It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Research: Japan Physicist Discovers How to Teleport Energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

New Research: Japan Physicist Discovers How to Teleport Energy

www.technologyreview.com

Since quantum particles are indistinguishable but for the information they carry, there is no need to transmit them themselves.

Physicists have used these ideas to actually teleport photons, atoms, and ions. And it's not too hard to imagine that molecules and perhaps even viruses could be teleported in the not-too-distant future.

But Masahiro Hotta at Tohoku University in Japan has come up with a much more exotic idea. Why not use the same quantum principles to teleport energy?
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.smartplanet.com

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is actually a much more staggering notion than ideas that have been proposed (and implemented) in recent years in the field of Quantum Mechanics.

Masahiro Hotta's discovery of how to teleport energy suggests that we're entering an era of research that will lead to the teleportation of information over incomprehensible distances, virtually instantaneously.

Forget about light speed. That's antiquated physics.

We're talking about the equivalent of Star Trek's "subspace" communication system, which permitted the Enterprise to maintain constant contact with Starfleet Headquarters, regardless of how many thousand light years the starship wandered from its home base.

With a bit of tweaking, we're talking about instantaneous communications with our own astronauts on the surface of Mars, for example. We're talking about instantaneous video feeds from our surface probes on Titan or Europa.

The "teleportation" of complex organic structures — such as living human beings — may be centuries away for now; however, the teleportation of energy and information is at least as revolutionary a concept.

And that technology seems only a few years (or decades) away following Masahiro Hotta's discovery.

— Doc Velocity

www.technologyreview.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/9/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Finally we realise Telsa's dream.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Holy crap, I just starred and flagged one of your threads....

surely the sign of the apocolypse

anyhow, great find, freaking brilliant. supressed in 3...2...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This idea/technology was developed in 1993/4 under NRC contract and passed onto the universities in Toronto. Old news people and there are already two other threads.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Great find. S&F

Very cool. Also scary, given the lack of responsibility and accountability in most corporate/scientific research and development partnerships.

But well-worth watching. ...Bump.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
Old news people and there are already two other threads.

These are new articles on the subject. I'm not going to post new articles in old threads.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Something I can't help wondering is this: What's to prevent our "teleporting" energy and information across Time? Even inadvertently?

As Einstein and his followers have amply demonstrated, Space & Time are one fabric. You don't manipulate Space (matter & energy) without manipulating Time, as well.

For example, our own astronauts, traveling at thousands of miles per hour in near-Earth space, return to Earth a few nanoseconds younger than the rest of us. That's Einsteinian physics for you, a case-in-point for Time Dilation. The faster you travel across Space, the greater this Time Dilation becomes.

So, if we could somehow send astronauts to Proxima Centauri (the closest star to our Sun) at a substantial fraction of the speed of light, they would experience the journey as requiring less than a decade to reach their destination... Unfortunately, we back here on Earth would experience the journey as requiring, I dunno, several decades at least, or perhaps even centuries.

Again, that's Einsteinian physics for you.

So, here's the kicker... How do we use quantum information teleportation to remain in instantaneous contact with our astronauts as they experience Time Dilation? I mean, teleporting information to the star-travelers MUST have some limit of usefulness.

Here's a scenario that might clarify my question:

Our astronauts depart for Proxima Centauri, gradually attaining a substantial fraction of light speed. Time Dilation begins from the moment they engage their advanced propulsion system... Time slows down for them, as Time continues at its normal pace here on Earth.

We, however, are remaining in constant contact with them through quantum information teleportation. This will be disconcerting, to say the least.

One Year into their journey, the astronauts receive an instantaneous transmission from Earth, which goes something like this:

Good morning, star travelers, this is Mother Earth calling. While your chronometers have recorded one year of travel at near-light-speed, human civilization on Earth itself has aged by 50 years, and our technology has continued to advance in your absence. Although we're sure you're aware of it by now, all of the technology aboard your starship is severely antiquated — sorry.

If you'll look out your port window tomorrow morning at 8:37 am ship's time, you should see a brief flash of light — that's a third-generation starship passing you on the way to Proxima Centauri. They will arrive two years ahead of you and will scout out the starsystem for likely colony real estate. Don't be discouraged! We know you wanted to be the first, but we're sure the others will organize a nice reception for you upon your arrival. Earth Out.

Ouch. That had to hurt.

