It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

edible rice that does not need to be cooked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Agricultural scientists in India say they have developed a variety of rice that requires no cooking and can be eaten simply after being soaked in water.

the above is a link for a video, i believe by the ap, that i found while browsing yahoo news

it is a byproduct of the green movement

it is a rice that can be grown that does not have to be cooked like the title and the quote says

they say it simply has to soak in water at room temperature for 45 minutes to be edible

they say this will lower the use of fossil fuels and a few other "green" things

interesting video on an even more interesting story

i feel it is interesting because this is a lower yielding rice during growth, but it is supposedly more green

will this be embraced by a culture where money rules?

i also find this interesting considering what is taking place in haiti

they need food, many are given rice, even though clean water and fuel are scare, this is a potential food source that would eliminate the problems of needing access to clean cooking water and fuel to cook

this could significantly improve hunger problems in economically poor areas, i just wonder if they will find a way to make it cost effective for those who need it

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Remember, though, that many of these people need to boil their water before drinking. The act of soaking this rice in normal water will not solve the major problem of tainted/dirty/diseased water.

So ... back to the drawing board Green Guys.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Is this something developed by Monsanto?

From what I read Monsanto has taken over most of the farms in India and some horrible things have happened there.

I read that the toxicity of the chemicals used in their crops killed many Indian farmers and was originally passed off as "suicide" because the chemicals permeated their skin and because it gave off odors in their breath, it was assumed they had all drank some poison.

Since in the US Monsanto seed has been blown around and contaminated farms where the seed was not planted, then I wonder if any "natural" grain being grown in India has met with Monsanto disasters like that, too.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

And they can sell their patented rice.....that nobody needs.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I dont get it. If I leave rice, any rice, in water for long enough it bloats and becomes soft. Not that room temp rice is very appealing.

Am I missing something here? It just bloats 'faster'?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

I think Alethea is onto something ... GM rice ... with Monsanto pulling the strings behind the scenes.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
All long grain rice I know of...does not need to be cooked.

Thtas the reasoning for survival use and bulk supplies.

My high school friend owns/operates a cashew chicken joint"20 years now", and they don't cook rice, its left to soak overnight in room temp water, then when needed its flash fried.

Not saying there is not some new version out there, just that rice has never needed to be boiled or steamed as long as time is not an issue, it just takes a lil longer.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Remember, though, that many of these people need to boil their water before drinking. The act of soaking this rice in normal water will not solve the major problem of tainted/dirty/diseased water.

So ... back to the drawing board Green Guys.
Star that! I wouldn't want to eat uncooked rice that was grown in a third world country that uses untreated human waste as fertilizer.
Or cooked, now that I think about it a little more!

[edit on 9-2-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
regarding the situation about still needing to boil the dirty water for the rice

that is true

however

in aid missions like are taking place in haiti they could be provided clean water, so now instead of having to work on water and fuel infrastructure simultaneously, they could give out sufficient water with the rice and they wouldnt have to worry about boiling it, just set the rice in there and eat when ready without having to use any fuel

it may put a larger burden on clean water distribution, but it would lower the burden on fuel distribution

it would also mean less pots and pans needed for cooking

just clean water and rice in a bowl, wait, then eat

to respond to what many have said about all rice being edible uncooked, i did not realize that, so it would be interesting to know further details on what the actual differences are between this "new" rice and all the rest

top topics

join