It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Status of Women in Islam - Stopping the disinfo

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Hi all,

There is a lot of nonsense that claims women in Islam have no position, are mistreated and considered with low regard.

I would like to present some views of how the Islamic religion views the status of women.

The information I will present is based and supported by verses from the Koran and is work that has been presented at the following site:

"http://islamic-world.net/sister/the_koran_&_women.htm"

So here goes with the quotes which I think is essential to post here to enable fruitful discussion:

1. Woman is recognized by Islam as a full and equal partner of man in the procreation of humankind. He is the father; she is the mother, and both are essential for life. Her role is not less vital than his. By this partnership she has an equal share in every aspect; she is entitled to equal rights; she undertakes equal responsibilities, and in her there are as many qualities and as much humanity as there are in her partner. To this equal partner- ship in the reproduction of human kind God says:
O mankind! Verily We have created your from a single (pair) of a male and a female,m and made you into nations and tribes that you may know each other... (Qur'an, 49:13; cf. 4:1).

2. She is equal to man in bearing personal and common responsi- bilities and in receiving rewards for her deeds. She is acknowledged as an independent personality, in possession of human qualities and worthy of spiritual aspirations. Her human nature is neither inferior to nor deviant from that of man. Both are members of one another. God says:
And their Lord has accepted (their prayers) and answered them (saying): 'Never will I cause to be lost the work of any of you, be he male or female; you are members, one of another... (3:195; cf 9:71;33:35-36;66:19-21).

3. She is equal to man in the pursuit of education and knowledge. When Islam enjoins the seeking of knowledge upon Muslims, it makes no distinction between man and woman. Almost fourteen centuries ago, Muhammad declared that the pursuit of knowledge is incumbent on every Muslim male and female. This declaration was very clear and was implemented by Muslims throughout history.

4. She is entitled to freedom of expression as much as man is. Her sound opinions are taken into consideration and cannot be disregarded just because she happen to belong to the female sex. It is reported in the Qur'an and history that woman not only expressed her opinion freely but also argued and participated in serious discussions with the Prophet himself as well as with other Muslim leaders (Qur'an, 58:1-4; 60:10-12). Besides there were occasions when Muslim women expressed their views on legislative matters of public interest, and stood in opposition to the Caliphs, who then accepted the sound arguments of these women. A specific example took place during the Califate of Umar Ibn al-Khattab.

5. Historical records show that women participated in public life with the early Muslims, especially in times of emergencies. Women used to accompany the Muslim armies engaged in battles to nurse the wounded, prepare supplies, serve the warriors, and so on. They were not shut behind iron bars or considered worthless creatures and deprived of souls.

6. Islam grants woman equal rights to contract, to enterprise, to earn and possess independently. Her life, her property, her honor are as sacred as those of man. If she commits any offense, her penalty is no less or more than of man's in a similar case. If she is wronged or harmed, she gets due compensations equal to what a man in her position would get (2:178;4:45, 92-93).

7. Islam does not state these rights in a statistical form and then relax. It has taken all measures to safeguard them and put them into practice as integral articles of Faith. It never tolerates those who are inclined to prejudice against woman or discrimination between man and woman. Time and again, the Qur'an reproaches those who used to believe woman to be inferior to man (16:57-59, 62; 42:47-59; 43:15-19; 53:21-23).

8. Apart from recognition of woman as an independent human being acknowledged as equally essential for the survival of humanity, Islam has given her a share of inheritance. Before Islam, she was not only deprived of that share but was herself considered as property to be inherited by man. Out of that transferable property Islam made an heir, acknowledging the inherent human qualifies in woman. Whether she is a wife or mother, a sister or daughter, she receives a certain share of the deceased kin's property, a share which depends on her degree of relationship to the deceased and the number of heirs. This share is hers, and no one can take it away or disinherit her....

9. In some instances of bearing witness to certain civil con- tracts, two men are required or one man and two women. Again, this is no indication of the woman being inferior to man. It is a measure of securing the rights of the contracting parties, because woman as a rule, is not so experienced in practical life as man. This lack of experience may cause a loss to any party in a given contract. So the Law requires that at least two women should bear witness with one man. if a woman of the witness forgets something, the other one would remind her. Or if she makes an error, due to lack of experience, the other would help to correct her. This is a precautionary measure to guarantee honest transactions and proper dealings between people. In fact, it gives woman a role to play in civil life and helps to establish justice. At any rate, lack of experience in civil life does not necessarily mean that women is inferior to man in her status. Every human being lacks one thing or another, yet no one questions their human status (2:282).

