It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranormal State Captures Image of Jersey Devil

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I hate to put a wet blanket on all this but this is so clearly a duck...just look at the head...duck.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Thanks much for posting this video; it's interesting at the very least.

I'm a tad suspicious though, because the videographers obviously had more footage than they are showing -- in the video, they spent more time with the camera on THEM, than they did on the creature.

What they show us, is the brief period of video that appears consistent with their hypothesis. What followed? Did the creature then walk away, giving clues to its real nature? I doubt that it just blinked out of view. For those reasons, I'm skeptical of the analysis of the videographers of this bit of video.

Good find, though. Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

WEll duhh. Do you get your jollies making sense out of other people's over reactive imaginations or something? Jeez just leave the OP alone.

Thanks for posting this logical interpretation of this picture, keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I grew up in southern NJ and am quite familiar with the Pine Barrens and the legend of the Jersery Devil. Unless there is a breeding population of this creature (and there are no caves in the pine barrens that I am aware of by the way, the ground is sand) I would say you are looking at a duck, maybe a Hooded Merganser which is found year round in the area.

Hooded Merganser

I found this picture, good enough match for me.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
I hate to put a wet blanket on all this but this is so clearly a duck...just look at the head...duck.

Agreed. Very likley that its a duck. People actually think that there is a creature THAT rediculous looking flying around NJ eating dogs?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I like Paranormal States but as with all of these programs, you never know what you're going to get so I usually record them.

Most eyewitnesses of the Jersey Devil all describe the bat like wings. In fact, in the opening of this program, a recent eyewitness witnessed the Jersey Devil, in broad daylight from his car one morning and stated how he could see the sunlight illuminating blood vessels in the wings as it landed in a tree.

If it has blood vessels then it is a living mammal and not an apparition.

interesting artifact in that
It was captured with a FLIR or infrared camera which captures heat signatures. This eliminates photographic effects of light defects etc. characteristic of standard cameras.

As far as the bird hypothesis, besides owls, birds aren't nocturnal.

Whatever this was was on the ground, a nocturnal hunter, listening, albeit at a approximately a quarter of a mile away to the investigators.

Thats why the image isn't clearer, they spotted a small IR dot in the camera's viewfinder and zoomed in on it.

What was also intriguing about the entire episode was the way in which it simply took off or vanished !

It was there for a moment and then in the blink of an eye it was gone ! No hop into the air and the flapping of wings to take off as a bird does, it was just gone !

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I've seen some creepy ducks just standing in the darkness of peoples front yards before, and i'm in Texas.

"We can't stop here, this is bat country!" -F&L n LA

[edit on 10-2-2010 by thaknobodi]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesPeak
Wow. That's awfully strange looking. Couldn't they have zoomed in more or gotten closer though?

No, because than the hoax could easily be identified.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

Im glad Im not the only one who saw this and thought it needed to be discussed here, even better that its one of my ATS friends.

I have family who lives in that area, and Ive heard their stories of the Devil since I was a little boy. I was always fascinated that it seems every part of the world has some sort of famous cryptozoological creature. Coincidence? Or do we need to take a step back and re-evaluate how much we really know about the world around us.

Do you think its a supernatural entity? Or just something living that's rare and undiscovered?

True! I live in Ohio, and right next door in W.Va. we have this creature. A death list has been prepared supposedly murdered by this creature. Mothman Death Listan industry has been built around this being, they have Mothman tours, tee shirts and statues, and other stuff.
Clendenin, West Virginia

I wonder if these creatures are a by product of nuclear testing?

The world’s first nuclear detonation was the Trinity test, conducted on July 16, 1945 in the Jornada del Muerto area of the central New Mexico desert at the Alamogordo Bombing Range (today the White Sands Missile Range).

snip

In July of 1945, Trinity’s plutonium core implosion device was detonated from a one-hundred foot tower that rose from the desert floor. Trinity’s yield was approximately 21 kilotons—one kiloton is equal to the explosive force of 1000 metric tons of TNT. The explosion created a fire ball 2,000 feet in diameter that lit up the sky for many miles and produced a tremendous mushroom cloud. The extremely high temperatures caused the surface sand of the crater to fuse, transforming it into a green, glassy layer dubbed Trinitite. Many Manhattan Project workers collected pieces of the jade-like material as mementos.

onlinenevada.org...:_nuclear_testing_before_nevada

Between 16 July 1945 and 23 September 1992 the United States of America conducted (by official count) 1054 nuclear tests, and two nuclear attacks. The number of actual nuclear devices (aka "bombs") tested, and nuclear explosions is larger than this, but harder to establish precisely. Some devices that were tested failed to produce any noticeable explosion (some by design, some not), other "tests" (by official definition) were actually multiple device detonations. It is not clear whether all multiple device tests have yet been identified, and enumerated.

