It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latvia Sells Secret Soviet City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Latvia Sells Secret Soviet City

www.disinfo.com

Posted by JacobSloan on February 10, 2010

Lavtia has auctioned off an entire city to a private bidder. Skrunda-1 has built by the USSR in the ’80s and kept off all maps and records. “It is not immediately clear” what plans the mysterious investor has for it. From the Boston Globe:

Latvia sold a deserted town built around a Soviet-era radar station to a Russian investor who bid $3.1 million at an unusual auction yesterday, officials said.

The town formerly known as Skrunda-1 housed abo
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.boston.com
www.france24.com

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I wonder what this will be used for. The article says the buyer was Aleksejevskoje-Serviss, a Russia-based firm. Actually I suppose its not super-unusual but it was a military installation. That part strikes me as unusual. Perhaps it wil be a radar theme park.
Some of the pictures I ve seen are quite interesting, as is the fact that it went for fully 10 times the price. Could their be anything of value informationally on the site?

www.disinfo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-2-2010 by liquidself]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
$3.1 million for a city ? u hardly buy a flat in london, mabe gud deal

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The old guard of the former soviet union, are no different than the obsolete chicken hawks we have clinging to control here in the USA.

Just as Bush & son, Cheney and Rumsfield among others, tried to rebuild their military industrial complex, so too does the "Moscows". Exept they are trying to reaquire all that was lost when the now independant nations, once belonged to the USSR.

The power and influene once held by them is scattered and if they can get it back, the peices start to come together. Yesteryear it was Georgia, who knows where it goes from Skrunda, but I know even if they officially get it back. Their intelligence interception capabilities will still be no rival of the NSAs. And it won't defeat or counter any thing we put in Poland.

Obsolete chicken hawks, clinging to a fantasy.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be way off target.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by ADVISOR]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Isn't this so much easier than killing 100000+ people to inherit land?

Just buy it =)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

Consider the monetary exchange, compare the same $$$ ammount in Mexico and you might get an idea of how much ruples are worth.

It's a ghost town, abandoned after the military left.

The ghost town is approximately 110 acres of falling down structures, and no plans for its intended future use have been shared with the public
former Russian military camp is being sold to the Russians

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
A hidden city? Did they advertise?

I'm curious as to what motivates such a transaction to occur.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Its funny but the fact that the Russians bought this area totally escaped me. I think its an important point. I have found this story which apparently occured near Skrunda, (which I admit has begun to fascinate me somewhat - such a large and important facility - it must have had its 5 percent of ufo sightings surely in its day). Its buried in this huge page

www.ufoinfo.com...

Location. Near Skrunda, Latvia
Date: March 2 1995
Time: unknown
After being shot at by another UFO a craft reportedly crashed into a forest 100km southeast of Riga. The craft was almost intact and crashed into an isolated area of woods and bogs in the area close to a military reservation and was recovered by a Russian military communications unit possibly working at the Skrunda radar station. According to a 1rst hand eyewitness, soldier, V Verkhorubov who accidentally caught a glance of the disk while it was in a surface hangar. The craft was a dome-shaped disk about 7-8 meters in diameter, with a vertical slit opening on one side. His commanding officer noticed him near the disk, watching closely many details of the disk. Suddenly his commanding officer yelled at him, "Radiation, get away"! After that all the soldiers of the unit were locked back again in the barracks. The disk was already opened when the military found it. Three dead humanoids were found onboard, all killed by the hard impact, including 2 bio-robots and another conscious alien. The three dead aliens were of the gray type, their skin was green-grayish, they were dwarf-like with big hairless heads, huge eyes, Asiatic looking faces, hands with four webbed fingers and hoofed feet. The bodies were extracted from the disk and moved expeditiously by a military airplane from a nearby Latvian military aerodrome to Moscow by a special recovery team. The bodies were transported in cryogenic containers. Inscriptions found inside the disk resembled Sanskrit. The disk was moved to a surface hangar in a military industrial complex in Korolyov, in the vicinity of Moscow just north of it. There it was dismantled into 6 segments. The segments of the disk were then eventually moved to the island of Novaya Zemlya, a top-secret military installation build inside a mountain code-named "Glacier". The autopsy of the alien bodies and their preservation was performed in an isolated top-secret underground bunker located under building on the territory of a military biomedical research center east of Solnechnogorsk.

HC addendum
Source: Anton Anfalov list, quoting Lev Melnikov, Larissa Chora, and clairvoyant Lenura Azizova
Type: H

Seeing the clairvoyant there is troubling. a lot of detail and not clear to me how it is known.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I thought the motivation was pretty obvious. Of course, that is mostly often just me. Well there are a few factors, perhaps a glimpse of news I've been following will show a clearer picture.

Consider the fact that Russia is opposed to US interests, and they are desperate for a counter measure (not likely), or early warning capability, as it is (more likely). Keep in mind as I mentioned above, what the facilty was. Or can be again.

Talks on locating part of the planned missile-defense shield on Polish territory made headway yesterday in the wake of the Georgian conflict.

The Russian incursion heightened Poland's security concerns and ``made the Polish government a little more willing to conclude a deal,''

U.S., Poland Reach Agreement on Missile Defense

Map showing why US interest is in Poland, now because of Georgia Poland is more agree able.

Follow for more

Infuriated Moscow issues threat in reaction to deal on interceptor base

"Reason has prevailed over ambitions," Popovkin said. "Naturally, we will cancel countermeasures which Russia has planned in response, such as the (planned) deployment of Iskander missiles in the Kaliningrad region."
Russia scraps plan to deploy missiles near Poland

Perhaps Skrunda is a more prefered location, all in all, it is in the public eye and surely we will be hearing more on this in the near future.

Sounds to me, like one more reason for the USA and USSR to compete militarily.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by ADVISOR]

new topics

top topics

join