Two Years into their journey, the astronauts receive an instantaneous transmission from Earth, which goes something like this:

Brightest morning, star travelers, this is Earth calling! While your chronometers have recorded two years of travel at near-light-speed, human civilization on Earth itself has aged by 125 years, and our technology has continued to advance in your absence.

The StarDrive program has been discontinued for its energy inefficiency. The United Earth Department of Quantum Flux is happy to announce that all future star travel will be conducted by way of instantaneous matter/energy teleportation.

By the way, the Proxima Centauri system has been fully colonized and is now a Type 2 star civilization. Sorry, we know you wanted to be first colonists, but they're planning a huge and nostalgic reception for you when you finally arrive.

Three Years into their journey, the astronauts receive an instantaneous transmission from Earth, which goes something like this:

Bright and Shiny, star travelers, this is your Home Earth calling! While your chronometers have recorded three years of travel at near-light-speed, human civilization on Earth itself has aged by 200 years, and our technology has continued to advance in your absence.

The former United Earth Department of Quantum Flux is now known as The Astral MindFleet. All development of "spaceships" (chuckle) has been terminated since we broadly implemented the Neural Quantum Interface, permitting anyone to travel anywhere in the galaxy simply by thinking about a desired destination.

Incidentally, the Proxima Centauri system and its human colonies are breathlessly awaiting your arrival. They intend to place your antique "StarDrive ship" (chuckle) in their Ancient Earth Exhibit at the Centauri Museum of Freakish Oddities, where you and your crew will become subjects of extensive study for the rest of your lives. Sorry.

Yeah. Something like that. So, a double-edged sword is this instantaneous teleportation of energy and information, unless we wait a good many years before venturing to the stars. It could be disconcerting, at least, for our teleported information to crisscross time frames, don't you think?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is cool as hell;
I cant wait till they start using this for the internet;
Possibly wireless internet;
We would be able to do so much more;
Like Augmented Reality over the internet

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Something I can't help wondering is this: What's to prevent our "teleporting" energy and information across Time? Even inadvertently?

Even without teleportation, just at normal light speed, we are transporting information across time. An old TV broadcast made 40 years ago is just now reaching stars 40 light years away.

Likewise when we are seeing light that left stars millions of years ago, it's a kind of time travel, we are seeing those as they were millions of years ago, not as they are today.

Einstein didn't rule out all forms of time travel, just those that would create paradoxes, such as you being able to go back in time and kill your own grandfather, for example.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Einstein didn't rule out all forms of time travel, just those that would create paradoxes, such as you being able to go back in time and kill your own grandfather, for example.

I'm not sure that Einstein fully comprehended the implications of Quantum Physics. He was certainly aware that it was an entirely different set of physical laws, but did he anticipate information being inserted into black holes which would then be ejected from white holes on the other side of the universe instantaneously?

And to what end? I mean, if we can send a package of information 13 billion light years away instantaneously, HOW do we use that technology?

For one thing — for one VERY BIG THINGwe don't know who or what is actually out there, because our understanding of the Universe is limited to the delivery of information at lightspeed.

Light reaches our eyes, we acknowledge that this light is a million-million years old, let's say, but we haven't advanced the real question — What are the stars really doing right at this moment? Not a million-million years after the fact, but what are they doing right now?

It looks as though energy & information teleportation technology could answer this question. We could, perhaps, teleport an "eye" to a distant location that provides us with a continuous feed of information on that location.

This introduces a whole new meaning to "Eye in the Sky"... Such a peeper (like a quantum wormhole-scope) could be anywhere, it could be utilized at some remote location on Earth — maybe 35,000 feet down in the Marianas Trench, for example — or it could be 4.2 light years away at Proxima Centauri, or it could be on the edge of the known universe, taking snapshots of Quasi-Stellar Objects...

Really freaky tech, bro... Yeah, at least freaky.

But such a roving "eye" would precede a much more daring venture — Actually affecting space on the opposite side of the universe is the activity we want. We'll get tired of taking snapshots soon enough, and we'll progress to snagging souvenirs from the far reaches of the cosmos. Let your imagination wander.

This may create confusion and loss of identity, I think, for those who participate in these experiments. Allow me to attempt to explain: These folks will look up into the night sky and think I'm looking at the PAST, yet in their quantum teleportation work, they will know the entire Universe as it is, at this existential moment.

They will come to regard their knowledge gained from quantum teleportation as REALITY, while their mundane observations of the night skies will come to be regarded as dusty old ancient history, even though it's right before their eyes.

The "real world" will fold and collapse over time as this new mentality takes hold.