These pages focus principally (although not exclusively) on the period from 16 July 1945 to 4 November 1962, the era of atmospheric testing*. There are a number of reasons for this. These early years marked the height of the Cold War, when the U.S. nuclear weapons establishment came into being, when the major breakthroughs in weapon design occurred, and when the most severe effects of nuclear testing were felt around the world. During this period test series were grand operations, involving huge numbers of people, and each often with a set of clear objectives. The era of atmospheric testing is also the period for which the most information is available. When tests were exploded in the open, everyone could collect data on what was being tested. When the tests went underground, testing became routine, and information about what was being tested went underground too. And of course, we can't have a gallery without pictures- and atmospheric tests are the only ones for which pictures exist.

* There were actually a few surface tests included in the official test count conducted after 4 November 1962. These were a series of zero yield tests of plutonium dispersal conducted in 1963, known as Operation Roller Coaster.

Nuclear Testing and Health

Ever since nuclear testing began it has been very difficult to get a useful accounting of human exposures to the fallout from these tests. Partly this was motivated by military secrecy, partly by a desire to allay public fears (i.e public relations reasons), and partly by a fear of possible legal action by actual of potential victims. Some exposure related incidents have been revealed due to the impossibility of hiding them: namely the high radiation exposures of the Marshallese and the Japanese aboard the Fifth Lucky Dragon after the Castle Bravo disaster. But most information on this subject has been withheld, deliberated buried in obscure reports, or never collected (this is the principle of being careful not to learn what you don't want to know). This information has slowly come to light in bits and pieces over the last 20 years.

What is probably the most important study of the health effects of testing were announced by the National Cancer Institute in August of 1997, and released in October. The study report is now available on line: National Cancer Institute Study Estimating Thyroid Doses of I-131 Received by Americans From Nevada Atmospheric Nuclear Bomb Test.

The basic finding of the report is that internal exposures to radioiodine (I-131) in fallout from continental nucelar testing was the most serious health consequence. Radioiodine concentrates in milk when consumed by cows when grazing, and then concentrates in human thyroid glands when contaminated milk is ingested. This concentration effect is especially strong in children. The NCI study estimates that the average American alive at the time received a thyroid radiation exposure of 2 rads, with some people receiving up to 300 rads. The effect of these exposures is to boost the chance of contracting thyroid cancer some time during a lifetime. This cancer is normally not very rare, and is highly treatable (as cancers go). It is possible to estimate the overall effect of the total radiation exposure of the American population. From the 380 million person-rads of total exposure roughly 120,000 extra cases of thyroid cancer can be expected to develop, resulting in some 6,000 deaths [See note]. For comparison, the worst industrial disaster in history (Bhopal, India; 3 December 1984) killed about 3000 people and injured 150,000.

No effort was made to systematically study the nationwide effects of atmospheric nuclear testing until congress ordered the study -- which was finally released 15 years later. In hearing held in September 1998, Bruce Wachholz, chief of the radiation effects branch of the National Cancer Institute, told a Senate hearing that the basic results were known as early as 1989 and a final draft report was completed in 1992 yet none of the information was made public for five more years.

nuclearweaponarchive.org...

The Nevada Test Site
en.wikipedia.org...

Everyone remember the Chernobyl meltdown? Check this:
www.martinfrost.ws...

Semipalatinsk nuclear weapons tests increased genetic mutations
www.stuk.fi...

Radiation from atom bomb testing caused mutations in 'junk DNA'
www.cbc.ca...

Intelligent reason and logic dictate that nuclear testing may have cause human/animal mutations. Perhaps these creatures are real, and that they are mutated beings. Will the animal rights people try to save them as a protected species? Will it be a crime to kill one?

And further, isn't it simple reason that radiation is the main cause of cancer in humans? I am of this thought for some time, TPTB have tried to make us think everything else causes cancer, while hiding the real cause.
What do you think, ATS?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Is there a way to estimate its size...to me it looks like a duck or goose taking off...I think that size would be the indicator of what it may be.

