It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 - Part Two - Convergence. (Merge BTS & ATS?)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

To be honest I hardly know what BTS is, and ive been here a while. What sort of effect would this have on someone like me that spends most of their time on ATS?

Does it mean more threads on the recently posted, or does that already draw from bts?

From what you have suggested, it would just be more boards? Seems alright to me, but then again I am very unfamiliar with bts, maybe I will check it out now...

edit: oh I see now, well I think it would be kinda cool, and probably easier to manage that way. also maybe it will even out the serious folks at ats, while giving a little bit of seriousness to the jokesters as well... I vote go for it if it makes sense for the owners/mods

[edit on 10-2-2010 by beebs]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It seems the NO's have it.

In the beginning I did not like having to log in to two sites. Now it is nothing big. Just an extra 8 seconds. Copy and paste. No big deal.

edit to add-was that too early to call the vote? I thought I would pull a re-enactment of the 1913 vote on the Federal Reserve.

[edit on 2/10/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Why did ATS and BTS diverge in the first place? I mean, I can understand the mystique of an upper room and a lower room, but there's no real practical reason, as far as I can see, for keeping them separate.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Mmm, this is a tricky one ... and it's difficult to have a relevant opinion without knowledge of the new layout. For example, if the "recent posts" page retains the same format, many folks will complain at the presence of non conspiratorial/alternative content, furthermore others will complain that BTS type threads might get lost in the shuffle as they quickly drop out of the page.

So, for what it is worth, I am not sure about how I feel about merging the two boards ... should the current "recent posts" page format stay the same, and especially if it still includes no more than the last 100 active threads, I would lean (slightly) towards keeping the two boards separate. If the layout is drastically different, I must defer to staff wisdom as there simply isn't enough information to proffer a useful opinion on my part.

All that being said, thank you once more for always trying to improve the ATS user experience and for soliciting member opinion.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
When you merge an ABOVE with a BELOW you end up at a neutral zero ground level.

Does this mean the site name will be changed to TOPSECRET.COM?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I find it a problem as I recently changed my password to something easier to remember and tossed the one I was issued. Guess what? I need that one to log into my pictures, BTS, anything aside from the ATS board. Why did changing my password only work for one login? Well it kind of screwed me because guess what "forgot your password" returns now? That is my two cents.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
i don't even go BTC as no privilege, when my threads moved there, means rubbish bin

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
My suggestions:

*Merge the log-in mechanism only, if possible. Not both boards . . . just the log-in.

*Make a profile option that lets you choose to see BTS posts on the "recent posts" tab or not. Options are always good.

*give BTS the star/flag system.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I vote NO... it’s not that difficult to log in... Some people just like to moan.

I go to BTS when i need to unwind a little bit... just talk about "normal" stuff...

But i would not like it if i had to go through hundreds of "How to make the perfect bolognaise sauce" and "What is your favourite song" threads when trying to find serious issues!

Hmm... Actually am i just being stupid?? Would it not just mean a new section to the Boards titled "Below top secret"??

And wouldn’t this mean that the serious conspiracy threads wouldn’t be invaded with normal day to day stuff...

Oh... but what about the recent posts section?? Would that have all the BTS threads showing up in it??

Oh man... I’ve had two hours sleep, thanks to my 17 month old Son, my head hurts and i think I’m talking rubbish.

I change my vote, from a NO, to a puzzled look and a shrug!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I like them seperate, but HATE having to log in to both. Sometimes I might see something to comment on in BTS, but don't because I don't feel like logging in.

Merge the log in only? Is that possible?

link   
reply to post by Lillydale

Lilydale, you do not have a notepad of all your passwords?

I have always done that. With the hundreds of different passwords I have, it just seemed the logical way to go. I also use notepad to store my bookmarks that do not fit on my bookmark bar.

Using the same passwords for numerous sites or emails, you run the risk of all your info being hacked or infiltrated if you use a single password.

If you worry about the notepad you can get an encryption program to just encrypt your notepad info.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

link   
I vote no.... However, like someone else said, I wouldn't mind having the star rating system on bts.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Why did ATS and BTS diverge in the first place?

A long time ago on a website (seemingly) far-far away... the Chit Chat forum was on ATS and some off-topic discussions were overwhelming the relatively small size we were at the time.

Initially, the split was very-well received, and about 40% of our traffic was dedicated to BTS.

Over time, traffic has faltered. And while overall monthly users are about the same from late 2008 until now, pages-viewed per visit are declining to the point where BTS is less than 8% of the traffic of ATS.

If this happens, there would likely be some additional refinements to accommodate the convergence...

1) still no flags on BTS (off-topic) threads

2) stars would likely be introduced

3) more-integrated management of your favorite forums as displayed on the recent posts page, so it would be easy to opt-out of seeing threads from off-topic forums.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
If you can't remember your password long enough to log into BTS then maybe the gene pool needs some chlorine. I vote no.

those who go to BTS seem to be very comfortable there.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by network dude]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Explanation: I Vote NO.

Personal Disclosure: A few reasons are as follows....

1] It would result in my threads hooning down the recent threads page so fast.....
:shk: I've seen them pushed down and this will just exacerbate that.

2] BTS comes with Mutter and as Mutter canes my system already as it is [still a beta and no chronicals I note
] I'd consider any merge a major epic fail and indeed it would drive me to watch ads elsewhere online.

3] Those complaining about logging into BTS seperately IMO are just lazy
and should be treated with the same contempt i.e a very lazy actual response to their pathetic pleading!

ATS/BTS isn't broken so please don't try and fix it. It the stupid lazy users here who need to get a freaking grip!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I vote yes! Merge them! Nothing kills a good thread quicker than being thrown out of ATS into BTS. It's like throwing it into the dungeon. And it isn't consistent, either. Some threads that are very similar to ones in BTS stay in ATS. It makes no sense at all to me to have both.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

that seems like an excellent idea, as far as one posters idea for a single log in for both but on separate boards, that is a genius idea, and yes for stars as well

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I still don't like it, yes while BTS only has 8% of the traffic, it has a nice core group that have bonded in quite the unique way. I fear that much of that comrodery would be lost on ATS.

I have always maintained that some of the ATS boards could be moved to BTS as they are more BTS material. That may increase BTS board usage, and let us keep the sanctuary that we have established there.

Forums like, ATS Video Channel, Member Podcasting, New Member Introductions, ATS Games, Collaborative Writing, & Member Short Stories. are all perfect BTS fodder. I believe that moving those forums to BTS will boost BTS participation and it would make for better BTS usage.

But please, don't destroy a good thing.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
My suggestions:

*Merge the log-in mechanism only, if possible. Not both boards . . . just the log-in.

*Make a profile option that lets you choose to see BTS posts on the "recent posts" tab or not. Options are always good.

*give BTS the star/flag system.

Have to agree with the above, it's a pain in the arse if a topic being discussed is shifted to BTS ,so one has to log in again and run the gauntlet of a quick credits score or how John made a million dollars off a fat woman with shiny teeth miracle diet.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
SO,
If you do have to merge them is it possible to leave the stars out of BTS.
Stars are part of the badge we get to wear for a good post in ATS.
I would hate someones contribution level to go up because they made a thread about eating chocolate and was rewarded 10 stars for their effort.
It is a contribution but is a post about eating chocolate really much of a contribution that should be rewarded??
Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join