It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Accurate Answer Requested

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
THis is a rather basic post free of aliens,ghosts,UFO's, organ theft,ect, but since I was a teenager I have noticed(not very hard) that the name Jesus Christ is not respected in the majority of Hollywood movies I have watched, indeed also in many TV shows.

I would estimate that I have heard the phrase Jesus [SNIP] Christ at least one thousand times in the last twenty years of being a movie watcher, add the numerous other variations such as CHRIST in the same sentence as # for example and I conservatively could calculate a ten thousand fold utterance of Christ being cursed since I have watched movies and TV shows.
With my hand on my heart I can estimate the occurences of disrespect against other religions to be less than fifty in the decades described.
Why is this , I honestly want to be informed, I see the names of the producers of the majority of the movies and TV shows and I ask myself they appear not to be traditional Christian surnames, so does this mean only Christians can be religiously vilified by other religious faiths?

If so where is the law in the American Constituition that allows this?

We are all for religious respect, but surely it should apply to Jesus Christ, the source of hope for Billions across the globe ?

If not could someone cite the law that permits vilification against a Christian Deity, but that suggests vilification against Islam, Judaism ect is prohibited?

I cannot fathom the country that allows its own Beliefs to be insulted so often in the media, yet protects others beliefs by the letter of the law.
If Iam christian and Jesus Christ is used as a profanity in most movies emnating from the USA , but no other religions sacred figures are vilified , what conclusion should one make?
I only request logical answers not hate or ignorance.

Profanity removed.

Terms And Conditions Of Use

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

[edit on 10/2/10 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
TV and Movies......there will ALWAYS be something "offensive" to one person or another.

There is not any way at all to make something non-offensive to all parties.

I think you are overreacting a bit and need to put yourself in the shoes of a devout Muslim watching Team America.

There are a lot more "offensive" things going on in Film than a simple swear word.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Well, we have freedom of speech, so it is not against the law to say anything no matter how disrespectful or not.

we use Jesus Christ as a swear.... BECAUSE he is our deity, and we can relate to the comment.

we dont say holy freagin mohhamed, ... because mohamed means nothing to us, ... see, i can't even spell his name right.

in other country's it is against their religious law to do this, .... so they dont. and other country's are affraid to mock their diety's in fear of a terrorist attack.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Why is this
It could possibly be because when the words "Jesus Christ" are spoken...it's nothing but a bit of vibrating air which our brains interpret to mean something...if you think words hold spiritual value you are consumed by materialism and sadly mistaken my friend...

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
TV and Movies......there will ALWAYS be something "offensive" to one person or another.

There is not any way at all to make something non-offensive to all parties.

I think you are overreacting a bit and need to put yourself in the shoes of a devout Muslim watching Team America.

There are a lot more "offensive" things going on in Film than a simple swear word.

It is not a simple swear word, when I turned six I used to think Jesus Christ was a very bad man, because the American Movies and TV shows had programmed me to think so, it was only when I went to Sunday school that the teacher corrected my beliefs.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

It could possibly be because when the words "Jesus Christ" are spoken...it's nothing but a bit of vibrating air which our brains interpret to mean something...if you think words hold spiritual value you are consumed by materialism and sadly mistaken my friend...

Totally consumed by materialism? What?
No power in the spoken word huh. You really don't even have the slightest
clue. Nothing spiritual ever happens at all.Jesus Christ is the most powerful
name in the universe Pal. The name alone has saved countless people from
addictions desease even the brink of death. No other name any where
has the power to change peoples lives for the better. Not Mohammed, not Budah, not Mitrayeh
or Harry Krishna.
Jessus Christ is the only one with power to change the human condition.

I'm afraid you are making a big mistake.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

If so where is the law in the American Constituition that allows this?

Speaking very generally, law is not about allowing things. It's about associating punishments to actions. For example, there is no law that states you are "allowed" to hop on one foot. But you could, hypothetically, have a law that made a crime of hopping on one foot, and associated a fine or jail time with that crime.

