisions. He resigned again later in the war, but was called back by Hitler when things began to go sour for Germany.

His failure was a monumental one, the battle of kursk, which was the end of Nazi hopes in Russia. But then All the Nazis failed, since their brilliant tactics were yoked to the goetterdamerung-evil of Hitler and his monstrous henchmen.

Anyway, an interesting study.

Hey there. I had to post and do some correcting of info here. You're doing quite a big disservice to the memory of Guderian, who when it comes to tank warfare was 'the man'.

Guderian quite simply invented Blitzkrieg and the combined arms concept, still used today by all modern armies. It was his panzers and not Rommel's that reached the Meuse river and then the Atlantic coast. It was Guderian's 2nd Panzerarmee that got within 15 miles of Moscow in 1941 until he was relieved by Hitler for daring to disobey insane orders.

For the record, Guderian had nothing to do with Kursk. In fact, he along with Erich von Manstein (another brilliant commander) were the most vocal opponents of that battle. Guderian never saw frontline service again after the Battle of Moscow which was a great shame for Germany but a massive break for the Allies.

As for Rommel, he was a very able tank commander but he got it all from Guderian, the man who wrote the book on Panzer warfare. Rommel was to 'Ritchie Cunningham' as Guderian was to 'The Fonz. '

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have to vote for Spartacus,staring at one of the lowest point in society taking on the sole super power of his time kicking their butts up and down Italy then when his freedom was in sight We turned back to kick more Roman butt.

Man they have to make a new movie about tht guy I would go see that in a heart beat

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
favourite conquerer?? JESUS CHRIST!

who came not to condemn the world but to SAVE IT!!

Jesus has many many names and titles..the Conquering Lion of Judea is the most applicable to this post, here are some others:

