It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Streets Of St Louis Lined With Trees, Literally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ok, even though I don't really buy into all the Global Warming/Climate Change bit, I still acknowledge and understand the need to raise awareness.
But how far will people go in their quest for a environmentally friendly world?
Yeah, I'll comply and do my part to go "GREEN", but I'm not going to jeopardize my safety.

Hold on to your hats because there is an idiot Alderman from St Louis that deserves a B-tch slap upside the head for his so called bright idea of planting trees out in the street.
Forget about the sidewalks, this idiot has already started planting trees out in the path of moving vehicles.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI-FOX2now.com) - There is a strange sight on a south St. Louis street that you just paid to pave. One alderman's idea of giving you a greener street may have taxpayers seeing red. The You Paid For It team is asking questions of Alderman Stephen Gregali about more than $3-thousand worth of tree planters on Delor Street.

You Paid For It: Delor Street Tree Planters

On the bright side, at least the cyclists will now be forced to ride on the sidewalk.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
wow that was funny " why dont you ask a tree engineer"

that guy really seems stupid.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

To bad I cannot tell what kind of trees those are. Depending on the type of tree, those roads in 5-6 years could be busted up due to the roots.

Also, when you build streets and the like, you put the sewer, water, electric, cable, telephone in certain locations. I would have to dig out my other hdd to find Missouri's codes and public utilities locations. I have not built there so I do not know there locations by memory.

But NOW, we have some idiots thinking trees should go in the road?

Frelling morons.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I've spent a lot of time in St. Louis and their sewer and water is underneath the streets like many cities.

Missouri has a lot of granite and bedrock, so trees do tend to have surface roots, although St. Louis is in the Mississippi River Plain, so it may have deeper depositions of silt and dirt.

Tree plantars sound like a good idea, but they are also a traffic hazard. Wait until the first fatal accident involving one of those! Most progressive cities are moving toward "soft" barriers or "buffer" zones along their streets, not immoveable hazards!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
When that Alderman said, "You'd have to ask a [botanist]". I couldn't help but think that HE should have originally asked a botanist that question before deciding this was a good idea. You would think if the Alderman really gave the project any thought and did his homework prior to installing the trees, he would know that answer...

...plus, is it really wise to put a curb and tree in a spot on the road that could easily be run into by a moving car? I realize it's along the side of the road, but if I were to park my car there in the dark, I think I might possibly not see that curb and impact it -- especially if the road is sow-covered. And speaking of snow-covered, wouldn't the blade of a snow plow possibly impact that curb?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I was born and raised in St. Louis...

Before this there where already trees literally everywhere....

I don't get this....

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That was exactly what I thought too.

With that "deer in the headlights" look that he had when that question was asked, it was obvious that he had not thought of that before.

I hope this guy never makes past the local level of government.

new topics

top topics

join