As for the Constitution, it's not even about crime and punishent. It's mostly a description of the branches of government and their manner of function. I suspect what you're really asking after is the Bill of Rights, which does enumerate a number of "assurances," but even here there isn't really much in the way of stating that anything is "allowed." The Bill of Rights lists things that it claims will not happen. Not things that "can" happen.

If not could someone cite the law that permits vilification against a Christian Deity,

Again...that's not how law works.

but that suggests vilification against Islam, Judaism ect is prohibited?

The relatively recent hate crime laws contain provisions regarding perpetrators who target based on (amongst other things) religion. But for that to matter you would need to demonstrate that the perpetrator was committing a crime.

the phrase Jesus #ing Christ

I recommend you do not pursue the criminalization of such statements as hate crimes. The logic used to do so would be the same logic that could be used against christians quoting the bible in regards to homosexuals. It would be dangerous ground for you to tread.

You could very well end up Judged in the manner that you judge.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

No other name any where
has the power to change people lives for the better. Not Mohammed, not Budah, not Mitrayeh
or Harry Krishna.
Jessus Christ is the only one with power to change the human condition.
Mmmmhhmmm...ok...so every other religion has it wrong and you have it right?!? I'm really lost for words right now...absolutely stunned...you might want to go searching for that key which opens your mind...because apparently you've thrown it away...

Jesus Christ is the most powerful
name in the universe Pal.
... ... ... *yells Jesus Christ*...just wait for it...the power of that name shall strike you down shortly...or...do something...I'm sure something will happen shortly...

The name alone was saved countless people from
addictions desease even the brink of death. No other name any where
has the power to change people lives for the better.
Heh...and no other name has caused so much destruction, suffering and death...I guess that's power...you're right...no other name has so much power...

[edit on 10/2/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I suppose some folks might pursue the idea that the idea of insulting Christianity and Jesus Fu(&ing Christ as proof that these are the end times and Christ's followers will be persecuted.

I don't know a lot about various religions, but it seems to me that Christians could be easily picked on, because, well, gee, turn the other cheek sort of idea.

Gawd help me and the gallery owner, though, if I and the gallery owner would exhibit the "horrible and blasphemous" paintings I have painted. You know, ones that actually express my idea of what a human, named Mohammed, might actually look like. Yikes!!!

Really, it's quite easy to make fun of Christians in the U.S. Why do you think Hollywood does this? Because nobody really gives a damn about it all.

You know what I will do? I will take a copy of a Muhammed cartoon, place it in a jar and pee in it. Put it in my front yard and put up a big sign and call it "Piss Mohammed". lol. I'm sure a big, popular art museum in NYC will rush to me and put my art on display. NOT. lol lol

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

it's quite easy to make fun of Christians in the U.S.
Why do you think Hollywood does this?

I think hollywood makes fun of jews far more frequently than christians. Reason being, of course, an awful lot of hollywood producers and actors are jewish, and self-deprecating humor has always been part of their culture.

As for expressions like "god damn it" and "Jesus Christ," both are common expressions outside of their directly religious connotations. Similarly, the expression "that sucks" is actually a sexual innuendo, but people don't generally intend it in that context. I can see how christians might be uncomfortable hearing "Jesus Christ" adopted by non-christians as an epithet...which they do, but I can also see how pagans might be uncomfortable seeing christians adopt pagan holidays and smear Jesus all over them...which they also do. I don't foresee either of those things changing, but the day you criminalize the use of the name Jesus as an epithet you're going to have millions of pagans trying to criminalize your referring to the winter solstice as "Christ"-mas.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

You have a good point there. Hollywood and entertainers do make fun of Jews. And as I recall, they do make self-deprecating spelling anyone? lol, comments about themselves and their folks in their humor.

Edited to add, yeah, I don't see many Christians making humor about themselves. lol. What? No sense of humor? WTF is that all about? lol

[edit on 10-2-2010 by kyred]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
When truth is asked for expect lies ,half truths , wrong sign posts, just to name a few , and then ask who constructed the obsatacles to the truth....dont know? I can only say thats the answer they hoped for.

