It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eastern U.S at Significant Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
After the quake in Illinois many of us are wondering whether or not that was just a fluke or are places like Chicago, and other cities at risk for a major earthquake? the USGS says YES! in this article the USGS explains

www.cnn.com...

A magnitude-3.8 earthquake struck northern Illinois early Wednesday, shaking homes and buildings and rattling plenty of nerves. Doug Dupont of Belvidere, Illinois, about 70 miles northwest of downtown Chicago, said it shook him out of bed and left a crack in his kitchen wall. "It was really scary. It felt like a train was going by our house," Dupont said. "This is not California. This is northern Illinois. We are not supposed to get earthquakes." The CNN Fact Check Desk wondered: Are earthquakes east of the Rocky Mountains unlikely, or was Tuesday's predawn quake in Illinois a wake-up call for Easterners? • The U.S. Geological Survey says earthquakes pose "a significant risk to 75 million Americans in 39 states." • Of the 26 U.S. urban areas deemed at risk for significant seismic activity, nearly one-third are east of the Rockies, including New York; Boston, Massachusetts; St. Louis, Missouri; Memphis, Chattanooga and Knoxville, Tennessee; and Charleston, South Carolina. • One of the most active eastern quake zones is the New Madrid seismic zone, winding southward from Illinois and Missouri down through west Tennessee and Arkansas. It unleashed a series of magnitude-8.0 quakes in 1811-12. Seismologists say we can expect one that big every 200 to 300 years. And quakes in the 6.0 range come every 80 years or so. The last one in the area was in 1895, 115 years ago. • Others worth noting: A magnitude-7.3 quake in Charleston in 1886 and a magnitude-5.8 quake in northern New York state in 1944. • Although earthquakes may be less frequent in the eastern U.S., the USGS says urban areas in the East could face bigger losses because the shaking would affect much larger areas than similar quakes in the West. In addition, most homes and buildings in the East are not designed to withstand earthquakes. Bottom Line: Much of the eastern U.S. is at risk, not only for smaller quakes but major ones as well. History books tell us they've happened before, and seismologists assure us more will come. In fact, USGS statistics indicate that many areas in the East are overdue for a significant seismic event.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
while i am not in any kind of Earthquake zone there was an earthquake here in Nebraska back in December, haven't seen one since, the USGS just might be over Analyzing things

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
they should have been telling us this all along. now that we're down, they spring that on us. i knew about the new madrid stuff, but not that we're ripe for another.!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I wonder if that's why most of the Eastern US 24 heliplot's for L.I.S.S. are down currently, seem's a bit unusual..... (seismographs)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Those 8.0+ in the early 1800's rang church bells in Boston and made the Mississippi flow backwards forming Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. Which oddly enough was one of the signs that Tecumseh's brother The Prophet said would happen and would be sign to gather for the war.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I felt that earthquake this morning around 4 am and I live in Northwest Indiana.

We have small earthquakes around this region every several years...but I can bet, huge earthquake will happen one day... and none of us will be prepare for it.

Intersting article on Eastern U.S. quakes and faults

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Rentor]

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Rentor]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Quakes are very serious stuff.
All the fault lines are significant in North America. The MTJ and the New Madrid could leave a new coast line a few states deep on both of our oceans if they went, or slipped, however it's called.

Nice find, OP. I think the debate over quakes here on the ATS in recent years has started to affect the MSM.
Here on ATS we have given the earthquake meme, so to speak, to the weathermen here. And they have turned it over and on it's head, and looked at it from every possible angle; in reverse even.
And now people are paying attention to it in the MSM.
They don't know they got their newly refurbished memes handed back to them after some fine conspiracy theorist minds went over them with a fine tooth comb

Flag

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
One of the worst earthquakes in recorded US history struck on the New Madrid fault in the early 1800s. This fault is right in the middle of the US. As a result, church bells rang in Boston and the Mississippi River ran backwards. When I lived in New Jersey, we had a series of small earthquakes on the Ramapo fault - the one that runs right under Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant. Now that's a warm fuzzy.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I dont know if there is anything scarier than being in an earthquake....you feel so helpless....Ive only been in a minor one somewhere around 5.0+ and you get that feeling in your stomach...not fun

top topics

join