It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC dismisses 'ludicrous' China pressure claim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

ABC dismisses 'ludicrous' China pressure claim

www.abc.net.au

ABC managing director Mark Scott says suggestions that the ABC decided not to screen a controversial film about Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer because of pressure from China are "ludicrous".

The film's producer, John Lewis, has told the Australian newspaper that the ABC told him the film was scheduled to show on December 17 last year.

"If I were to be asked, is the ABC kowtowing to China for some reason, I'd say I don't know but it looks awfully like it," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This news article is referring to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.I only became aware of this in the last couple of days,and to say the least I'm a bit concerned that an external political force MAY be influencing our national broadcaster.

Now its no news to me that any media can be used for (shock,horror!) a nations propaganda effort,but even a hint of external pressure to remove content from a government funded broadcaster is starting to ring some pretty wild alarms for me.

Sure China denied it,but where is my documentary now?

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is serious stuff.

The ABC denies any pressure from Beijing,but yet the documentary that was meant to air last year still hasn't made an appearance,and hasn't been rescheduled to air this year.

To scared to anger a customer methinks.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This sounds very interesting. Im trying to follow what your saying but what exactly are you inferring??

"In the Jungle there were 13 lost souls, they were hungry and had no food to eat... 12 of them were scavenging the land... looking to quench their thirst and hunger. There was one man however who wasnt doing anything but watching, everyone noticed him and began to be angered by his "lazyness" as he watched he studied not only the group but what they were doing and where they were looking. After a while everyone else got tired of searching and took a break... they were calling him names and insulting him... He looked at them and smiled, As he walked over to a nearby tree there were some nuts on the ground. He showed them and said these are edible, here you go. They gladly ate them. When they got done eating their nuts they began scouring the land again. Nobody noticed but the quiet man dissappeared off into the jungle, when they found him he was swimming in a fairly decent sized creek. They asked him... How did you find all this? He told them, I watched the natural flow of the land, I saw the trees, what they contained and what wildlife thrived near them. While you were all panicing, I was studying the land, seeing what was really out there. Sometimes if you just sit back and watch, you will notice that the anwsers are all around you, said the man."

My point? I dont think yo uwill find the answers you are looking for in the article... you are going to have to do your own research, do some studying. It is very rare that a person with something to lose will tell everyone what he has to lose... instead he will disquise it and get everyone to help him achieve his goals. Just watch my friend... just watch. The eyes will see the information and it cannot be flawed unless you have bad vision. But if you mix in false information your mind will put pieced together that dont completely add up. Its like those puzzle pieces that almost fit... but arent quite right. We are all in a giant puzzle... whatever the case... again... Use your eyes.. and watch.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
...anyways...

I don't think it would be beyond China's reach to pull the plug on a documentary - however I'm pretty sure in this case it's all about the director getting into trouble with someone who has the power to pull his film.

Manically artistic type seems the most likely explanation.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Heh what a laugh, I think this was the same doco we had air on our 'Maori TV' channel here in New Zealand about a 7 months ago. They play alot of indigenous doco's and the like, extremely good tv station.

Thing is I think the Chinese embassy did its best to get them to pull it as well, they didnt succeed and Maori TV played it, but they did have a disclaimer at the beginning if i remember correctly, so that may have been a compromise (reminds me of when McDonalds payed to have a narrated disclaimer at the end of the network premier of 'Super Size Me' when it played on TV in my country as well).

I think that same week the Rebiya Kadeer doco was on they also played a doco about the ethnic riots they had in that area around the same time, which the Chinese whinged over as well.

EDIT:- Oh hell what was i thinking ABC... AUSTRALIAN, not American... I apologies for that mix up, nothing like making yourself look stupid

Heh removed the comment i made that was errr, in error

[edit on 9-2-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
ABC buckled on China doco, says producer

www.abc.net.au...

"The producer of a controversial documentary about Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer says the ABC told him it decided against screening the film last December because it wanted "things to settle down a bit".

ABC News Online has obtained an email from an ABC television executive to the film's producer John Lewis, which suggests that a screening date was scheduled, but then dropped."

Oops.ABC caught out in a lie by itself? Heh,there is no factional infighting to see here folks.

top topics

join