It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash money disappears (within 5 years) – Netherlands, Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

www.nu.nl

Amsterdam – Within five years customers will only be able to pay with PIN card or mobile phone. Cash money will disappear. This statement comes from the Dutch Consumers Association.

Even the Retail Branch Netherlands assumes that cash payments will soon be history. “It is a snowball that is rolling faster and faster”, according to a spokesman to the newspaper.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ad.nl

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This article appeared in the Dutch national newspaper “Algemeen Dagblad” on February 9, 2010. The original text is in Dutch, translated manually into English.

Full translation of article:

Amsterdam – Within five years customers will only be able to pay with PIN card or mobile phone. Cash money will disappear. This statement comes from the Dutch Consumers Association.

Even the Retail Branch Netherlands assumes that cash payments will soon be history. “It is a snowball that is rolling faster and faster”, according to a spokesman to the newspaper.

Telecom company Telfort is already jumping on the bandwagon. As of next April customers will only be able to pay by PIN card in 35 of their stores. “A bold step” according to a spokeswoman of the association.

Telfort claims to be the first retail chain of the Netherlands to make this move. The company takes the step out of concern for the safety of customers and their own personel.

According to Telfort the restriction is legally permitted.

I live in the Netherlands but this will affect the entire world. It will not just be limited to Holland. Does anyone else in Europe see similar articles in their country?
There is a lot of tourism to The Netherlands and even tourists will not be able to pay with cash Euros anymore. Every payment you make will be traceable. This comes in addition to the "OV-chipcard" that was introduced in January, a personal and electronic PIN card needed to travel on trains, subways and busses.

You cannot travel anywhere without "them" knowing where you are going. You cannot buy anything without "them" knowing what you are buying and where you are buying it.

I used to live in a free country.

www.nu.nl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythtified

Hi Mythified,

I agree with your sentiments. It has become a bit of an experience paying cash as some of the younger generation at the cash registers are a bit perplexed when they are presented with cash, I often ask "whats the matter have you not seen hard currency before?", only to be greeted with a deep stare of vagueness.

Is the chip card you refer issued by your government or contracted out to a private firm?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I would say a lot of people (by my observation) have begun to fall back into having cash in their pockets to control their spending habits. So I guess this is the start of the Finance Sectors media machine cranking up to push everyone away from cash and back into using cards..

More debt servitude anyone!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by oze bob

The OV-chipcard is a government funded project. Of course the production is outsourced to a production company (Translink Systems).
By the way, in the town where I live we also need an electronic card to dispose of our garbage since last year.
I guess the governement wants to trace my hamburger all the way from the moment of purchase up to the final disposal of the wrapper...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Mythtified,

Conformity is the word. Apparently people want to experience the illusion of security.....

.....until government freezes your account because you are regarded a threat to national security for visiting ATS.

The Netherlands are not the only country transferring to this system but it's not to hard to imagine why we are so eager to abolish hard cash. Do you have any idea how much money is being made by electronically transferring cash between one bank and the other?

And how will uncle Joe pay you for washing his car on Saturday without the IRS taking their little slice of your labor?

Etc etc etc....

Coming straight out with the question if people would want to trade their freedom for security would be to suspicious so they are taking the long way round.........but eventually they will come round.

Peace

(En dan hebben we het nog niet eens over de chipknip gehad.....
)

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Thank you for your reply, the reason I asked is that several states here in Australia areattempting to introduce these cards for use on public transport. In one state people have had unauthorised debits to their credit cards and fare credits vanish, the farce has gotten to the point that staff of the provider are telling the consumers to use the current system.

Thanks for the heads up on the garbage...thats a good one

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Yes, this is a very tragic development indeed. I have warned the people around me for many years that this was coming. Soon there will be a system in place where you can go from "normal person" to homeless bum with the push of a button by a private corporation. Nothing you can ever do about it. No way to prove how much "money" you owned before it "disappeared." If they want you out of the way you will be "blocked" or even "denied existence" electronically on all systems -- unable to live or simply not existing in the society any longer.

There used to be a time where money had value, because it was made of valuable materials. After that paper money was introduced with it's value backed up by gold to provide a secure system. Now, ever since the Federal Reserve System in the USA and many similar (privately owned!!!) systems worldwide are installed, the gold doesn't have to exist any longer to back up the value of money.

With electronic payment they are taking it one step further to the point where money doesn't even exist any more. Just the memory of it and some digitized data stored on systems you don't control. Mission accomplished.

And still I wonder why we let this happen to us...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RationalDespair
If they want you out of the way you will be "blocked" or even "denied existence" electronically on all systems -- unable to live or simply not existing in the society any longer.

Actually... that doesn't even sound that bad at all!

