It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pope is worried about America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I want to give it to this man. Even though i hold the view that the church has a "ugly"past this pope is at least trying to rectify it wrongs, past and present. I guess that is the first step to facing the reality even if that means taking a imitmate look at you own religion.

John Paul added: "An effective proclamation of the Gospel in contemporary Western society will need to confront directly the widespread spirit of agnosticism and relativism which has cast doubt on reason's ability to know the truth, which alone satisfies the human heart's restless quest for meaning."

I think this is a very important quote becasue it calls on the church in it's self to kinda come into the "modern" age. Explore all the parts of Christian faith. But it's kind of hard to ponder on spritual things when your life is so materialstic. He is worried that americans live a "soulless" life and he is right!!!!(Not just america but much of the world right now) A lot of us have fallen victim to this in one way or another. We all want to get money cause most of us are in debt. And it makes it worse when we see on the idiot box that all the men with money don't have bebt and get all the women.

My question to you all is how do we break free from being slaves of the material world? Is it like he said "reason's ablity to know the truth". I am now starting to see that truth is a ugly thing. Especally when a Conspiracy hides the "truth" from you. Mabey it's hidden from us becuase a majority of us can't handle it. Many walk around this world trying to make others acknowledge their existance with the lables and materials that they obtain. In a way they try to say that i am this and I have that. Trying to make it a truth. I think this is the down fall of man and I hope it gets better soon.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think he is right to be concerned. We know that the Catholic heriarchy is as corrupt as a three week old dog turd, but the Pope seems to be trying to combat that as well as the materialistic world.

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the Marian Prophecies (in particular Fatima, Medjugorje and Garabandal). These prophecies point towards serious problems for humanity if they don't get their act together.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

We all want to get money cause most of us are in debt. And it makes it worse when we see on the idiot box that all the men with money don't have bebt and get all the women.

sounds to me like you're a little envious of those that have material wealth. are you attempting to find the truth? because if that is the case, you shouldn't start by being envious. rather you should start by accepting and attempting to understand the the world around you. materialism has been around for ages, it's kind of like saying sexuality is the downfall of mankind. sure western culture has it's downsides, but it's one thing for the catholic church to speak, when just looking at the vatican is a perfect example for contradiction. i understand that you give credit to the pope for what he is attempting to do, but there are so many other ways which he could do t help the world, instead of just talking. words are words, not actions.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm worried about the Pope, is he in any shape to be mustering all that energy ?

Everyone is worried about America and the path that western society is leading us towards.

Pope just joined the club

Deep

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Pisky,

You are right on target!
I know I'll get flamed but, that's fine. America is at a crossroads and it seems we're taking the wrong path. It may be the path much of Europe took quite a while ago. Right now it seems that the third world countries are carrying the ball and taking the road less travelled. It seems that as we prosper we lose our reliance on God and think we don't need Him - we can do it on our own - Wrong!!!

Our greed will be our demise! Greed can encompass just about any desire and we sure seem to have more than most. Scripture tells us not to adore idols. Many think of golden calfs and other pagan items. When we start to adore the gods of niceness, tolerance, acceptance and others, we've lost. While we should be loving and accepting, we must testify to the truth. What's right is right, what's wrong is wrong, we cannot worship pagan idols at the expense of testifying to the truth. We cannot judge or condemn, but rather correct and instruct and welcome people back to the truth.

OK Pisky. You opened the door, I walked in - I must believe strongly in what I said, let the flaming begin!!
CS

BTW, I don't mean from you Pisky!

[Edited on 5/28/2004 by CommonSense]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
No flame! I think the Pope has relied on the US for a long time! He like coming here. The John Paul II Center is here!

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I found the truth out a long time ago... I have felt pity for every decent human that is affected by this disease of greed...

Although, we have a slight quandry here... I could conceivably, be considered greedy and materialistic. I am always greedy for more knowledge. I want ALOT of things (alot of machinery for making art and other projects). I also want the world to be a good place, like I want it (people living by moral law rather than sheepishly doing exactly as they are told by a group of control freaks). Greed is relative, but it is neccesary for human survival. If it comes down to me and another guy fighting to the death, we are both greedy because we both want life (moralistic law pretty much makes fighting counterproductive because there is always a loss in the end).

When I broke away from society to observe, I found the truth of everything. The biggest truth that I've found is that probably about 80% of the human race are vile, nasty, filthy beings. I'm talking morals here, not physical. When I walk by people and 'feel' what they are, I am disgusted most of the time. It suprises me at how many people are really incapable of feeling compassion for anything other than what they 'hold dear'... more of that filthy greed! That is the greed that disgusts me. Why is your child's life any more precious than any other childrens' lives? People would rather stand witness to thousands of others dying (even by the hand of their own child!) than know that they will never get to see their child again. Really, it doesn't make sense to me, but then again killing eachother doesn't either. Even though the other side is using weapons instead of brains, if you use weapons and sink to their level, you will only lose to what you were fighhting against anyways.

Really, I know alot of americans who are like me... and I am always happy just meeting them in passing... it makes me feel that the odds are a bit better, and I know I have an ally when the 'time' comes to pull together. Controlled people in large groups is a scary thing, but I believe that peace will open their eyes... and believe me, peace can rear it's ugly head in a most ferocious manner when it needs to... we just need to know it alot better to be able to use it against something like guns, tanks, and nukes, and being outnumbered.