Advocate (1 John 2:1)
Almighty (Rev. 1:8; Mt. 28:18)
Alpha and Omega (Rev. 1:8; 22:13)
Amen (Rev. 3:14)
Apostle of our Profession (Heb. 3:1)
Atoning Sacrifice for our Sins (1 John 2:2)
Author of Life (Acts 3:15)
Author and Perfecter of our Faith (Heb. 12:2)
Author of Salvation (Heb. 2:10)
Beginning and End (Rev. 22:13)
Blessed and only Ruler (1 Tim. 6:15)
Bread of God (John 6:33)
Bread of Life (John 6:35; 6:48)
Capstone (Acts 4:11; 1 Pet. 2:7)
Chief Cornerstone (Eph. 2:20)
Chief Shepherd (1 Pet. 5:4)
Christ (1 John 2:22)
Creator (John 1:3)
Deliverer (Rom. 11:26)
Eternal Life (1 John 1:2; 5:20)
Everlasting Father (Isa. 9:6)
Gate (John 10:9)
Faithful and True (Rev. 19:11)
Faithful Witness (Rev. 1:5)
Faith and True Witness (Rev. 3:14)
First and Last (Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13)
Firstborn From the Dead (Rev. 1:5)
God (John 1:1; 20:28; Heb. 1:8; Rom. 9:5; 2 Pet. 1:1;1 John 5:20; etc.)
Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14)
Great Shepherd (Heb. 13:20)
Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14)
Head of the Church (Eph. 1:22; 4:15; 5:23)
Heir of all things (Heb. 1:2)
High Priest (Heb. 2:17)
Holy and True (Rev. 3:7)
Holy One (Acts 3:14)
Hope (1 Tim. 1:1)
Hope of Glory (Col. 1:27)
Horn of Salvation (Luke 1:69)
I Am (John 8:58)
Image of God (2 Cor. 4:4)
King Eternal (1 Tim. 1:17)
King of Israel (John 1:49)
King of the Jews (Mt. 27:11)
King of kings (1 Tim 6:15; Rev. 19:16)
King of the Ages (Rev. 15:3)
Lamb (Rev. 13:8)
Lamb of God (John 1:29)
Lamb Without Blemish (1 Pet. 1:19)
Last Adam (1 Cor. 15:45)
Life (John 14:6; Col. 3:4)
Light of the World (John 8:12)
Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Rev. 5:5)
Living One (Rev. 1:18)
Living Stone (1 Pet. 2:4)
Lord (2 Pet. 2:20)
Lord of All (Acts 10:36)
Lord of Glory (1 Cor. 2:8)
Lord of lords (Rev. 19:16)
LORD [YHWH] our Righteousness (Jer. 23:6)
Man from Heaven (1 Cor. 15:48)
Mediator of the New Covenant (Heb. 9:15)
Mighty God (Isa. 9:6)
Morning Star (Rev. 22:16) (please note this is not the same as Son of the Morning!!! thats someone else completely!!!)
Offspring of David (Rev. 22:16)
Only Begotten Son of God (John 1:18; 1 John 4:9)
Our Great God and Savior (Titus 2:13)
Our Holiness (1 Cor. 1:30)
Our Husband (2 Cor. 11:2)
Our Protection (2 Thess. 3:3)
Our Redemption (1 Cor. 1:30)
Our Righteousness (1 Cor. 1:30)
Our Sacrificed Passover Lamb (1 Cor. 5:7)
Power of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
Precious Cornerstone (1 Pet. 2:6)
Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6)
Prophet (Acts 3:22)
Resurrection and Life (John 11:25)
Righteous Branch (Jer. 23:5)
Righteous One (Acts 7:52; 1 John 2:1)
Rock (1 Cor. 10:4)
Root of David (Rev. 5:5; 22:16)
Ruler of God�s Creation (Rev. 3:14)
Ruler of the Kings of the Earth (Rev. 1:5)
Savior (Eph. 5:23; Titus 1:4; 3:6; 2 Pet. 2:20)
Son of David (Lk. 18:39)
Son of God (John 1:49; Heb. 4:14)
Son of Man (Mt. 8:20)
Son of the Most High God (Lk. 1:32)
Source of Eternal Salvation for all who obey him (Heb. 5:9)
The One Mediator (1 Tim. 2:5)
The Stone the builders rejected (Acts 4:11)
True Bread (John 6:32)
True Light (John 1:9)
True Vine (John 15:1)
Truth (John 1:14; 14:6)
Way (John 14:6)
Wisdom of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
Wonderful Counselor (Isa. 9:6)
Word (John 1:1)
Word of God (Rev. 19:13)

This is a valid answer to the post because:
1) Jesus is a man, who was here on earth in the FLESH..like Alexandra the Great
2) Jesus did not just conquer the earth but all principalities and powers, rulers and authorities..he now reigns above all and will soon take rulership of the entire world!! (forever!)

[edit on 21-8-2004 by TruthStrgnrThanFiction]

Odd

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well, I feel a bit silly coming in after Christ there, but I'm gonna say Erik the Red. Sure, he's a bit obscure, and nobody is exactly sure as to why he conquered some of the things he did, but that's why I love the guy.

Vikings rule, anyway.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Alexander was the last conqueror who rode at the front of his troops straight into battle. The amount of loyalty he commanded was remarkable. He was a leader, not a dictator. There's an Oliver Stone movie coming out soon about him and I hope it turns out well.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Kaiser Wilhelm II, yes an excellent choice!!! but Julius Ceaser far better conquerer and he changed the world in so many ways!! HAIL CEASER!!!!
How long do posts have to be so you dont get in trouble?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiser617
HAIL CEASER!!!!
How long do posts have to be so you dont get in trouble?

I think you�re gonna be ok, Herr Kaiser617.
No trouble detected so far.
I don�t know what a "Heil Hitler!" would have resulted in though...
Or how about a ...
?

EDIT: Actually, I think Guderian have been highly underestimated for what he did.

[Edited on 2004/8/22 by Hellmutt]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join