It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Military: Sell U.S. Bonds To Punish Washington DC

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 297GT

LOL

It owns America...that is not alarmist....If China sells or dump all it's bonds yer it will take a big hit in the back pocket but has the means to rebuild that wealth, where America can't.
America is mainly a consumer driven economy...it sells stuff to its citizens to make money...problem is product. That is something you dont have.
America will never be out of debt for the next 1,00 odd years with a conservative estimate, and that is when repaying a $1000 every min for the next 1,000 years.

If China sells the bonds and is prepared for a loss to Iran for say$1 a pop LOL watch out USA, you may even be evicted LOL
The bonds are worthless now, the fed just prints more money and sells more bonds to cover the bonds already sold....It's a gigantic viscous circle...or as I like to put it, a swirl of water going down the drain................

[edit on 9-2-2010 by 297GT]

They own us? Most Chinese Citizens make less than $2 a day.

While the Chinese do own a large part of our debt - it isn't "most" of our debt as most of it is held internally.

Where is Slayer with his pie charts when you need him.

And if China sells the debt - so what? India is ready and willing to provide cheap goods and services.

It would be suicide (economically) for China to even consider it.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by crisko]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

The US is still the most powerfull military and economic force the Earth has ever known. China knows this and the pricks still love to use threats to to try to scare us in to submission. Guess what China, this is a real bad idea. We need only send a few coded words in to the open internet, and your indusdrial and military forces will very quickly grind to a halt. Perhaps its better we both act as adults, and not spoiled children. We both have far to much to loose, and what we both have to gain? This is something both of our people can hope works for both our people in the short and long time.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Perhaps its better we both act as adults, and not spoiled children. We both have far to much to loose, and what we both have to gain? This is something both of our people can hope works for both our people in the short and long time.

reply to post by arbiture

That's all well and good. It seems to me that america is the one pushing on china though. We are the ones threating iran, where china has large energy contracts, we are the ones arming taiwan, we are the ones devaluing our currency (their savings). So who is the bully here, really?

So china should just keep quiet while we attack their allies, arm their enemies, and steal their savings? Talk about a skewed perspective!

We need to remember there is a thing called assymetric warfare, which is used to fight much larger and more technically advanced foes. Everything has a weakness, and exploiting those weaknesses can have devastating effect. There is a reason that a blue ribbon panel was put together to study EMP for congress in 2004. Because they take these threats seriously, even if you don't.

EMP is one of a small number of threats that can hold our society at risk of catastrophic consequences. EMP will cover the wide geographic region within line of sight to the nuclear weapon. It has the capability to produce significant damage to critical infrastructures and thus to the very fabric of US society, as well as to the ability of the United States and Western nations to project influence and military power.

www.globalsecurity.org...
That's ONE nuclear detonation they're talking about!

Also remember that china doesn't need to do anything directly. In fact they used proxy warfare quite effectively during the cold war in vietnam and korea. They can simply hand off technology to nations like NK or iran.

So yes, let's act like adults and realize that we all have potential weakness's and respect other nations by staying out of their affairs shall we?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
IMO- They just want to show the world that they have some sort of "power" over the US.

Here is an interesting perspective.

Enjoy.

U.S.-China Friction: Why Neither Side Can Afford a Split

But while many Chinese take delight in America's plight and would like to end the close embrace that has brought China such prosperity over the past two decades, they are falling prey to delusions of grandeur. The fact remains that as much as China may want to go it alone, it cannot. (See pictures of the global financial crisis.)

To begin with, it holds more than $1 trillion in U.S. assets, mainly in U.S. Treasuries. No other country or entity in the world could absorb those assets if China wanted to sell them, and with China's currency value pegged to the dollar, any massive sale would lead to a steep decline in the Chinese currency and economy. China's holding of U.S. debt is leverage only in a theoretical world where it could dump its U.S. assets or stop buying more. What's more, even a hobbled America is the world's largest economy and the most significant market for Chinese goods. In 2009, a supposedly bad year, Chinese exports to the U.S. were approximately $300 billion, about the same as in 2007. That is a vast source of income for China — and one that no other part of the world can provide.

The U.S., meanwhile, has been a source of billions of dollars in direct investment in China, from thousands of American companies big and small. While it's true that China doesn't need any one of these companies as much as each one needs China, China needs all of them and depends on them for everything from brand-name goods to know-how and capital. Beijing can't just snap its fingers and go it alone; its domestic economy is far too entwined with that of the U.S., its companies, its capital and its consumers.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar

Perhaps its better we both act as adults, and not spoiled children. We both have far to much to loose, and what we both have to gain? This is something both of our people can hope works for both our people in the short and long time.

That's all well and good. It seems to me that america is the one pushing on china though. We are the ones threating iran, where china has large energy contracts, we are the ones arming taiwan, we are the ones devaluing our currency (their savings). So who is the bully here, really?

So china should just keep quiet while we attack their allies, arm their enemies, and steal their savings? Talk about a skewed perspective!

We need to remember there is a thing called assymetric warfare, which is used to fight much larger and more technically advanced foes. Everything has a weakness, and exploiting those weaknesses can have devastating effect. There is a reason that a blue ribbon panel was put together to study EMP for congress in 2004. Because they take these threats seriously, even if you don't.

