It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools War On Religion?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Ive got a simple answer to this thread.

Why isnt religion taught in schools?

because the minute an organization decides to teach my child what and what not to believe is the day I(and I know there are countless others like me) not only pull my children out, but declare war on schools and organize every effort I can to take them out.

That and the fact that IT'S IN THE FRIGGIN CONSTITUTION(not that anyone pays attention to that anymore)

I am not backing up the teaching of religion in public schools... That would just give the government more power and manipulation - that is why it is so like it is now.

HOWEVER

You send your child to school... that means you are giving an organization THE OKAY TO TELL YOUR CHILD WHAT TO BELIEVE AND WHAT NOT TO BELIEVE.

Here's your sign.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Ive got a simple answer to this thread.

Why isnt religion taught in schools?

because the minute an organization decides to teach my child what and what not to believe is the day I(and I know there are countless others like me) not only pull my children out, but declare war on schools and organize every effort I can to take them out.

That and the fact that IT'S IN THE FRIGGIN CONSTITUTION(not that anyone pays attention to that anymore)

I am not backing up the teaching of religion in public schools... That would just give the government more power and manipulation - that is why it is so like it is now.

HOWEVER

You send your child to school... that means you are giving an organization THE OKAY TO TELL YOUR CHILD WHAT TO BELIEVE AND WHAT NOT TO BELIEVE.

Here's your sign.

a)It was hypothetical. I have no children, and choose not to for many reasons.

b)Sending children to school in NO WAY gives that school the right to tell my child what is right and wrong to believe. That line of thinking is ludicrous. It is that exact line of thinking that has led to schools being expected to be surrogate parents to children, instead of educators.

c)If sending kids to school gives the school the right to teach them what and what not to believe, why is there regulated curriculum? Why are there CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATIONS on what can and cant be taught?

Here's your outdated 90's comedic reference back

[edit on 13-2-2010 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by theflamingswan92

I think it is the other way around.

Religion is having a war on schools.

Evolution is fought tooth and nail as if it is just some hocus pocus Darwin made up on a heroin binge. Science is ignored when it comes to global warming it is politicized by the religious right and turned into a joke. A well rounded primary education tells us we share the planet with other people and wildlife and it should be protected. Religion tells us we own it all, we can do what we want with it and as for sharing...forget about it. We do not tolerate heathens and everyone outside our religion and beliefs is a devil.

Education makes people smarter and religion seems to make them stupid. At least it gives them permission to remain stagnant, uneducated and stupid.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Oh shh. It's not a question of weather or not "they" like to think outside of the box, it's "them" wanting students to be taught only what is proven. I am reminded of the sixth grade teacher who taught children that WWII was a hoax by the jews and who went to jail for teaching it as fact not opinion. Young children's minds are so easily corruptable, telling them women suck because the first one ever ate an apple from the 'tree of wisdom' might make one of them go out and decide to kill every woman he can. FACT is what needs to be taught in schools, not belief. It is a VERY VERY good thing that evolution is being taught rather then creationism, firstly because everyone has a different belief system (hiduism, christianity, native american mythology, greek orthadox..etc. etc.) and teaching only your favorite would be discrimination. Secondly, schools teach the universal creation myth (big bang & Evolution) becaus it is the only one that has been scientifically PROVEN to have happened. Sure there are always the poorly informed religious ones who can deny the proof, but the highly educated teachers and school boards will always teach what they believe to be the truth. Especially when the truth HAS BEEN PROVEN and creationism is all speculation relying on texts from two thousand years ago when people stil believed the world was flat.

The world is not flat, so why would anything else from the bronze age be correct? There is as much proof of evolution as there is that the world is round.

Blaming proper education on the government's lack of the ability to think outside the box is ridiculous and one could easily turn the tables the other way and say that believing in god (following one set of texts and basing all life choices on their teachings and rules) is the opposite of thinking outside the box and that the discovery and teaching of evolution (going against what everyone else has believed for thousands of years) is so far beyond the box that it ceases to exist in one's mind.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by Wertdagf

EVERY battle in the bible was some horiffic thing justifid by coming from the mouth of a lunitic claiming to hear voices.

So the bible has factual events when it suits your argument?

Hitler was NOT an atheist. The only country where LEADERS can NOT have religion is China so atleast try to bring them into this.....

Never said anything about hitler...
Pol Pot, Atheist: 2 million dead
Joseph Stalin, Atheist: 20 million plus dead
Kim-Il-Sung, Atheist: 5 million dead
Mao Zedong, 50 million dead

atheist dictators killed millions of people over the past century and murdered hundreds of thousands in an effort to eradicate religion itself, because, you know, mass murder is the inevitable result when a community becomes
[irony]
too intolerant of outlandish dogmas and too fond of critical thinking.
[/irony]

[edit on 10-2-2010 by zaiger]

How about all the Christian leaders that have killed millions?

For that matter, how about the all-out effort by christianity to eradicate all earth based religions when christianity was on the rise? The genocide of american natives?

no, we dont like to remember those things...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join