10. Woman enjoys certain privileges of which man is deprived. She is exempt from some religious duties, i.e., prayers and fasting, in her regular periods and at times of confinement. She is exempt from all financial liabilities. As a mother, she enjoys more recognition and higher honor in the sight of God (31:14-15;46:15). The Prophet acknowledged this honor when he declared that Paradise is under the feet of the mothers. She is entitled to three-fourths of the son's love and kindness with one-fourth left for their father. As a wife she is entitled to demand of her prospective husband a suitable dowry that will be her own. She is entitled to complete provision and total maintenance by the husband. She does not have to work or share with her husband the family expenses. She is free to retain, after marriage, whatever she possessed before it, and the husband has no right whatsoever to any of her belongings. As a daughter or sister she is entitled to security and provision by the father and brother respectively. That is her privilege. If she wishes to work or be self-supporting and participate in handling the family responsibilities, she is quite free to do so, provided her integrity and honor are safeguarded

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Jinni]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

11. The standing of woman in prayers behind man does not indicate in any sense that she is inferior to him. Woman, as already mentioned, is exempt from attending congregational prayers which are obligatory on man. But if she does attend she stands in separate lines made up of women exclusively . This is a regulation of discipline in prayers, and not a classification of importance. In men's rows the head of state stands shoulder to shoulder to the pauper. Men of the highest ranks in society stand in prayer side by side with other men of the lowest ranks. The order of lines in prayers is introduced to help every one to concentrate in his meditation. It is very important because Muslim prayers are not simply chanting or the sing-a-song type. They involve actions, motions, standing, bowing, prostration, etc. So if men mix with women in the same lines, it is possible that something disturbing or distracting may happen. The mind will become occupied by something alien to prayer and derailed from the clear path of mediation. The result will be a loss of the purpose of prayers, besides an offense of adultery committed by the eye, because the eye-by looking at forbidden things - can be guilty of adultery as much as the heart itself. Moreover, no Muslim man or woman is allowed during prayers to touch the body of another person of the opposite sex. If men and women stand side by side in prayer they cannot avoid touching each other. Furthermore, when a woman is praying in front of a man or beside him, it is very likely that any part of her dressed body may become uncovered after a certain motion of bowing or prostrating. The man's eye may happen to be looking at the uncovered part, with the result that she will be embarrassed and he will be exposed to distraction or possibly evil thoughts. So, to avoid any embarrassment and distraction to help concentrate on mediation and pure thoughts, to maintain harmony and order among worshippers, to fulfill the true purposes of prayers, Islam has ordained the organization of rows, whereby men stand in front lines, and women behind the children.Anyone with some knowledge of the nature and purpose of Muslim prayerscan readily understand the wisdom of organizing the lines of worshippers in this manner.

12. The Muslim woman is always associated with an old tradition known as the "veil". It is Islamic that the woman should beautify herself with the veil of honor, dignity, chastity, purity and integrity. She should refrain from all deeds and gestures that might stir the passions of people other than her legitimate husband or cause evil suspicion of her morality. She is warned not to display her charms or expose her physical attractions before strangers. The veil which she must put on is one that can save her soul from weakness, her mind from indulgence, her eyes from lustful looks, and her personality from demoralization. Islam is most concerned with the integrity of woman, with the safeguarding of her morals and morale and with the protection of her character and personality (cf. Qur'an, 24:30-31).

13. By now it is clear that the status of woman in Islam is unprecedentedly high and realistically suitable to her nature. Her rights and duties are equal to those of man but not necessarily or absolutely identical with them. If she is deprived of one thing in some aspect, she is fully compensated for it with more things in many other aspects. The fact that she belongs to the female sex has no bearing on her human status or independent personality, and it is no basis for justification of prejudice against her or injustice to her person. Islam gives her as much as is required of her. Her rights match beautifully with her duties. The balance between rights and duties is maintained, and no side overweighs the other. The whole status of woman is given clearly in the Qur'anic verse which may be translated as follows:
And women shall have rights similar to the rights against them, according to what is equitable; but man have a degree (of advantage as in some cases of inheritance) over them (2:228).
This degree is not a title of supremacy or an authorization of dominance over her. It is to correspond with the extra responsibil- ities of man and give him some compensation for his unlimited liabilities. The above mentioned verse is always interpreted in the light of another (4:34).

It is these extra responsibilities that give man a degree over in some economic aspects. It is not a higher degree in humanity or in character. Nor is it a dominance of one over the other or suppression of one by the other. It is a distribution of God's abundance according to the needs of the nature of which God is the Maker. And He knows best what is good for woman and what is good for man. God is absolutely true when He declares:
O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord, Who created you from a single person, and created of like nature his mate, and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women (4:1).

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think it is you who is misinformed Subjective truth.

