It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things that just shouldn't be!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Out of Place Artifacts otherwise known as Ooparts, this is something I have recently started looking into and there seems to be lots of these artifacts which makes me think wether mainstream history, archaeology and science really does have all the answers.

Such things are ridiculed by mainstream academia and for quite a simple reason, they are out of place and throw all of their current ideas and theories out of the window! Mainstream academia gets very defensive when all the ideas that they have been taught and the ideas which they spread as fact are brought into disrepute.

Open your mind and take a look at some of these Out of Place Artifacts that I now present to you... some from the downright strange to the downright interesting!

The Kensington Rune Stone

The Kensington Runestone is a 200-pound slab of greywacke covered in runes on its face and side which if it is genuine, would suggest that Scandinavian explorers reached the middle of North America in the 14th century. It was found in 1898 in the largely rural town of Solem, Minnesota.

The Baghdad Battery

The Baghdad Battery sometimes referred to as the Parthian Battery, is the common name for a number of artifacts created in Mesopotamia, possibly during the Parthian or Sassanid period (the early centuries AD). These jars were probably discovered in 1936 in the village of Khuyut Rabbou'a, near Baghdad, Iraq. These artifacts came to wider attention in 1938 when Wilhelm König, the German director of the National Museum of Iraq, found the objects in the museum's collections. In 1940, König published a paper speculating that they may have been galvanic cells, perhaps used for electroplating gold onto silver objects. This interpretation continues to be considered as at least a hypothetical possibility. If correct, the artifacts would predate Alessandro Volta's 1800 invention of the electrochemical cell by more than a millennium.

The Voynich Manuscript

The Voynich manuscript is a mysterious, undeciphered illustrated book. It is thought to have been written in the 15th or 16th century. The author, script, and language of the manuscript remain unknown.
Over its recorded existence, the Voynich manuscript has been the object of intense study by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including some top American and British codebreakers of World War II fame (all of whom failed to decrypt any portion of the text).

The Fuente Magna

The Fuente Magna, also known as the Fuente Bowl is a controversial artifact discovered in Bolivia. It bears writing in what has been described as Sumerian and proto-Sumerian cuneiform!
It is a large stone vessel, resembling a libation bowl, possibly used for religious ceremonies.It was found in the 1950's by a farmer in the neighbourhood of Tiwanaku and has since been authenticated.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Antikythera Mechanism

The Antikythera Mechanism is an ancient mechanical calculator (also described as the first known mechanical computer) designed to calculate astronomical positions. It was recovered in 1900–01 from the Antikythera wreck but its complexity and significance were not understood until decades later. It is now thought to have been built about 150–100 BC. Technological artifacts of similar complexity did not reappear until the 14th century, when mechanical astronomical clocks appeared in Europe.

The Starchild skull

The Starchild skull is an abnormal human-like skull which was found in Mexico. Its origin and nature are contested by scientists and paranormal enthusiasts. The starchild skull came into the possession of Lloyd Pye, a writer and lecturer in the field of alternative knowledge, in February 1999. According to Pye, the skull was found around 1930 in a mine tunnel about 100 miles (200 km) southwest of the Mexican city of Chihuahua, Chihuahua, buried alongside a normal human skeleton which was exposed and lying supine on the surface of the tunnel. The skull is abnormal in several aspects. A dentist determined that it was a child’s skull, due to unerupted teeth being impacted in the associated upper right maxilla found with the skull. However, the volume of the interior of the starchild skull is 1600 cubic centimeters, which is 200 cm3 larger than the average adult’s brain, and 400 cm3 larger than an adult of the same approximate size.

Carbon 14 dating was performed twice, the first on the normal human skull at the University of California at Riverside in 1999, and on the Starchild skull in 2004 at Beta Analytic in Miami, the largest radiocarbon dating laboratory in the world. Both independent tests gave a result of 900 years.

The Ica stones

The Ica stones are a collection of andesite stones that contain what are alleged to be ancient depictions of dinosaurs and advanced technology, they were reportedly discovered in a cave near Ica, Peru.
The stones depict a wide variety of scenes: dinosaurs attacking or helping humans, advanced technology, advanced medical operations, maps, and sexual depictions. While there is a degree of ambiguity that leaves room for differing interpretations, they display definite knowledge of things that are wholly anachronistic.

The Dropa Stones

Dropa Stones or more accurately the Dropa Discs were found in the summer of 1938, when a Chinese archaeological expedition was mapping a series of interlocking caves in a part of the Himilayan Mountains called the Baian Kara Ula Mountains, between the border that divides China and Tibet. The expedition was being led by a Dr. Chi Pu Tei, when they stumbled across a remarkable find. In some of the caves, there were neat lines of graves, and buried in these graves were the remains of a strange people. Averaging about 4 feet in height, they had long spindly limbs and round, large oversized heads. The researchers speculated that they were the remains of apes, but apes are hardly known for burying their dead. More recently it has been suggested that these are the remains of aliens, grey type beings, as we shall see why. As well in other caves there were discovered cave drawings, pictograms of the heavens. The drawings have been carbon dated as being between 10 and 12 thousand years old (reportedly). Then a researcher stumbled across a strange, hand crafted stone disc. It was 9 inches in diameter (approximately), with a 3/4 inch perfectly round hole in the center of the disc.