And I've heard so much about the paranormal shows faking stuff that it would be hard to accept any proof from them now

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

As far as the bird hypothesis, besides owls, birds aren't nocturnal.
reply to post by nh_ee

More then Owls are nocturnal as far as birds are concerned. Whip or wills for one (which are found throughout the Southern New Jersey area) and all manner of birds will fly at night, especially if startled or migrating.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
How well distracted you must be from the economy completely nosediving, the threat of all of us being incinerated by atomic bombs, civil insurrection and the downright unpleasantness, that can and this is the kicker... be proven

But I'm glad for you, I really am you saw a television show, you must be an expert

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I always default to firmly believing these are natural, yet "undiscovered" (by main stream science), not super natural in nature. Anything of solid form is by definition natural. Unfortunately, modern main stream science is chickensh*t when it comes to cryptids, unlike the great scientists of the Rennaisance and Romantic periods. This is in spite of all the overwhelming hisdtorical and current anecdotal and sometimes even physical evidence of such creatures like Sasquatch. Even reputable and famous explorers from colonial years have noted these animals in their diaries). If it does not walk down the street in downtown Mahattan in the light of day and leave its carcass unmolested in gutter on Wall Street, it does not exist it seems.

Sure, science is happy to get wierd and occasionaly courageous with physics, but go bigger than particles into large, complex multi-cellular biology and science turns its back in fear of being labeled silly at best or risk grants, etc. The same goes for archeology (will somebody in official please answer the question of who and what and how the heck quarried and laid the Baleek stones in what is now modern Lebanon?)...

Had crytozoology one one ten thousandth the science budget of studies like the CERN project, we'd long ago had final, irrefutable evidence of many of these shy, nocturnal and clever animals. But brave people like Jeff Meldrum are doggedly blazing a trail and the preponderance of new technology (helicopter-mounted thermal FLIR systems) and thousands of trail cameras WILL eventually make the discovery conventional science is too coward to make.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Let me finish that thought... you saw this on TELEVISION, television is the strongest propaganda force known to human kind, I couldn't name one syndicated tell-lie-vision station that wasn't owned by the Rockefellers, the Rothschilds, the Murdocks, and the unsavory likes of they.

I want tho ask a serious question here....

who here has read at least some of what they know of conspiracy theory or fact from a "book" ?

Let's lower the chances a bit...

who here has information accumulated from PH.D physicists and or any one with credentials in what there talking about?

The Jersey Devil, are you serious? to see the Jersey Devil in that I would have to do things that I couldn't mention on this forum.

I would like to provide some advice because I do love everyone here.

turn off the television, repair your brain, spend more quiet time and just a little more time doing credible research on how badly your getting screwed.

Regards, quantumspiral1919

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37

I agree. It looks like a duck, a goose, a swan, or some similar feathered creature. The infrared image shows nothing more than a warm blooded bird.

Why would a reptilian creature emit that kind of heat at night? Aren't reptiles cold blooded?

Why is the image of such poor quality. Other night vision images I've seen have been higher quality with much better detail than that.

At best, it's just a duck shaped white blob and, yes, you can imagine it to be anything you want to believe. Paranormal State has given everyone a fantasy boost by labeling it the Jersey Devil rather than what it is, "the white blob" or "Donald Duck", or "Elvis reincarnated as Donald Duck".

[edit on 2/10/2010 by dubiousone]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I usually don't watch that ridiculous show, but the Jersey Debba is one of my favorite crypto\paranormal varmints, so I watched the whole thing.
I thought it strange that they didn't even discuss the 2 crystal clear audio recordings of the creature.
The first clip was the most hideous growling ever recorded.
The second sounded like a demonic horse whinnying or neighing.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Somehow that Jersey Devil looks suspiciously like a Rooster crowing in the middle of the forrest. I could be wrong though.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Anyone who's ever hunted deer knows exactly what the creature is in the video. I was laughing my ass off watching the "experts" give their opinions. The UFO hunter guy said that the creature should have bolted right away but it didn't, so he concluded that it wasn't a deer. That guy is a moron. When startled, a deer will raise it's head and freeze, trying to determine where the sound came from to know where to run away from it.

The last part of the video shows the animal turning and running away. The way the animal moved was a dead give away. It's so obvious that it's a deer in the video. Honestly, I couldn't stop laughing at those fools.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
One thing I find quite amusing about these "paranormal investigators" is they ALWAYS get some paranormal activity. Most of it to me just sounds like cats roaming around in the attic. As for the light shows, a thermal camera and a maglite can be used.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

i may be chirping in prematurely without reading other comments, but that looks

like a duck or chicken, and its on a farm.

I would have expected a mothman like figure instead.

Still, i do like that show.

[edit on 2/10/2010 by drphilxr]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join