The rights Muhammad gave women were revolutionary in his day....especially in the west. The Greeks had harems...aka women's quarters...and the Byzantines developed the veil...in both cases the woman was subject to her husband. Islam gave women the right of inhertiance as well that of divorce and forbade the killing of girl babies which was practiced a lot at the time.

So much of what characters like you criticize Islam over are actually cultural practices of the country in question and are not native to Islam.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinni

I dont think you have thought this through mate, just because it says something thats written down, doesnt mean thats what happens.

its not as black and white as that, some Muslims are very modern people who dont interpret the koran in a view of how the book was written many ancient years ago.

however, their is still a good percentage of muslims who are still living in the ages of many years ago who are quite backwards and not modern at all and interpret the koran to how some other modern muslims do not.

Its all about the interpretation.
a percentage game, numbers I dont know.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Sparkey76]

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Sparkey76]

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yes, it is obvious. Just look at all islamic countries, all you see is independent women, with careers, enjoying freedom like nowhere else. They are free to study (islam) and free to make babies (along with other wives who are owned by a "husband"). They are sold like cattle, and killed like wild game. They can't show their faces, nor talk to people on the streets, nor, in most cases, even walk in the street.

Yet, they are free, according to islam, that is all they need.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by herbivore]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by herbivore

I think I need to set something straight here.

I'm not talking about cultural attitudes towards women. Instead, I'm talking about what people who claim to follow Islam should do according their religion.

There are many deaths in Western world resulting from pedophilia, child abuse, women abuse that is astronomically high and increasing.

Since Islam is being accused as opposed to peoples perception of it or disobedience of it then this thread is aimed to go directly to the source and really look at how women should be treated.

In my service years I've been all across the world and have seen first hand how well women are actually treated! shocking I know!

I don't believe the exceptional stories that come into main media are representative of what is going on everywhere in the muslim world.

I'm talking about ISLAM not CULTURE or anything else.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Reply to post by Jinni

Thank you OP for your excellent contrabution to helping us deny our ignorance. I always thought the propaganda didn't jive with the history of Islam much less what little I have read of their beliefs. But most of that is off topic.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Bitter much are we?

Stop complaining, it was removed cause you broke the T&C. I don't even know what was written there and it doesn't matter, what matters is that not only 1 mod made that decision, everything is peer reviewed here my friend, so drop your grudge.

As for the OP, I agree with him. The MSM tries to paint Islam in such a dark fashion it would even recognize that Islam provides more rights to women than Christianity does in it's scriptures.

Now mind you I still disagree with the vast majority of what Islam represents, but let's give credit where it's due.

S&F and a good find, don't let the trolls tell you otherwise.

BTW Subjective Truth: I'm the one who reported you...on both counts

~Keeper

[edit on 2/10/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinni

Enlightening post. nice presentation, pity the rulers of some middle eastern countries dont really understand this.

I think your religion is silly and stupid, but take no offense, I find all religions silly and stupid. I would like however you endless supply of silly stupid worshippers of all religions to get along better and stop making each other evil and demonic. Some of your books are progressive, some are backwards, but out of all the religions I have read up on, none are evil...so get over your better/worse god nonsense and simply stand united that you all believe in a higher intelligence and that chap generally isnt a fan of violence and lies...so stop killing each other and lying..otherwise, live and let live

From a outsiders point of view, you lot argue and kill each other over some of the most trivial stuff that half the damn time isnt even the real case to begin with...

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Please post on topic.

Any concerns otherwise, the 'Alert/Compaint' button is your friend.

Thank you and carry on.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the info I am kinda new and have never had this problem before how do I contact ATS who minds over the moderators?

You have a U2U

[edit on 10/2/10 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

We are not talking about generalities here. We are talking about the status of women. Not killing each other or whether God exists or whether we are stupid idiots.

There are many the believe status of women in Islam is "stupid and idiotic". I am presenting to you the real deal about the issue.

So why is the Status of Women in Islam Stupid and Idiotic?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Why does every person who goes on the warpath have to always blame the mods when they get slapped for acting like a child?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinni
reply to post by SaturnFX

We are not talking about generalities here. We are talking about the status of women. Not killing each other or whether God exists or whether we are stupid idiots.

There are many the believe status of women in Islam is "stupid and idiotic". I am presenting to you the real deal about the issue.

So why is the Status of Women in Islam Stupid and Idiotic?

I think he's just refering to his personal view that if you use religion as a guide to how you treat women than your a moron.

That's what I got out of it anyway, and I have to say I agree.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
looking at you past posts tells me your a disinfo/propaganda agent for islamic intrests. you can pull anything you want from the Koran and the bible its the way thay are writen. so thay have an anser for most situations. but actions speak louder than words. i when to school with many muslims and the girls were second to the lads any disagrements between the sex`s resulted in large groups of males opposing the female to keep her/them inline so to speak

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join