In the end (outside the truth, )...the biggest bigots always win.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
..... Generally speaking .... people hate God .
Abusing his son makes perfect sense to them .
God created good , and evil .
God gave man a free will . That inevitably
leads people to reject God and blame him for
their wrong choices/dilemnas. Junkies are the
worst offenders . Hollywood runs a close second.
Jesus is alive right now on this forsaken rock,
and has been propping up the world economy
for the last forty years. When He couldn't take the
abuse anymore from the masquerade crew, he
cut them off . They deserved it . Godless , ungrateful
rabble rebellion . Now , the world economy is
sinking fast . No surprises there.
A week after He told Hollywood to take a running
jump , [1991]they had Mohammed Ali threaten His life!
Stupid insults and threats continue daily , and
soon everyone WILL be on their knees , begging
for forgiveness ...... good luck with that..... !
...... there's only 144,000 to be recognised .

[edit on 10-2-2010 by radarloveguy]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

Hi,
I'm very much lost on what you are saying there RLG.

In your context, would you please tell me who Jesus is now. This would help me to understand your post.

Excellent post mate, clearly written and very concise. Thank you.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Tayesin]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

if your an athiest why are you even bothering with this you do not believe but sho your ignorance by having a go at other beliefs see me my self think that athiest are the most closed mided and ignorant people well not all just the ones like you and this crap that jesus holly name caused wars and death is totaly wrong i think you will find that it was corupt and twisted men using his name for there own advantage and twisting religion for there own gain all that jesus spoke off was peace and love and if every one followed his teachings the world would not be in the state it is now

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Its because a long time ago in america they would kill people who were differnt than them. So alot of our culture centers around the after effects of genocide. They won..... because they killed the most people.

Do you get it?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
A better question is, why don't people use the name of the Holy Spirit in their swears but people will use God and Jesus. Maybe it has something to do with this? Matthew 12.31:

Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

you're going to have millions of pagans trying to criminalize your referring to the winter solstice as "Christ"-mas.

Considering that the winter solstice occurs before Christmas does, I don't see how they could get upset for the "winter solstice" being called Christmas or how their argument would hold water. They can still call their day what they want to, right? No one makes them call it Christmas?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I don't see many Christians making humor about themselves. lol. What? No sense of humor? WTF is that all about? lol

Christians make fun of themselves a lot. If by "making fun of themselves" you mean "making fun of what they believe", you're going to be waiting a while. A really long while.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

There is no such thing as a Christian surname. A last name cannot adhere to a spiritual faith.

There are no laws in the Constitution, least I don't think they are called laws, there are rights, amendments and articles though. It would be easily protected under the first amendment to free speech. Even some Christians use Jesus' name like that so there's no way to outlaw it, it isn't meant as hate speech.

They don't need to make a law for disrespecting Christ. I mean first off Christ wasn't even his name, it was a title meaning Anointed One. And Jesus wasn't his name, far as we can tell it was Yeshua and even that they aren't sure of because there is so little reliable information about Jesus' real life.

I cannot fathom the country that allows its own Beliefs to be insulted so often in the media, yet protects others beliefs by the letter of the law.

First of all persecution was something that Jesus and the founders of Christianity had to live with, Jesus was KILLED for his beliefs. No Christian in the United States is being killed for their beliefs. A few curse words in a movie are hardly anything at all. Persecution on behalf of Christ is supposed to happen, it says so in the Bible so if anything these curse words should affirm Christian faith not destroy it.

Also a few of those who bash Christianity do so hoping to wake up believers to the flaws in their beliefs and show them how the rest of the world sees them.

As long as these words are used without malice or hate I can't see how they could be all that bad. Like I said no one is being stoned or fed to lions like they used to be. If Christians don't want to Jesus' name being used like that they should stick to sermons instead of movies, the whole world isn't going to change just to protect their ears from a few supposedly bad words.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join