It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a "positive" thread section. Please read.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I've been on this site for about 5 years now. I check it almost everyday to get an alternate view on news and to see what is going on that the MSM does not discuss.

Most of what comes from this site is criticism. After all it is a conspiracy website but, I also think we should have a whole section dedicated to people, events, stories, ect that are conspiring for good. Good things are happening all around us right along side the bad, but sometimes we can be overwhelmed by the bad.

I've been recently reading a famous book called How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie (He was born into poverty not into the famous American Family). The whole basis of the book is to retract criticism for more motivation and encouragement. We all know the world is changing, faster every year and not necessarily for the better either. There have been movements to try to slow or reverse the process but they have not been successful enough and almost all have one thing in common, a lot of criticism; of people, policies, wars, ect. We can all point the finger at the sheep or one's who are still "asleep" but that's not going to get a positive movement anywhere. Instead of identifying all the bad that happens lets also show the good. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to click on a section of purely positive news and discussion for once on this site? It seems all we have on here is, look here! look at what is happening now! We are doomed!!!!

Think about it. Site lurkers, browsers, power users, moderators, and owners.

*Snip*

Yours truly,
DarkStar

Removed Torrent Link
Please do not promote file sharing on ATS

[edit on 2/9/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I agree, positive news is wonderful and we all need it once in a while.

However, you can find those things on other websites. Personally, I like the satire at cracked.com myself, but there's a plethora to choose from.

People come to ATS to read about conspiracies, to find answers, or to join in discussions. I don't think they come here for a laugh (at least, the majority don't:@@

Having said that, while I agree with your sentiments, I believe you'll have to find your positive news elsewhere....but if you do find a great website, let us know!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkStar86

I agree that positive thought can help people out. The problem is that pure positive thought without reason can be detrimental. If you want that just go to the MSM, sure they have negative stories, but they also flood you with positive stories, especially when talking about politicians or causes that they support. The problem is that when you rely on hope without a pragmatic reason to expect a positive outcome you are essentially sitting back and letting the world go to hell instead of demanding a logical action that would produce a positive outcome.

In my opinion ATS is about facts not fluff. What i mean by this is that the purpose of the site is not to give a morale boost but to find truth. By all means post news stories or other threads that are positive, I am happy when i see threads on here that give me hope for the future and i would like to see more. The problem is that they must exist first, you can't just create them.

Additionally it would be great to have a section for positive news, the problem is that on ATS and increasingly in politics in general there is extreme polarization. What looks like a win for one side is lunatics spouting nonsense to the other side.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Thanks all. Let me be clear the thread would not be about fluff. It would be all fact as much as it could be. Facts that pertain to the positive things that are happening. It would allow us to identify who needs our support more than ever. We can all point the finger at the bad man but when it comes to supporting the good guy all we do is criticize every person trying to do anything positive. For example this idea. There is not much negative effects a thread like this would have, any would be out weighed by the positive ones. The best way to rid the world of darkness is with light. To focus on the positive. We all know that one person, all they do is think negatively and all the receive is negativity. We also all know that one person who is always positive. Sure that person may get tricked and used sometimes for always being positive but in most cases that positive thinking pays off.

Lets keep this debate going people. This is what forums, the internet and ATS is about!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Being that laughter is indeed a positive in most cases...and if merely to break the monotony of the everyday negative, I direct your attention to this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Being that laughter is indeed a positive in most cases...and if merely to break the monotony of the everyday negative, I direct your attention to this thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks, I've read it. But can we please stay on topic. This is a serious issue.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStar86
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to click on a section of purely positive news and discussion for once on this site?

Ok, first of all let me say that I agree and relate to the beautiful sentiment you are trying to convey ... however I don't think you have completely thought it through as far as feasibility in a forum setting or for that matter in real life itself.

Positive/Negative are first and foremost relative mental conceptual constructs, and as such are by definition completely subjective and open to interpretation. That is to say on a practical level, there are two relative parties involved. The author of the thread, and the audience.
First of all there's no way for me to ascertain an OP's intent ... sure, some threads such as this one might be easier than others but for most of them it is next to impossible, and quite frankly, not of the utmost relevance.

What you may think, or what your intent is, when you author a thread or write a post might well not be perceived that way from the reader .... and there are thousands of readers each with their own interpretation. Furthermore, some people interpret the harsh cut of the truth to be a positive thing, whereas others are quick to blame the messenger who delivers it to them.

This post of mine might be a prime example ... my intent is earnest and positive, but you (or someone else) might interpret it as negative. It is simply neither possible or imho desirable to define positivity/negativity in this setting. In fact one could easily perceive your post above this one as a negative reaction to another members helpful intent. I'm not saying that you were being negative, I'm just using the example to highlight the fundamental problem in your reasoning. In the end, who would determine if something is positive enough to be the "positive" forum?

All that is within our individual control is how we choose to express ourselves, to speak or not to speak, and to be accountable for which place within us what we communicate comes from. The only way to bring "positivity" on ATS or again life itself is to let it live amongst all other living things, not to seclude it in a box.

