It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'New HIV' just prostitute guilt, say doctors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

'New HIV' just prostitute guilt, say doctors

www.news.com.au

HUNDREDS of Chinese believe they have a mysterious new disease with HIV-like symptoms but doctors suggest it is just "HIV phobia" caused by guilt from having sex with prostitutes.

In the past Chinese authorities have been accused of covering up epidemics such as the SARS virus and doctors are blaming a breakdown in trust between the medical profession and patients for the growing HIV phobia.

"I had headaches, I was dizzy, I could feel my internal organs were swelling up.

"They think we are concealing an epidemic," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.clearwisdom.net
news.bbc.co.uk
www.smh.com.au

[edit on 9-2-2010 by dingleberry77]

[edit on 9-2-2010 by dingleberry77]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 2/9/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Another coverup perhaps? The next wave of nastiness?

The same thing happened before SARS. Lots of people complaining of illness and deaths and the government covering it up.

See related links for more on what the Chinese government did before and after the last SARS outbreak.

This coverup caused more deaths, and more widespread panic.

Maybe just nothing, but I thought I'd put it out there.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 2/9/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I've read the article on this, and I have to side with the doctors, these people are just hypochondriacs.

Trust in the gov't there isn't real high, around epidemics so I can understand that.

These people are going again and again sure they have HIV.

They have no symptoms, and I'm sure it will get worse as the mass delusion goes around with the other prostitute recreationalists feeling ill.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
LOL caused by guilt from having sex with prostitutes, thats classic.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Reminds me of the name of the scent made from combining the sweat and cheap perfume of a lap dancer - 'Guilt'.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CheifMasterTrollTheHTIC

LOL caused by guilt from having sex with prostitutes, thats classic.
Hah...yeah...it is classic...although, I believe there may be something to this...why would hundreds of people start saying this...it doesn't make sense...if it were merely paranoia, you'd see like a consistent and small amount of people coming forward regularly...not a whole bunch of people suddenly describing HIV like symptoms...I won't take it too seriously for now...but I certainly wont ignore this...

[edit on 10/2/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I'm not sure whether I would equate hysteria related to anxiety with hypochondria.
I think the Chinese people are living in great distrust of their government, which did try to cover and censor its massive blood plasma HIV/Aids scandal.
I've been on sites like Medhelp where you can assess your HIV-risk (not a good idea via the web in the first place, I think), and it's wierd how some people almost insist they have it, and they will not take a "no" for an answer.
It's quite strange for me, because I was in denial before I got my diagnosis so it seems almost like an inversion.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I agree, it's funny as hell, but there could be something if we scratch the service. A few people coming forward is funny and a little sus, hundreds of people is another thing all together.

I posted as a semi-joke. But maybe there is something brewing over there?

[edit on 10-2-2010 by dingleberry77]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I didn't know HIV had symptoms like that ??? and wouldn't they take at least a few months to show up ??

The mind is a very powerful thing, ... especialy for the small minded, they could all be very well imagining this HIV.

If anything they all might have one of the new flu's, and the government is covering it up for whatever reasons, maybe tourism.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

No, the symptoms can pop up after a week or days following infection. These are not the symptoms of AIDS, but of "HIV sero-conversion disease".
At this point the body launches a massive immune response against the recent HIV infection. For most people this results in 1-to-3 weeks of flu-like symptoms and often swollen lymph glands, like those behind the ears. For a few the symptoms get dramatic, with very high fevers, serious stomach problems, and hospilization may be required. (These symptoms also occur in other conditions, and this is not advice for self-diagnosis!)

After this period of sero-conversion the person has built up HIV antibodies, which means the "window period" is over, and he will react positive to HIV-antibody tests. He then enters the asymptomatic stage, generally from 5 to 10 years, until the body's antibody attack is no longer useful and AIDS surfaces.

Research is on-going, but the general notion is that the severity of initial sero-conversion disease reflects on the strain(s) of HIV and time-frame of the progression to AIDS. The stronger the initial symptoms, the stronger and deadlier the virus.

top topics

join