The BaalBeck Block

A huge block, considered the largest hewn stone in the world, still sits where it was cut almost 2,000 years ago. Called the "Stone of the Pregnant Woman", it is 21.5m x 4.8m x 4.2meters in size and weighs an estimated 1,000 tons. Not even our biggest and best cranes could lift this stone block, so how on earth was it moved to its present position?
Baalbeck itself is an very interesting place in itself and is worthy of a lot of research if you've never done so before.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I hate seeing people claim our largest cranes cannot lift 1,000t. Mammoet make cranes, that are mobile, that can lift over 3,000 metric tons. Floating cranes can lift over 10,000 tons.

Sorry, seeing junk like that detracts from the entire post.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Interesting. Here is a website that mentions a couple of those and a couple more.www.world-mysteries.com...

Actually, I have another site also, which also hase some repeats .. www.phenomenica.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ecidemon
I hate seeing people claim our largest cranes cannot lift 1,000t. Mammoet make cranes, that are mobile, that can lift over 3,000 metric tons. Floating cranes can lift over 10,000 tons.

Try lifting a stone block like that with a crane and you will find that the block will break into bits, it's called stress fractures.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Vonage Manuscript deciphered?

Link

Just heard about this.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Open your mind

Open the search bar...these have been covered here - several times over.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08

Originally posted by Ecidemon

Try lifting a stone block like that with a crane and you will find that the block will break into bits, it's called stress fractures.

That's a different topic entirely, and it could easily be done with braces. This block, however, was never moved to begin with.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
First of all the Ica Stones are thought by many to be fakes.

"The Ica stone craze began in 1996 with Dr. Javier Cabrera Darquea, a Peruvian physician who allegedly abandoned a career in medicine in Lima to open up the Museo de Piedras Grabadas (Engraved Stones Museum) in Ica. There he displays his collection of several thousand stones. Dr. Cabrera claims that a farmer found the stones in a cave. The farmer was arrested for selling the stones to tourists. He told the police that he didn't really find them in a cave, but that he made them himself. Other modern Ica artists, however, continue to carve stones and sell forgeries of the farmer's forgeries. In 1975, Basilio Uchuya and Irma Gutierrez de Aparcana claimed that they sold Cabrera stones they'd graved themselves and that they'd chosen their subject matter by copying from "comic books, school books, and magazines" (Polidoro 2002)."

Source: www.skepdic.com...

I don't have time at present to get to the others so I will get back to them when I have more time.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Cool thread
I have always thought that the Mitchell Hedges Skull was out of place and time. If it is authentic than we have no explanation for the precision and craftsmanship.

thenonist.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
Cool thread
I have always thought that the Mitchell Hedges Skull was out of place and time.

Think what you will. However, because no crystal skull has ever been found in situ, there is absolutely no way to date one.

Also, the best evidence points to these skulls being made by a lapidary trained in Austria.

If it is authentic than we have no explanation for the precision and craftsmanship.

Actually, all such skulls exhibit the marks of the grinding that carved them. One must presume a high speed grinder/polisher existing in the ancient world if one wants to claim any antiquity for these works of art.

Harte

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The Dropa story is completely false.
The actual people are normal Chinese, and the discs they display in the images are much different than are presented in the story, and are what's called Bi discs.
I have to admit, though, that the first image is not one I've seen.

The Baghdad batteries are not a complete hoax, but they are misrepresented.
It's far more likely that they were sacred jar containers, they would not have worked as batteries as they were found. In order to convert a current as per a battery, they had to change the design to draw a current from them.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

If I'm ever held hostage by Somali pirates and need a distraction to make good my escape...shouting 'Baghdad batteries' three times will see you appear in a split second

If it's really bad, I'll utter the words...'Yonaguni Pyramids are real' and Harte will provide back up

If you're ever in difficulties...shout these words three times...'Lloyd Pye is credible and his Starchild Skull is an alien!'

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I now come with built in kung fu kicking action!

The Baghdad batteries are both my favorite, and least favorite, oopart.

I used to follow most of the fringe theories religiously.
I wrote a report on one particular theory in 5th grade, and the teacher flunked it. Rightfully so, didn't put in sources and references.
One of the principle artifacts I loved was the batteries.
Then i started learning about them, and how they were presented.
And they had a episode of Mythbusters that showed how they needed to adapt the design to make them function as batteries.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Michael Cremo Coast to Coast AM Forbidden Archeology ....
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 18-2-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
www.youtube.com...

Cool sense of humour! Cremo as something that just shouldn't be. I couldn't agree with you more

(if you want to post you tube...copy everything after the = and paste it into the 'You Tube' pop up box after clicking the You Tube button above the reply box)

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This website has almost all the OOparts that have at present been discovered. I never heard of this term until I saw it on this site.

www.s8int.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
www.youtube.com...

Cool sense of humour! Cremo as something that just shouldn't be. I couldn't agree with you more

(if you want to post you tube...copy everything after the = and paste it into the 'You Tube' pop up box after clicking the You Tube button above the reply box)

I tryed that an all i got was a Black Space with a Blue youtube link were the vid should be or criptic youtube nonsence! what am i doing wrong? thanks, Peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Closing thread. We have so many threads on OOPArts that repeat these same points (and replies) -- please reply to one of those existing threads.

top topics

join