I wouldn't mind becoming part of a subculture with its own kind of money and its own kind of retail system; but instead of it being a criminal-sub-society sort of environment (that is also based on fear and control), I envision it to be a populated with people that base their interactions on mutual respect and principles of freedom...
Ah well... I must be dreaming...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

You should read up on the The Wörgl Experiment. A success in every way but...

the "experiment" was terminated by the Austrian National Bank on the 1st September 1933 on the basis of the "Certified Compensation Bills" being a threat to the Bank's monopoly on printing money.

, I still enjoy reading this story and it very much shows what this game is all about...

Peace

Edit: link added An experiment in Worgl

[edit on 9-2-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Actually... that doesn't even sound that bad at all!

I wouldn't mind becoming part of a subculture with its own kind of money and its own kind of retail system; but instead of it being a criminal-sub-society sort of environment (that is also based on fear and control), I envision it to be a populated with people that base their interactions on mutual respect and principles of freedom...
Ah well... I must be dreaming...

Hmmm... never looked at it that way
I guess that would be an ideal situation, but unfortunately crime will most likely rule in such a world...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

You should read up on the The Wörgl Experiment. A success in every way but...

the "experiment" was terminated by the Austrian National Bank on the 1st September 1933 on the basis of the "Certified Compensation Bills" being a threat to the Bank's monopoly on printing money.

I would design tradeable items that don't fit the description of printeable money...

I agree with the crime problem of any subculture. However, are there any bigger criminals in the world than bankers and pharamcists? I don't really think it could get much worse...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'm living in Denmark, and as far as I know, one of the only places not accepting anything but cards, is the "Citizen Service" (Borgerservice) where you go to renew your passport for example.

Which I personally believe is far more scary than a company doing it, anyway...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Yesterday i was traveling by train, and noticed that on all stations, poles about 1.20m in height had been put up, all with a blue LCD.

It's preparation for the new "Travelcard" (Rejsekort) we are to begin using for public transport later this year.

www.rejsekort.dk

for a picture of how it looks

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Also, to make it more secure, they'll require our fingerprints as well, to merge PIN and biometric security for purchases. That gets round the problem of the pesky peasants refusing to give their fingerprints to the authorities. Just design a system under which they cannot survive unless they do so.

I remember when Gordon Brown took the reins as PM, he made a long-winded speech, part of which was on technology and the cashless society. This has been planned for a long time and they are just introducing it all piece by piece, as to do so all at once would likely get their arses kicked out of office and have them hanging from the rafters.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
Mythtified,

Conformity is the word. Apparently people want to experience the illusion of security.....

.....until government freezes your account because you are regarded a threat to national security for visiting ATS.

As long as banks and local goverments can seize funds, there will never be an end to cash money. Even now, there are people that have preferred local barters and local currencies over the use of bank cards.

Maybe when a true credit card, one that actually stores monetary credit directly on the card itself, such as this exists, then we'll see the end of paper cash. Until then, they'll have to make those plastic cards work as good as cash.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ugyldig

It is a sneaky way to introduce One World Cash. No need to merge or convert currencies. No more need for euros. Just give everyone a plastic card...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythtified

www.nu.nl

That term, will ONLY be able to pay with.., that can't be good. True, that it's very convenient I have to say, but if that's the only way... I just don't think it's a good idea at all.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
A cashless society will only drive the black markets into greater success, creating a great dichotomy between those who acquiesce to the banksters and their tyranny, and those who refuse to acquiesce, and will only embrace the black markets where other forms of currency will be used in order to purchase what is necessary. People today often view the black markets as being those markets that sell illegal products, such as illicit drugs, but I live in an area in a large metropolis in The United States where all sorts of products are sold on the black market, including fresh fruits and vegetables, clothing, wallets and jewelery, and many other items that are not illegal to sell.

Many of these black marketeers are operating in the black market because they either can not afford the licensing schemes that come with "legal markets", or they are illegal immigrants who do not qualify for the licensing schemes, or they are "tax evaders". Governments will only create more "tax evaders" by forcing a cashless society, and the battle lines will be clearly drawn. Who will win? Tyranny always stumbles. Complexity always creates unintended consequences or emergent behavior that nobody could reasonable predict. It is folly to complicate simple market paradigms. In the end, freedom will prevail, as governments keep insisting in perverting law, and turning law abiding citizens into "criminals". The dystopian futures often told in science fiction are unsustainable, and are this is why they are more prevalent in fiction than they are in reality.

While there will be many who will acquiesce, there always are, because complexity is unsustainable, there will be many who acquiesced who will feel the sting of unsustainable complexity, and where they first acquiesced, they will eventually rebel and join those who have all ready rebelled, and the fools who thought they could control the masses, will at some point discover that fools can not outwit a majority of angry people fed up with tyranny.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

You might not be dreaming. I would like a society like that too. But I do have a feeling that before we get there, we are going to have to walk through some serious ugliness first.

Good thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join