It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former congressman Charlie Wilson dead at 76

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Former congressman Charlie Wilson dead at 76

www.cnn.com

CNN) -- Former congressman Charlie Wilson of Texas died Wednesday at age 76, a Texas hospital said.

The 12-term Democratic congressman, who served Texas' 2nd Congressional district, was pronounced dead at 12:16 p.m. after suffering cardiopulmonary arrest in the emergency room of Memorial Health System of East Texas, the Lufkin hospital said in a news release.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/10/2010 by tothetenthpower]

[Mod Edit - title]

[edit on 10/2/2010 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
And another one bites the dust apparently.

Wow, Congressmen are dropping like flies these days huh?

Tom Hanks portrayed the flamboyant congressman in the 2007 movie "Charlie Wilson's War," which told the story of Wilson's push to provide weapons to the mujahedeen after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

I knew the name sounded familiar, but I never saw the movie.

What kind of Congressmen was he?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[Mod Edit - Fix Title]

[edit on 10/2/2010 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

What kind of Congressmen was he?

I'm sure he took up some good causes. BUT in the opening scene of the movie, he is in a hot tub with naked strippers and doing coc aine...I believe he was partying under the "Bush Doctrine"

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I realize tothetenthpower, both you and timewalker posted this.

I actually care that Charlie Wilson died.

Operation Cyclone was a pivotal point during the Cold War.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Operation Cyclone

Operation Cyclone was the code name for the United States Central Intelligence Agency program to arm the Afghan mujahideen during the Soviet war in Afghanistan, 1979 to 1989.

Operation Cyclone was one of the longest and most expensive covert CIA operations ever undertaken; funding began with $20–30 million per year in 1980 and rose to $630 million per year in 1987.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f75932d4680a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df5dc657613c.jpg[/atsimg]

Both of the books above document a lot of the information about Operation Cyclone.

To me that one operation, during the Cold War, was not only pivotal in our defeat of the Russian's, but was both directly and indirectly responsible because of the covert means of funding the entire operation through cut-outs and Soviet weapons to the Mujahideen, that is one of the primary reason why the attacks of September 11th happened.

While I did not necessarily agree with Charlie Wilson and the covert funding, because of the nature of the Afghanistan conflict, which is something still happening to this day, I have to say Wilson was an unsung hero of the Cold War.

Truth and Lies of 9/11 : Mike Ruppert, C.I.A. Drug Running, and Your Government

top topics

join