It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Lady Links Childhood Obesity to National Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I can understand the First Lady's interest in this in this problem. However, I find the following statement very odd.

“A recent study put the health care cost of obesity-related diseases at $147 billion a year,” Mrs. Obama said. “This epidemic also impacts the nation’s security, as obesity is now one of the most common disqualifiers for military service.”

cnsnews.com...

Nothing like prepping 10 year olds for military service while they are young. Or perhaps she is wanting kids to be in better shape for Obama's Civilian Defense Force. I'm not sure what to make of this clearly out of place comment.

Incidentally, these same disqualifiers can keep the same people out of police departments and fire departments. No mention of those.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Its a 2 way street .

Fatter cops will now be chasing fatter criminals.

Obesity is a problem for sure, turn off the kids computers and tell them that

shiny thing in the sky wont hurt them, it's the Sun.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What a shame Michelle Obama and her spouse are not expressing concern about the criminal Chemtrails and their toxic effect upon all life

Independent and laboratory analysis of the staggeringly toxic contents of Chemtrails are now easily accessible online, Youtube, etc

The effects upon the health not only of humans but also upon crops and animals eclipse by a magnitude of thousands the current trend of drawing attention to body weight

In fact, it's to be suspected that the media emphasis (obligingly supported by Michelle Obaba .... and who the hell was she four years ago?) on body weight is not only a means of distracting the public from the poisons falling on their kiddies' heads and skin, but that the 'weight issues' will be blamed for diabetes, muscle-wasting, arthritis-type conditions, heart attacks, respiratory and skin problems, etc. etc. which are attributable far more to Chemtrails than to any other cause

Michelle Obama: a few years ago, I had never heard of you, nor is there any reason I or anyone else WOULD have heard of you, were you not married to the creature currently known as the president of the United States. You have no particular skills or talents or knowledge that sets you apart from anyone else in the community APART from the fact you're married to the creature who is temporarily the US president. Therefore, I accord your opinions no greater respect or value than any of the other 6 billion individuals on this planet

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Reasonable consideration actually. Never considered the military impact of an obese nation.

Alternatively, one could also make the arguement that these men and women go to a different land where the nation is fit and decides to live there with the healthy people verses die fighting them for a bunch of fatasses whom can barely walk to the fridge to get more cake.

seriously folks...half hour a day cardio...get on it.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Removed for not making a quality post.
Should have used my filter.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
And seriously, folks

look up in the sky and see the 'weather modification' (posing under half a dozen 'scientific' excuses')

that is spewing toxins down all over those kids you're doing your best to 'raise healthily'

and all over the 'homegrown vegetables and fruit' you slave over

and all over the dams, reservoirs and rivers you eventually drink (Chemtrails in addition to chlorine and fluride, etc)

Not much point braying all over the place about 'lose weight' if your kids' entire systems are being poisoned with every breath they take

So how about you start pointing to the skies, Michelle Obama ?

How about you start educating the masses about the Chemtrails your husband's administration is using on the populace and forcing other governments to dump on their populations ?

How about you get REALLY relevant

and a LOT more honest about health issues ?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I think she's on the right track.Everyone knows at this point that Americans are getting fatter and dumber by the minute. Medical and Education studies have both proven this. I think the reason it sounds odd is that a politician actually said something that is the bone-hard truth.

And it's not like she wants all children to be prepped for military service, although it wouldn't be a bad idea because our enemies overseas are NOT getting fatter and dumber by the minute, I think she just thinks it would be a good idea to be physically fit for military service so everyone can do their part to help keep America safe.

Peace

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Wow, a chemtrail connection?

OP, keen observation. OF COURSE that is what her campaign is about. There was recently a news article claiming recruiters were having a tough time doing their jobs, because a lot of the potential recruits are obese!

I should have made the connection myself, but I was so angry the WHITE HOUSE sent me unsolicited spam, I overlooked the REAL conspiracy in the words of the spam itself.

Here's a link to my thread on it, explaining.

WHITE HOUSE SPAMMED ME!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Alternatively, they could feed kids lots of slimming aspartime products and t hen you'll have silm kids with a life expectancy of 15 years.

Guess, popping them in a casket which could be slim and cheap, by the time they reach 20 should ensure that there are less dangerous 20-something yar olds around.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am suprised that I am actually in agreement with the First Lady. I, like the poster above have never considered that before.

On the other hand, I have been a fat guy all my life. Even while in the service. While I couldn't do the runs as fast as most and was a little lacking on the other excercises as well. I was excellent at my job, and was able, without problems to fight any casualty that we ran into.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Give them PROOF of what you're saying.

Better still, Give US proof. Until then, I'm just going to assume it's jet exhaust and nothing else.

Peace

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So...,

Now we have a reason to strive for cookie-cutter citizens?

Everyone knows that obese people can't possibly contribute to society... they are now - by proclamation - a detriment to the state.... interesting...