EMP is one of a small number of threats that can hold our society at risk of catastrophic consequences. EMP will cover the wide geographic region within line of sight to the nuclear weapon. It has the capability to produce significant damage to critical infrastructures and thus to the very fabric of US society, as well as to the ability of the United States and Western nations to project influence and military power.

www.globalsecurity.org...
That's ONE nuclear detonation they're talking about!

Also remember that china doesn't need to do anything directly. In fact they used proxy warfare quite effectively during the cold war in vietnam and korea. They can simply hand off technology to nations like NK or iran.

So yes, let's act like adults and realize that we all have potential weakness's and respect other nations by staying out of their affairs shall we?

Lets get some basic facts here. WE ARE the ones threatining Iran? Are you on drugs? Iran has threatend every nation on Earth it has had any thing to do with going back to its glorious revolution 31 years ago. Its a state that for 31 years has run on steroids, sugar, and fear. Mostly fear, for the last 31 years. I have met with members of the Iranian underground, many years after they fled Iran. Unless you have lived in, or got to know people who lived in a dictatorship, your in no position to sound so sweet.

Get this through your head. The Iranians won't be happy untill the Islamic flag flys over the White House. The same thing applied to the Nazi's in WW-2. They wanted the swatzika flying over the White House. If your to young, or uneducated, or just to god damn stupid to figure this out, then there is nothing I can do or say to make a difference. Please, go educate your self. Read up on history. And in the mean time, try to grow up.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

To begin with, it holds more than $1 trillion in U.S. assets, mainly in U.S. Treasuries. No other country or entity in the world could absorb those assets if China wanted to sell them,

See, this is the telling part. No one can absorb 1 Trillion of treasuries from china. But we're supposed to believe that america can off load 1.8 Trillion worth of the same this year? What's wrong with this picture?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Most military men are smart people. But if the china generals are saying this option works, then they are GOOD opposite generals! :-P Afterall, doesnt anyone prefer the other side's leadershp stupid? hehe....

China had never owned US. The selling of treasury bonds are not meant to put the country up for sale, or it would never had been allowed. US assets are much more than the bonds worth, and fully capable of being paid back with even the interests upon maturity.

Work on the maths and take in ALL tax revenues and you will realize how silly some disgruntled americans and non-americans are and wish americans demoralized. To believe them, then they would have succeeded in their attempts. Not to believe would suspect us all of living in delusions. But as long as one sticks to the fact, americans can go sleep at night in peace. No one on Earth is capable of owning US, not even the biggest debtor - the Feds.

Using debts as assets may had worked prior to 2008, but the world had worken up since the financial crisis and got to know the word 'derivatives'. However, bonds are not derivatives. Nothing complex but straight forward terms and conditions. You get what you paid for with interests whomever buys.

A Corporation may collapse, but a nation? The most valuable asset a nation can ever have is its people. With brains, hands and legs, they will never allow themselves to starve, and in such beliefs will the economy grow.

A society is responsible for its debts incurred by its elected representatives. Bush and his team made many economic blunders, and now the citizens must pay the price. And pay it we all must within this generation and never allow the next generations to pay for our mistakes. No more prolifergate spending by govt. No need to be miserly, but every dollr spent or given in aid must be scrutinize.

As for the china CCP threat, let them roast for all they want. No one pointed a gun at their authoritarian capitalist head to buy US bonds, the way they pointed their guns to its people.

No one dictates to the US people how it must conduct its foriegn policies, let alone an illegal repressive govt of China.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Your demeanor speaks volumes about your intellect. If you've got a bleeding heart for iranians, then by all means go and help them. But don't try to take money americans don't have to fight more wars because of some paranoia that iran will soon take over the world.
And try to keep the cursing to a minimum please. Adults, remember?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

"Military invasion is out, there is no way they could transport an invading force here without the US being able to stop it long before it reached the shore."

They don't have to ,just think of all the Chinese people living in other countries around the world and here's a very good example of what I mean....

The Chinese Embassy in Australian capital Canberra hired thousands of Chinese students to demonstrate during the Olympic relay on Thursday, reports news.com.au. Australian Capital Territory Chief Minister Jon Stanhope confirmed that the Chinese Embassy in Canberra was closely involved in helping transport up to 10,000 Chinese students, ensuring pro-China demonstrators vastly outnumbered Tibetan activists. The revelation of official Chinese involvement in the demonstrations could trigger a diplomatic row with Australia’s largest trading partner. It is understood Beijing’s officials in Canberra were in constant contact with travel companies and student leaders who were recruiting China’s red army of young activists. Stanhope said he was not aware of the fine details of Beijing officials’ involvement but he was certain they played a role. “I don’t know the nature of the links or the organisation but I know there was contact between the embassy and Chinese representative groups,” he said. Asked if he believed China had helped to supply the thousands of professionally made flags and bunting, Stanhope said: “I believe it must have been provided by a central agency.” The Chinese demonstrators appeared highly organised, with leaders sporting walkie-talkies and colour-coded uniforms. The Chinese Students and Scholars Association yesterday admitted running a national web-based campaign to recruit students from across the country to travel to Canberra. Police said up to 15,000 pro-Chinese demonstrators were at the relay, swamping the estimated 2000 pro-Tibetan activists.

linky for you...

