It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barnett Shale For Dummies / I'll Take Things That Kill Me For $500 Alex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Many of you are probably well aware of the Barnett Shale gas deposits in the U.S. This thread is for those of us who were not.

All I had ever heard about it was a few family and friends believing they were about to Strike It Rich. It turns out there is a lot of controversy surrounding the subject, how the drilling is conducted, what it's doing to our environment, and who is actually getting rich off of the deal.

The money side-

oilshalegas.com...

In 2008, some landowners were getting up to $25,000 per acre for mineral/drilling rights. The price has dropped some since then, but investors expect it to go back up in 2010. The tricky part is, let's say you decide to not sell your mineral rights. The drilling company can set up shop next to your property. With their sideways drilling techniques they can get your gas anyway.

The Barnett Shale is a geological formation located in the Bend Arch-Fort Worth Basin. It consists of sedimentary rocks of Mississippian age (354–323 million years ago) in Texas. The formation underlies the city of Fort Worth and underlies 5,000 square miles (13,000 km2) and at least 17 counties. Some experts have suggested the Barnett Shale may have the largest producible reserves of any onshore natural gas field in the United States.[1] The field is proven to have 2.5 trillion cubic feet (7.1×1010 m3) of natural gas, and is widely estimated to contain as much as 30 trillion cubic feet (8.5×1011 m3) of natural gas resources.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f065a640b92.jpg[/atsimg]

Wiki Source Here

Sounds good so far, right?
Until they studied the gases being released and burned at the drilling sites-

The private study found elevated levels of benzene and other hazardous air pollutants, leading to the issuance of a TCEQ memo stating. "The Toxicology Division is concerned that the monitored concentrations of benzene at several of the sampling locations could pose a long-term health risk to residents in the area if the concentrations are representative of normal and prolonged ambient conditions," the memo read.

WFAA Story Link

Benzene?

Benzene, or benzol, is an organic chemical compound with the molecular formula C6H6. It is sometimes abbreviated Ph–H. Benzene is a colorless and highly flammable liquid with a sweet smell and a relatively high melting point. Because it is a known carcinogen, its use as an additive in gasoline is now limited, but it is an important industrial solvent and precursor in the production of drugs, plastics, synthetic rubber, and dyes. Benzene is a natural constituent of crude oil, and may be synthesized from other compounds present in petroleum.

The major effects of benzene are chronic (long-term) exposure through the blood. Benzene damages the bone marrow and can cause a decrease in red blood cells, leading to anemia. It can also cause excessive bleeding and depress the immune system, increasing the chance of infection. Benzene causes leukemia and is associated with other blood cancers and pre-cancers of the blood.

Wiki Source Here

People who breathe in high levels of benzene may develop the following signs and symptoms within minutes to several hours:
Drowsiness
Dizziness
Rapid or irregular heartbeat
Headaches
Tremors
Confusion
Unconsciousness
Death (at very high levels)

CDC Site Source

There's also some evidence that supports all the drilling causing earthquakes in the region!

After today's (5/16/09) 3rd earthquake in the Barnett Shale region in less than eight months, I think my attached message from August, 2007 bears repeating. While vacationing recently in Marfa, Texas, I stumbled into a bookstore seeking shade and ran across an interesting book titled, Texas Earthquakes. I thought to myself, We don't have earthquakes in Texas! The concept seemed counterintuitive. The authors of the book know better. Opening the book at random to page 70, I read the following:
"Three human activities that commonly induce earthquake activity are:
1) Injecting high pressure fluids into rock formations beneath the earths surface.
2) Withdrawing large amounts of fluid or gas.
3) Construction of reservoirs and lakes."

Durango Texas Source

On the flip side, these people would have us believe EVERYTHING IS OK-

In the 29 years since the first well was drilled in the Barnett Shale, the natural gas industry has taken steps to ensure that it is a good neighbor. Paramount among those efforts is to operate in a safe, clean and environmentally friendly manner. It's not only an operational imperative -- since the industry is among the world's most heavily regulated -- it also demonstrates the commitment to develop a long-term relationship with communities throughout the region.

Barnett Shale Energy Education Council Source

Who do you believe?
The energy companies? Why is this story not all over the national news?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There is no point in drilling just to release the gas into the atmosphere. That's not what they pay for. Consequently, if the source is tapped, the gas remains in the pipeline. As for benzene, that stuff is nasty indeed -- I had to work with it in the lab.

All in all, not a large source for alarm.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well Benzene isn't the only compound contained within natural gas deposits that possess deadly properties. Benzene kills you over prolonged ambient exposure.. H2S kills you in one breath.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
There is no point in drilling just to release the gas into the atmosphere. That's not what they pay for. Consequently, if the source is tapped, the gas remains in the pipeline. As for benzene, that stuff is nasty indeed -- I had to work with it in the lab.

All in all, not a large source for alarm.

Don't man-made earthquakes worry you just a bit?

Among those convinced the drilling and the earthquakes are related: Markus Haring, a former oilman and the head of the Swiss geothermal project. After the Wall Street Journal wrote about the Cleburne quakes, Mr. Haring emailed to say there is “not the slightest doubt” that gas production caused the temblors.

The idea that human activity can cause seismic activity is widely accepted in the scientific community. A 2000 paper in the journal Oilfield Review—published by the oilfield services giant Schlumberger Ltd.—noted that the connection between oil production and earthquakes dates back to at least the 1920s, when geologists in South Texas noted faulting near the Goose Creek oil field.

WSJ Source

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

The tricky part is, let's say you decide to not sell your mineral rights. The drilling company can set up shop next to your property. With their sideways drilling techniques they can get your gas anyway.

There's no law regarding this?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lophe

There is, but they drill straight down, then go sideways. So there's no way to tell if "your" gas is getting sucked up the pipe. So you pretty much have to sign up with them if you want any money out of the deal. (I have a few relatives with land in North La.)

top topics

join