A sweet paradox of logic. "The Eternal Now" will seriously come home to roost, eh? That's when we turn on our Universal Clocks, right?

But, see, when we reach this level of sophistication, we're going to be surprised to receive messages from ourselves in the future. Which has the mind-blowing potential to turn Einstein on his head.

How can we receive information from the future? How can information possibly arrive here centuries before it was sent?

Well, we've already demonstrated in the lab that particles anticipate each other, that when we fire a photon at a target and it arrives before it was firedthat's the slow light research that I'm mucking up so badly — we know that answers can arrive before the question is asked.

In other words, we know that time-travel of information is possible. Time travel of information is every bit as mind-blowing as Rod Taylor's version of Time Travel, okay.

How about this, a simple experiment using a quantum information teleportation device...

I type in "Colts 17 Saints 31" and press the Send button.

This tiny bit of info emerges on a receiver a week ago.

Fortunes are made, the course of history is turned, I become a media mogul in one week.

Oh, yeah, this discovery will be useful, but not in the ways we might at first think.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/10/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DjSharperimage

uummmm, we already have wireless internet.

and this physicist hasn't developed anything..... he has created a theory. How can he claim to know " how to" do this ?? he has merely discovered the possibility of it.

thats like me saying I have discovered how to create an antigravity device, ..... and drawing a picture of a balloon.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
and this physicist hasn't developed anything..... he has created a theory. How can he claim to know " how to" do this ?? he has merely discovered the possibility of it.
...thats like me saying I have discovered how to create an antigravity device, ..... and drawing a picture of a balloon.

Well, actually, Masahiro Hotta is hell of a guy, and it's not hard to keep up with him...
Masahiro Hotta's contact information is freely posted on the Internet, but if you want to call him, that's entirely up to you. Take your case right to the man, okay?

He's built this very sound theory on the work of others who have been pursuing this line of research. What do you think? You think this guy is a rogue, dreaming all this tomfoolery up, making doodles in his oatmeal?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/10/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Thx good post! this got me thinking of when Bob Lazar said: He investigated the "sport model" and that the energy was transferred wireless inside the cockpit.
Very interesting

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It *is* a theory, and as far as I can tell it's based on a paper from 2007 (sorry to be picky but I "sort of" remembered hearing something about this on other boards years ago.) As far as I can tell, he hasn't actually put it into any practical tests yet. So it's one of those things that in theory is correct but we may not have the right technology to actually do it.
arxiv.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I FIRMLY believe that laws are about loopholes.

You can't break Einstein's law but I have no doubt there is a loophole or two.

For example, an object EXIBITING A MASS cannot move THROUGH space at or greater than light speed.

The loopholes are massless objects and space itself.

Don't get stuck in the laws, find a way around them. They don't have to be broken.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Lol I just had a crazy thought, Like people claim ancient aliens theory, Imagine back then they sent some people out there with superior technology, then this flood comes and makes humanity cavemen, those guys who come back after visiting wherever they went would be like :O

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc VelocitySomething I can't help wondering is this: What's to prevent our "teleporting" energy and information across Time? Even inadvertently?

This post was hilarious. Reminds me of Hitch-hiker's Guide where there was an intergalactic war and ships were sent out to attack the enemy. In the time it took them to travel there they each invented faster ships which arrived before the others and fought the war. By the time the original ships arrive the war has been over for hundreds/thousands of years but it starts up again because the travellers had no idea.

Yeah it would kind of suck giving up your life to travel to another planet only to find it has been colonised for hundreds of years before you get there.

Thanks for the link - interesting article. IMO teleportation won't be too far off. Perhaps decades but not centuries. Perhaps even years if things keep progressing the way they have been.

I kind of hope once we can utilise this technology that we won't be as infantile as using it for personal monetary gain, but in this world I wouldn't be surprised.

I do think that time and space are an illusion and can be traversed instantaneously. The universe is a giant playground for us

edit on 7-9-2011 by Cecilofs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
I FIRMLY believe that laws are about loopholes.

You can't break Einstein's law but I have no doubt there is a loophole or two.

For example, an object EXIBITING A MASS cannot move THROUGH space at or greater than light speed.

The loopholes are massless objects and space itself.

Don't get stuck in the laws, find a way around them. They don't have to be broken.

Or as someone said above:

THEORIES..Laws of physics..Maybe these laws/"theories!!"
are meant to BE broken.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Teleporting + Space Elevator = Fun Idea

top topics

join