In the end, and once again reaffirming my acknowledgment and respect of your motivation behind authoring this thread ... I would humbly suggest that the only change required to remedy your frustration, as all other available remedies, lies within you. Expectations being the building blocks of disappointment, perhaps a calibration of said personal expectations of positivity is to be considered.

There's really no need to look at things as positive or negative ... I mean you can, many people choose to call rain "bad" weather. But that doesn't make rain "bad" as rain has no inherent nature, it's just that they've taken a personal position, and by doing so have availed themselves of much unnecessary suffering.

Edit to add that all of the above is obviously merely my personal take on the matter ... should you desire a response from staff on your suggestion, it might also be helpful to post your thoughts here: ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?

[edit on 10 Feb 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank you for your well put together and thoughtful post. You are absolutely correct. Perception is everything in judgement of whether something is positive or negative. I am very glad you brought this point up, for it makes even more sense to have a positive only section on this site due to its common perceptions. In the bell curve, the majority of this site there is a particular perception. Deny ignorance and individual freedom. Whatever goes against those is viewed as negative. There are so many cases of infringement of those beliefs there is an organized system to categorize them.

Balance is the key to just about everything. From life, relationships, health, work, nature. This site is out of balance and must be brought back. As a site dedicated to bring fourth truth and freedom it must have a section dedicated to bringing light to the topics that are helping that movement, not just identifying what is going against it. Not only will it help balance the site it will also encourage viewers to see the positive motions in their everyday lives just as this site encourages them to see the motions that go against truth and freedom in their everyday lives.

In conclusion I invite all of you to keep this subject matter going. Bring up some ideas we have missed so far. Give us your perception. Participate not only for yourself but for others. Everyone has a unique take on anything and everything.

Also I am no writer by any means. So if you are confused on an idea that I am trying to express please ask questions. It will clear up and confusion you may have and help me practice better writing.

Thanks,

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
75% of the posting here is not driven by curiosity, love or joy but by other Emotions.

Focussing too much on fear, hatred, anger, indignation, hurt, blame is ultimately deterimental to ones psyche, body and ability to make positive change.

Therefore, many conspiracy-theorists who are hoping to beat "the powers that be" are actually playing into their hands without even knowing it.

Fear and Hatred are the quickest paths to the dark-side. If this or any other site were all about Love, Joy, Intelligence, Self-Empowerment, Knowledge, Freedom, Prosperity it would hurt those "powers that be" the most.

Projecting negative-vibes hurts oneself the most. The reason it is difficult to convey this to the majority is because they got off on negative-feelings. They are programmed to get off on negativity through the media. Once these negative-vibes spin out of control they lead to physical violence and eventually war.

Be wary of the first piece of deception down to the dark side, which is

"What is positive and negative is only relative, only a matter of perception"
(no offense to the previous poster S-Dog).

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkStar86

I'd like to think I got lot from Carnegie's book.
But, is it a positive book as far as world-view is concerned?
He actually describes a very negative world of damaged egos, lonely old people and mini-emperors, and how we can impress (and sometimes con) these people with positive compliments, apologies, and feigning awe and empathy.
To my memory he even mentions how some stranger won the inheritence of an elderly widow by seeming interested, while her distant family got nothing.
When some top people claim to be from impoverished roots my alarm bells start ringing - even Donald Trump keeps claiming this ("I'm not lucky sperm").

Perhaps we should have a Pollyanna forum. But on the excellent Dale Carnegie book, I find it highly Satanic, and for me that's very positive.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Be wary of the first piece of deception down to the dark side, which is

"What is positive and negative is only relative, only a matter of perception"
(no offense to the previous poster S-Dog).

Indeed, and I agree with what you are saying, but just to clarify ... what I was trying to convey was not that perception defines positive or negative intent, or positivity/negativity itself, but rather that perception often misidentifies them.

For example, and it's interesting that you made the notation in parenthesis, for if you hadn't it wouldn't have changed your inherent positive intent on the above post. But the notation was presumably for the purpose of me (and others) not misidentifying said intent.

In the context of a forum (and life), one cannot account for others' interpretation or misinterpretation of one's intent ... indeed their own interpretation much depends on what place of positivity/negativity they happen to be at any particular moment.

I think we are saying the same thing.

[edit on 10 Feb 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread, - this gives me hope. So them let's post "good news". How wanna start?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Isn't positive vs negative relative, like good vs evil?
One person's "good" and positive may be another person's "evil" and negative.
For me a positive story may be that same-sex marriage just got legalized in 50 US states. I doubt everyone would share my optimistic joy at the prospect.
Perhaps a really, anoyingly positive person like Ned Flanders on the Simpsons would smile that it was "unGodly", but still "diddly-dangly".

[edit on 10-2-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Are you saying that this site is negative? Yes it is very critical of Christianity, had you noticed there are no Christian here? Guess why. So much for tolerance. The only thing I see is people pushing them out and giving their free for all interpretations of Revelation. Not exactly deep.

new topics

top topics

join