It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Animals You May Never See Again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Im really big into animals, and big into the conservation of Endangered Species, and i know most people are aware of the crisis going on with the extinction of so many species every day, but i wanted to post this for those who weren't aware
enjoy

these are the 10 most ciritically Endangered Animals on the Planet,

#1 - Javan Rhinoceros (found in Indonesia and Vietnam)

Number remaining: fewer than 60
Perhaps the planet's rarest large mammal. Its horn is prized by poachers, and its forests are prized by developers. Both could spell doom for the species.

#2 - Vaquita (found in Gulf of California)

Number remaining: 200 to 300
One of the rarest cetaceans in the world, the Vaquita is endangered by both its limited range and the ease with which it gets caught in fishing nets.

#3 - Cross River Gorilla (found in Nigeria and Cameroon)

Number remaining: fewer than 300
Thought to be extinct in the 1980s, the species is holding on, for now. Hunted for bush meat and crowded out by development, it may not last long.

#4 - Sumatran Tiger (found Sumatra, in Indonesia)

Number remaining: fewer than 600
This small tiger has lived only in Sumatra for a million years, making it hard to escape human expansion. Most survivors dwell in reserves, but about 100 live beyond the borders of the protected areas.

#5 - Golden-Headed Langur (found in Vietnam)

Number remaining: fewer than 70
All but wiped out, this primate was placed under protection in 2000. It is still in grave danger, but in 2003 its numbers rose for the first time in decades.

#6 - Black-Footed Ferret (found in North American Great Plains)

Number remaining: about 1,000
The continent's only native ferret is one of its most endangered mammals. In 1986, there were only 18 individuals left, but the species is clawing back.

#7 - Borneo Pygmy Elephant (found in Sabah, Northern Borneo)

Number remaining: about 1,500
Shorter than the Asian elephant by about 20 in. (50 cm), the Borneo pygmy elephant is also more docile. Palm plantations have reduced its range, leaving it crowded for space.

#8 - Giant Panda (found in China, Burma, Vietnam)

Number remaining: fewer than 2,000
Loss and fragmentation of habitat are to blame for the panda's perilous state. Captive breeding and species protection are helping the panda hang on—barely.

#9 - Polar Bear (found in The circumpolar Arctic)

Number remaining: fewer than 25,000
Human development and poaching have long threatened the polar bear, but climate change and the loss of sea ice are now pushing it onto the critical list

#10 - Mekong Giant Catfish (found in Mekong region of Southeast Asia)

Number remaining: hundreds
Prized for its enormous size (the largest ever caught was 646 lb., or 293 kg), it is now protected in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, but fishing goes on.

if we continue to desecrate this world, and treat it as if nothing else but our needs matter, then we are sad indeed, conservation is key to keeping our world alive, i for one, want to be able to share with them the animals i love, not just in pictures and in old stories but for real

[edit on 2/10/2010 by BringMeTheHorizon]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
you maybe should have made it 11 and added humans because if it all kicks off this time i reckon we are definatley on the list.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
nah were good, we have at least 6 billion strong with rapid population growth, and if we go extinct......hate to say it...... then good, we would deserve it
humans are the only species smart enough to act on feelings, emotions, not just instinct, if we screw it up for ourselves that's our fault, we can fight back, animals, plants, they cant make rational decisions, they go by the instinct that nature gave them,

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thanks for that great post. I didn't even realize some of those animals existed....never had heard of the Vaquita. Well done.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Im sure we contribute in some species becoming extinct but for the vast majority it is completely natural. Species thrive and become extinct if they can't adapt. That's the way of things. Lovely pics though, i especially like gorillas. My favorite family member.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Im sure we contribute in some species becoming extinct but for the vast majority it is completely natural. Species thrive and become extinct if they can't adapt. That's the way of things. Lovely pics though, i especially like gorillas. My favorite family member.

Well the majority of these particular species are endangered because of human actions. That is anything but the natural way of things.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Nice post man! But it's such a shame that these animal's are in such small minority and that seeing them in the opening post will be the only time i will ever see them.

Thanks still!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
thanks RA, the reason i posted this is to waken people up, to MAKE them aware, even if people don't care i still got it in their mind, and now they are more educated, whether they care or not

link   
Add the brown bat to the list since over 95% of their population has died off in the past 3 years in the NE US from white nose syndrom

link   
99.9% of all species have become extinct anyways, a few more wont make a difference. Also, this just shows that these species are too weak to deserve to be here.
paleobiology.si.edu...
library.thinkquest.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Dammit, it makes me sad to see this animals go extinct because of us. Someday, Karma will kick on and then we´ll be screwed.

And, Incendia Vox, them species are not extinct because they´re weak, some of them could rip a human apart. The only thing that differences us is that we are smarter.

Great thread, S & F.

[edit on 10/2/10 by Bildeberg]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Incendia vox

how can you call them weak? when man has ruined their habitat, hunted them for fur, for fun? if we didnt have our brains we would be extinct, we could not stand up to one of these animals in the wild, its us who are weak, id like to see a human go face to face with a Tiger, Rhino, Polar bear, see who comes out on top.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Polar Bears are thriving!

www.ncpa.org...

Since the 1970s, while the world was warming, polar bear numbers increased dramatically from around 5,000 to as many as 25,000 today.

It's shameful that the Polar Bear has turned into an icon for the debunked theory of Global Warming. In less than 40 years their population has increased 5 fold.

Population increase! Yet we may never see them again? What kind of disinformation is going on here?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

its not disinformation, i found it on the the world wildlife foundation, id hardly say that 25,000 is thriving, by any means

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BringMeTheHorizon

how can you call them weak? when man has ruined their habitat, hunted them for fur, for fun? if we didnt have our brains we would be extinct, we could not stand up to one of these animals in the wild, its us who are weak, id like to see a human go face to face with a Tiger, Rhino, Polar bear, see who comes out on top.

They are weak for not standing up and killing us before we became a threat and not being able to withstand a few hunters.

if we didnt have our brains we would be extinct

We'd also not exist.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

They are weak for not standing up and killing us before we became a threat and not being able to withstand a few hunters.

seriously? hunters with spears,bows,arrows,guns,traps,poison
how is an animal supposed to defend itself against those

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

It doesn't mean they are weak, Alot of extinctions are happening because of a change of climate where the animal is no longer suited as it once was.

Nothing to do with being weak IMO just an unfortunate turn of event's.

Also we humans are here today because of our ability to adapt all over the world.

Without that ability there would be no human's with no computers with no forums discussing why we are here in the first place.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BringMeTheHorizon

Claws, teeth, powerful muscles, rocks (See: chimpanzee).

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BringMeTheHorizon
reply to post by Carseller4

its not disinformation, i found it on the the world wildlife foundation, id hardly say that 25,000 is thriving, by any means

From 5,000 in the 70's to 25,000 today. What other species has increased their numbers 5 times in the last 30-40 years?

That would be the ultimate definition of thriving.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incendia vox
reply to post by BringMeTheHorizon

Claws, teeth, powerful muscles, rocks (See: chimpanzee).

claws vs spears, teeth vs guns, powerful muscles vs crippling poison, and rocks? how are small rocks going to hurt a human? LOL

and Carseller4 that is wonderful news, im glad they are on the rise, they are still however considered near critical, which is very sad

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join