It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your Faith Real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I Used to study NLP Hypnosis, I could induce feelings of euphoria ect. End of the day Hypnosis returns void but God's words do not return void.

At the time a Meditation Guru was trying to convince me to go to India to study, I realised how easy it would be to become a Guru using these techniques. I realised just how meaningless and void it all was. India is not a place of spiritual enlightenment and powerful mystics it is a land of Idolitrous Conmen who exploit the devotees with devestating poverty as a result. Such a clear picture is given in scripture of just how this happens.

Here is a video in which Derren Brown poses as a great spiritual teacher.
Some people might feel uncomfortable watching it because they might question their faith. I felt relieved that this stuff was coming out in the open because this is what led me to get saved. I had to realise how phony religion could be in order to understand that Jesus was the only way.

Here is the start of the series, beware the guy is a complete devil in disguise, but it might show you how the future anti-christ will work, and just how a new world religion can be established, as the scripture says it will happen. (Bearing in mind Derren Brown is just one man with a small budget and camera crew.)

If it makes you question your faith so be it.
2Cr 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
You completely missed the point of what Derren Brown was doing.

I watched that show. He isn't a devil in disguise. He's an illusionist, a trickster and manipulates people using NLP techniques, slight of hand and the predictability of people living in a society. He regularily admits there's no magic involved. And he does it for entertainment, not because he's trying to bring the establishments down from within or start his own cult following.

The point of his show was to illustrate how people do not question the very important things in their lives, like their faith or belief structures. They instead merrily accept them like dopey sheep.

He said at the beginning of the program that if anyone asked him if it was a trick or if he was lying to them, he would say yes it was a trick and yes, he is lying to them.

And no one did. Not when he pretended to be an alien abductee-faith healer, or the religion converter or any of the other 4 things he also did.

*That's* was the point. And it's so very, very sad. But highly amusing

[edit on 9-2-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
There is a certain quality of honesty that I respect in brown, he doesn't obscure the fact that he is a charlatan, and the deviousness of his devices.

This can be compared with an incident when I went into a book store and a Satanist looked at the satanic bible and started talking about how awesome it was. Then I read a book called "Jesus" by Deepok Chopra from that same book store which basically had the same message as the satanic bible, but instead was presented in a more deceitful manner.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Derren Brown is a stage magician. How could anything he does be relevant to somebody's religious faith?

Every word out of his mouth serves one purpose: to create the illusion he gets paid to create. Mostly, that illusion is that he has something to do with what his subjects do, that his "knowledge of psychology" allows him to cause things to happen. Uh, huh.

No, his knowledge of psychology allows him to estimate what percentage of his subjects will do each of the various possible things in the situation. His knowledge of stagecraft, which these days includes the art of tape editing, will direct the audience's attention to some subjects, and away from those who did less interesting things.

As in all theater, the audience does at least half the work. Derren has the benefit of an audience rich with guys who think that if they tell a girl that their nickname is Rick, then the girl will fall into bed with them, because Rick rhymes with another nickname for Richard. Hey, that's not woo, that's science!

Wow. If you believe that, then what won't you believe? How are Indians so far behind because some of them believe in "pictures that drip honey" gurus?

(Obviously, generations of exploitation by an Imperial power is irrelevant to the material situation of India. Clearly, the main problem is home-grown bogus gurus. Right... and then the girl tells "Rick" that her name is Regina, pronounced in the Canadian style, and ...)

I like Derren Brown, because he is a good entertainer. What can be learned from him is theater. No small thing, theater. Not really psychology, though, and not spirituality, either. Especially not anything about Indian spirituality.

Nice thread, though. Foe flagged.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
Derren Brown is a stage magician. How could anything he does be relevant to somebody's religious faith?

I'm just going to quote this part. Why? because you answered this question with the rest of your post.

Priests and stage magicians are the same thing, with one crucial difference. people don't go home believing that David Copperfield should dictate how they live their life, under the authority of the invisible statue of liberty.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
When you open a package of cheese or a can of soup you are
going by faith that the manufacturer won't poison you.

When you eat at a restauramt or stay at a hotel you are going by
faith that the people will not poison you-even though several people
have died from food poisoning from restaurants.

The people in Minneapolis who drove over the bridge that collapsed
had faith the bridge was going to deliver them to the other side.

So much of our lives relies on faith not just religion.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Originally posted by eight bits

I'm just going to quote this part. Why? because you answered this question with the rest of your post.

Priests and stage magicians are the same thing, with one crucial difference. people don't go home believing that David Copperfield should dictate how they live their life, under the authority of the invisible statue of liberty.

Yes this is what Jesus warns us against, people need to extracate the simple and true Gospel from charlatans and "lying signs and wonders". In Browns case everyone knows he is a trickster, if anyones faith is based on such trickery they are decieved.

Let me be clear, I believe Gods word, I believe in Jesus 100% But you have to test the spirits to see whether they are of God and judge all things.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by StopComplaining

"But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched bewitchedG1839 the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.

And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceriesG3095 ."

"And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God."

ἐξίστημι
existēmi
ex-is'-tay-mee
From G1537 and G2476; to put (stand) out of wits, that is, astound, or (reflexively) become astounded, insane: - amaze, be (make) astonished, be beside self (selves), bewitch, wonder.

G3095
μαγεία
mageia
mag-i'-ah
From G3096; “magic”: - sorcery.

top topics

join