Chinese embassy rented crowd during Canberra Olympic relay

Having said that, I agree with others the Chinese commenter is not an official representative of the government,however the pressure sure is building up from leaders all round the world with their tough talk and sniping at each other. No doubt it's leading to "something".
Wonder if this sort of thing happened before world war II ?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Your demeanor speaks volumes about your intellect. If you've got a bleeding heart for iranians, then by all means go and help them. But don't try to take money americans don't have to fight more wars because of some paranoia that iran will soon take over the world.
And try to keep the cursing to a minimum please. Adults, remember?

Lets get some basic facts here. I am an old man. I was out saving the f****** universe when you were not even an embryo. Oh pardon my french if I swear. At my age, there are only a few words that I remember. Are you so bloody nieve that if we just "hugg and kiss" the Iranians, they will behave? Look people, I'm not trying to be rude. But I have a far better grip on history then the guy who just insulted me. I teach 20th century history at the university level...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I was out saving the f****** universe when you were not even an embryo. Oh pardon my french if I swear. At my age, there are only a few words that I remember. Are you so bloody nieve that if we just "hugg and kiss" the Iranians, they will behave?

So I'm supposed to be enamoured with the vast knowledge of someone who can only remember a few words? Are you so 'naive' that you think the untied states has to go around the world making everyone behave?

PS Whatever saving you did of the Universe has come undone. Better grab the duct tape one more time.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by HimWhoHathAnEar]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I think the laughter in this thread is very misplaced.

China has no real clout on america. China always use every ounce of leverage that it has to push its agenda. But so far it doesn't do that to the US, why? Because it has none. The US is a very high maintenance country, 800b is nothing.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I am, by no means, and expert on international economic or China, but I do know some things.

Manufacturing cheap American trinkets isn't the only thing the Chinese manufacturing base is able to do. It just so happens that the market is there at the moment so it's the best option right now.

However, if we stopped buying their "crap", they could manufacture different things for different people, including themselves. While the profit margins wouldn't be the same, the fact that they could manufacture means they would survive in a consumption world.

America, on the other hand, makes very little and seems to be teetering rather than recovering. There seems to be a serious and concerted effort, somewhere along the line, to keep the market at least at 10k or so.

Confidence is what Americans need to continue to buying we are still doing. Confidence is a rather fickle thing and is subject to volatile changes.

All in all, it seems that we are on the losing end of the stick outside of military action.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

To begin with, it holds more than $1 trillion in U.S. assets, mainly in U.S. Treasuries. No other country or entity in the world could absorb those assets if China wanted to sell them,

See, this is the telling part. No one can absorb 1 Trillion of treasuries from china. But we're supposed to believe that america can off load 1.8 Trillion worth of the same this year? What's wrong with this picture?

Because no one can really figure out who is the Big Daddy of the US. It's not china, it's not japan, it's not the arab countries. Ask Barack, he probably knows. And if the US needs 1,8t to get the job done, the US will probably get it. What kind of job is it? Again, ask Barack.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
First post here...

China is lacking in natural resources. It has to import most of what it needs. It's soil is not that fertile. It has to import it's food, iron, energy, etc. We cut them off and they will stop producing/building shortly. That is if we get cooperation, which we won't.

It is a hungry beast that will do what ever it can to survive. We have enabled it. But I feel we have maintained the upper hand. The next war is going to be over resources and we are threatening China's access to them.

Granted, in time they will starve out, but until they do, it will be a wild ride.

The question is; does the lure of money to made off the U.S. out weigh the need to conquer it

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Because no one can really figure out who is the Big Daddy of the US. It's not china, it's not japan, it's not the arab countries. Ask Barack, he probably knows. And if the US needs 1,8t to get the job done, the US will probably get it. What kind of job is it? Again, ask Barack.

No one can figure it out huh? It's called the fed, a group of private banks that create money from nothing and lend it to us at interest. Also known as inflation. It's called 'stealing' and has consequences!

[edit on 9-2-2010 by HimWhoHathAnEar]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Who is this magical Fed that I kept hearing about? Who are these amazing private bankers who keep bailing out other banks and pushing the accused "communist agenda" through Barack? And why now the banks are No Longer Too Big To Fail? Credit Rating Agency Thinks So?

Maybe the Fed is actually that Stig guy from Top Gear. But then, who is the Stig?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Perspectives, perspectives....

Screw China.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NightoftheComet

Aside from the above report true or not ... dude you really need to get a grip, your going down in flames and yelling "its not hot ..........."

The US can't afford to be high and mighty anymore .... cause there NOT. wait until the rest of the world finishes the conversion away from the American dollar..... me thinks your going to finally realize just how powerful the US isn't.

The US was sold a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

It really doesn't matter at this point whether they let them fail or print more money. The end result is the same. Broke is broke and the rest is semantics. But hey, whatever makes ya feel better.

<< 1    3 >>

join