I think the Pope is trying to do what's right because he is dying and finally realized that everything hfe's done and stood for in his life hasn't been entirely good. I think he's finally realized 'peace' as a working idealogy rather than the illusion of peace as everyone just getting along. I think this is his 'confession stage'... where you come to peace with the world and everything you've ever wanted to know comes to you and you realize that you really are insignificant in the scheme of things and realize your downfalls and come to grips with what you have done. I wouldn't be suprised in the least if he tries for full disclosure of the church's wrongs before he dies... of course, as soon as he started there would be an assassination. Also, if anyone got wind of his intentions, he may 'die peacefully in his sleep'. I think he's gonna try, though... even if he can get enough out to crach the shell of this false reality.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Earthscum, I've looked at your response. It will take some reading and whatever. I'll post a reply within 48 hours.
CS

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think the pope should be put to rest, I think he is being force to stay alive because is not body to take his place.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Materialism does not stop at material greed. America, like the rest of the Western world, suffers from humanism, or the worship of humans. It isn't the pursuit of money or material items alone, but also the casting aside of God's spiritual laws for the pursuit of physical pleasure.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I think the pope should be put to rest, I think he is being force to stay alive because is not body to take his place.

Anyone know off the top of their head when our current pope came to power? I don't, but I agree with your statement, marge. The Vatican cannot find a satisfactory replacement for him because the world is simply too materialistic. Not a good enough person spiritually can be found. Oh well, welcome to the 21st century brought to you by a hell of a lot of bumbling incompetance and general strife. Enjoy your stay!

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
NothingMakesSense

Don't be like that, life is what you make out of it, it can be the best thing or you can make as miserable as you feel. Don't let the rest of the world get to you.

I am not preaching, just a friendly coment.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Don't be like that, life is what you make out of it, it can be the best thing or you can make as miserable as you feel. Don't let the rest of the world get to you.

Just some humor. I don't actually believe any of that. In fact, I hardly believe any of the crap I post.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Got me worry for a moment.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Industrial diesease! What was that song about industrial disease? It seems that every is coming down with it.

Arkaleus

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I believe that Karol Wojtyla became Pope in 1978.
And I also agree with him and many others that the greed and materialism of humanity will eventually cause our downfall. If the pope is willing to stand up against it, then he has my blessing.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing

We all want to get money cause most of us are in debt. And it makes it worse when we see on the idiot box that all the men with money don't have bebt and get all the women.

sounds to me like you're a little envious of those that have material wealth. are you attempting to find the truth? because if that is the case, you shouldn't start by being envious. rather you should start by accepting and attempting to understand the the world around you. materialism has been around for ages, it's kind of like saying sexuality is the downfall of mankind. sure western culture has it's downsides, but it's one thing for the catholic church to speak, when just looking at the vatican is a perfect example for contradiction. i understand that you give credit to the pope for what he is attempting to do, but there are so many other ways which he could do t help the world, instead of just talking. words are words, not actions.

I agree that words are not better than action. And no I am not envious of thoses who have wealth I was just pointing out what a majority of people beleive. People will do anything to rise up that corrprate ladder. I despise money yet to live in country you have to have it in order to survive. And no I am not attempting to find the truth any more. I actually wish i could change my name since I have leaned that the prsuit of truth can lead one to the darkest pasts of humanity. That includes hate and greed.

Originally posted by CommonSense

Our greed will be our demise! Greed can encompass just about any desire and we sure seem to have more than most. Scripture tells us not to adore idols. Many think of golden calfs and other pagan items. When we start to adore the gods of niceness, tolerance, acceptance and others, we've lost. While we should be loving and accepting, we must testify to the truth. What's right is right, what's wrong is wrong, we cannot worship pagan idols at the expense of testifying to the truth. We cannot judge or condemn, but rather correct and instruct and welcome people back to the truth.

I think it a little to late for Americans to stop adoring idols when you have a show named American Idol that encompasses all that you talked about.

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Materialism does not stop at material greed. America, like the rest of the Western world, suffers from humanism, or the worship of humans. It isn't the pursuit of money or material items alone, but also the casting aside of God's spiritual laws for the pursuit of physical pleasure.

I could not of said it better myself TC hence American Idol.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by DaTruth]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
DaTruth,
If you recognize DaTruth, dosen't it just make CommonSense to make the changes in your life to live DaTruth and not be a doubting Thomas but someone who is preparing his eternal Crowne?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Yes, greed and evvy, hatred and all the other negatives are part of everyday existence around here. Just try to keep out of it yourself if at all possible.

There is nothing wrong with being paid for a days honest work, or saving up for your needs in old age. Honest money (gold and silver) are Gods gifts to mankind as a convenient medium of exchange, and store of value. Nothing wrong with money at all. Nothing wrong with saving money either.

The great evil comes with borrowing and loaning money, and the charging of interest (usury). If we had no banking system at all, and honest money circulated, with no debts or credit, the world would be a far happier place.

The problem arises when people place money before everything else. It is as simple as that.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
WS,
I feel the real problem is when we become a slave to money and idolize it. Whether it's money or anything else, that's when we get into trouble.
CS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join