It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Shuts Down Gmail, Announces National E-Mail Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So then, Iran suspends gmail. Question: Why?

Iran's telecommunications agency announced Wednesday that it has permanently suspended Google's e-mail services and that a national e-mail service for Iranians will be rolled out soon. It is not clear what effect the order has had on gmail in Iran. Google has not yet commented about the announcement. Google on Tuesday unveiled a new service called "Buzz," a social networking tool built into its gmail service. The announced suspension of gmail comes as Iranian authorities have deployed in force across Tehran to conduct last-minute security sweeps and warn residents to refrain from joining antigovernment protests planned for Thursday -- the 31st anniversary of the Islamic Revolution.

Source

I doubt this is the message that Iran will be shocking the Western world with but what do you all think?

[edit on 10-2-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Could Twitter be next?

Also, Iranian opposition figures have been arrested:

Iran has arrested several opposition activists in a bid to prevent mass street protests expected today on the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution. Opposition leaders are already rallying their supporters to disrupt today's state-sponsored celebrations on the 31st anniversary of the revolution which saw Ayatollah Ruholla Khomeini oust the Shah. Today's hardline regime has warned of a tough response if protesters try to hijack the celebrations by staging more anti-government protests.

Source

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I doubt this is the message that Iran will be shocking the Western world with but what do you all think?

I doubt they made all that fuss just to say they are canceling goggles services. What comes on the 11th i believe is that they are buying U.S. Bonds off of China

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reading news article after news article, I can honestly say the following...

My country may be completely snip and backwards crazy, but in comparison, man I love where I live...I cant imagine dealing with the daily...hourly *real* bullocks they face in Iran and not make me just crack up, grab a rifle, and start shooting anyone in a uniform for this completely obvious rollout of iron fisted dictatorship.

Absurd

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I reckon they will shut down twitter next. This was a big thing for them organizing their protests over there.

I think Iran will tell the US to go jump, especially with the way that the US seem to be antagonising China. China has potential to be a great ally for Iran.

And this is being disliked around the world why?

I feel that the US sometimes interferes too much.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by morf991
I doubt they made all that fuss just to say they are canceling goggles services. What comes on the 11th i believe is that they are buying U.S. Bonds off of China

Can you explain to me what that would mean? I'm not at all familiar with bonds.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Let's not presuppose that Iran isn't a depiction of what's to come the US.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MissMegs

Agreed. I would have though Twitter was more of a threat than gmail.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos
reply to post by SaturnFX

Let's not presuppose that Iran isn't a depiction of what's to come the US.

The attempt to banish net neutrality did get me worried for a bit...luckily only the most diluted and simple of minds backed that effort up...guess there will always be crazys..luckily there isnt enough of them to make a difference.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well its logical, why would they let NSA dig into Iranian citizens private conversations?

Iran's telecommunications agency announced what it described as a permanent suspension of Google Inc.'s email services, saying a national email service for Iranian citizens would soon be rolled out.
online.wsj.com...

new topics

top topics

join