Health is about more than weight, and unless I am completely wrong, the standards for 'obesity' are suspiciously subject to the perceptions of some people who want ALL humans to be cookie-cutter humans, so dosages can be 'standardized' as well as everything else about them.

I hate resisting the 'positive' spin of this. But I have to. It's not that I don't want to be healthy; but I think it's more important that I make myself healthy NOT that some policies, regulations, and government 'programs' make me healthy according to how THEY feel about it.

Of course, apologists will insist that they are scientists (rather than statisticians) and that their objective is to 'educate' (rather than indoctrinate) by "making resources and information available" (rather than having the tired Freudian Madison Avenue marketing machinery produce another Hollywood propaganda effort.)

Follow the money people. Follow the money.

Do you really think that this alleged $150 BILLION dollar project is about 'improving' the American health care landscape? I have difficulty accepting it at face value. Especially since this is the year of the WHO and the CODEX...

Just an opinion, laced with a bit of cynicism bred of disappointment in those career politicians and their masters' fixation with 'control.'

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is just silly.

There's plenty of people joining the military and many people join the military and they are overweight. They lose weight in the military.

When I first joined the Military in 92, I was well over 200 pounds. When I finished AIT I was close to 180 pounds and fit as a fiddle.

This is not a national security concern, this is just another exuse for the government to try to manage your life and tell you what to do.

In a free society, there's going to be fat people. People overcome these things and you don't need the government micro managing people's weight because of national security.

This will also be orked out by science with more cures to stop diseases and they will eventually be able to make rice cakes taste like a double cheeseburger.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Although I am disgusted by the amount of morbidly obese people I see more and more, shouldnt we be more concerned with short term goals like economic recovery and job growth?

If people keep losing their jobs and their homes we wont have to worry about obesity since people will barely be able to afford to feed their families.

What is she proposing? Taking away more of our liberties? The freedom to choose not to exercise and to eat what we want? Why doesnt the government just take over the fast food industry and all the 7-11's and force us to eat their federally approved BS.

My company has a contract with Raytheon, a aerospace industry funded by TPTB. I always see their over weight employees jogging around the premises, or working out in the company gym. I found out that in order to save money on their health insurance, Raytheon gave over weight employees an incentive of a pay raise for every 20 lbs they lost. Win win situation. Maybe the government should give tax incentives to people who lose weight, they would save in the long run on health care costs

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Michelle wants to regulate what types of foods are being sold in convenience stores. Well, if you are getting 3 squares a day from a convenience store you've got problems anyway and its none of Michelle's business.

As far as our nation's chubby kids. Get them outside and signed up in a youth soccer league this Spring. When I was kid, I could eat a whole box of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls in one sitting and not gain an ounce.

I say just stock up on milk and Special K.

A national security issue Michelle? By the time these kids grow up they will be sitting in powered recliners, drinking their meals from mug while they control the robots that will be fighting our wars.

She wants fit kids for Obama's personal army.

On a side note, I just heard that the National Guard has been deployed in D.C. Watch very carefully here folks this area has been crippled.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
My take: how about offering an incentive or ANYTHING positive to those of us who DO work hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle which does include weight-management?

My insurance company no longer offers any "preventive" testing co-pays(used to partial-pay for mamogram/pap,etc once a year as preventatives) nor do they cover part of a gym membership anymore...perhaps she should be looking into "lobbying" the insurance companies and create some incentives for the healthy aka those who don't need to use their "boy you damn well better HAVE it medical coverage" rather than spew about some useless program that MOST will NOT bother to particiate in unless there is something "in it" for them financially?

How about just ONCE they start rewarding "good behavior" and not continue the relentless-cycle of rewarding those who choose not to be responsible for their actions?

Seriously:those who default,don't take care of themselves,and those who chose to do drugs,abuse alcohol and/or food,and those who is general would rather NOT be held responsible are the very people this entire mucked-up system is concerned about!

The rest of us who DO give a chit and who DO try and keep it all together are just expected to push our carts past alllllllll those obese in scooters at Walmart and think "Oh...that POOR lady" (as she eats from an open bag of Oreos going down the aisle,true story!) Yep...I'm fed up,can you tell???

I have chronic asthma which I manage to absolutely keep under control NOT by drugs and whining but by a strict diet and exercise...yes,people CAN choose not to eat well and/or respect their bodies and minds,it's their "right" but I'm weary of paying for it for them while I try to keep it together.
I don't feel it's my "job" to do so anymore.

Compromising security??? Lady,YOU do more to compromise security with your triteness than just about anyone these days,IMO.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Does anyone remember this?

www.presidentschallenge.org...

And this?

www.fitness.gov...

Now look at Michelle's busy work
www.letsmove.gov..../
See any similarities with the previous two programs?? I do!!

Do we need more special programs for fitness and well being from our ever swelling government?

Promote the programs that already exist by breathing new life into them. Launch a new campaign. No need to spend more money on redundant programs.

Ooops! That is what our govt. does best.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by jibeho]

join