It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, France urge new sanctions against Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

US, France urge new sanctions against Iran

www.abc.net.au

The United States and France are vowing to push for fresh United Nations sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program.

Iran has announced it is going to enrich uranium to a higher level, which in theory means it is moving closer to being able to produce nuclear weapons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So the ante gets upped again.Iran will be enriching its uranium from 5% to 20%.

Iran's rebuttal as it has always been,is that the fuel is for domestic power production only,and has reinitialized discussions on the export of spent fuel rods.

Buts as the report states,the US is a tad pissed that Iran is demonstrating its know-how to enrich uranium to a higher grade,thus clearly proving that,with time could produce enough fissionable material for a warhead.

Its my personal belief that Iran was going to do this regardless of "international" pressure.On one hand,it demonstrates its nuclear ability to its citizens,and on the other extends its disdain towards external "meddling" in its nuclear projects.

I'm no big fan of nuclear energy in its present state of development,due to the fact of it may be clean now,but the spent rods are just a problem that wont go away.
(unless you refine them some more,duct-tape it to a missile and make it an other countries problem)

What can i say apart from grab some irradiated popcorn,sit back and watch the next exiting episode of : All My Atoms!

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
These round of sanctions are an obvious "joke" without the "haha" punchline....

They, USrael/NATO, just needed to say one final time....
"Hey, listen world... We tried."

/Notkiddingthistime.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Yea,its a foregone conclusion(to me),that this is the "seen to be done" scenario,that is required so no more face is lost (if that is possible) to the rest of the international community.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wow more sanctions...our president is such a strong and commanding personality....god what did we do before we had old BO? This man in one year has seen our economy completely turn to crap, increased our national debt by trillions, apologized to the entire world for our actions in keeping them free, demoralized our military by enforcing ridicules rules of engagement in the battlefields, helped devalue our dollar to record lows, brought us into an era of record unemployment, increased the size of government to record numbers of employees, bought everyone a new car and given them cash for their clunkers, given everyone that wanted a new house more of our money to help them realize their dreams on our dimes...the list goes on and on and on...so what will he do this Feb. 11th? Nothing, probably take yet another opulent vacation in Airforce One while he tells us to watch our spending habits, or smoke something while telling us we have to quit for the environment's sake, or tell us to save for retirement and adjust our personal budgets while he spends spends spends and increases our national debt. God what an amazing president this one is. I just want to personally thank all those who voted for this moron and chief who calls our service men "corp-s men"...god he can't even call them by their name. Thank you to all who chanted "yes we can" and I just want to say "you sure did!" Thanks to you all who voted with your emotions and not your heads, we have probably what will turn out to be one of the worst presidents in history, we'll have record debt the likes we have never seen, and we won't be the defender of the free anymore in the world because our presence will be a joke, our leaders will be jokes, and our reputation will be destroyed.

CHANGE HAS TRULY COME....GOD HELP US ALL.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

If you want to cast BO as a modern Chamberlain, I personally don't think you'd be far off the mark..

As for sanctions, unless the punch from Iran this week is a fruit flavoured one, I am not sure what will happen..

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Ooooooh, Scary!

Well, not really. Iran has, for quite some time, been a supplier of medical isotopes, specifically Uranium enriched between the 5 - 20% mark.
So, this is not anything new, and something that has been known about for a long time now. Of course, reporting it as some new "smoking gun" development for consumption by an unknowing public is nothing but alarmist junk. The government knows it, and so too would any journalist with an ounce of common sense and a little bit of research.

So, the ramping up of scare stories about Iranian "Nuke" research, the moving of Israeli warships through the Suez canal - joining the Sub they sent through some time ago - all points to one thing only. There is then all the stockpiling of US minitions in Israel, that the US graciously says Israel can use - just like they did before "Cast Lead".
It doesn't really matter what Iran does or says, or what evidence, or more importantly lack of, exists - Iran is gonna get hit. Once again, it is Isreal and it's bought and paid for western politicians who are to attack another nation who are not a threat, but whom Israel wants removed to make them the number 1 in the region. After Iran, probably Syria and Lebanon, and I'm sure we'll all get suckered into that one as well. After all, can't have the chosen doing their own dirty work and paying for it all.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Britguy]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Iran's bombshell statement is that they will be selling their oil in euros instead of dollars. This is the reason we went into Iraq and it will be the reason we go into Iran. It has nothing to do with nuclear weapons or uranium.

You don't mess with US dollar hegemony and expect to get away with it. War is coming. And ANY attack on Iran no matter how trivial or insignificant it may seem will wreak havoc on the world psyche and the US economy. And don't expect the Iranians to just sit back and watch all their hardwork be destroyed.

Personally I wish the US and Israel would get this over with. We've been talking about this for how many years? It's becoming a boy that cries wolf scenario. US needs to show some backbone or backoff. We have to much to worry about in our own country than to spend all this time, energy, money on Iran. It's getting ridiculous and becoming a joke. They are not a threat to us anyways and if Europe and Israel are concerned let them deal with it.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Aint gonna happen. Yesterday, I made a thread about three war games conducted at Harvard, Tel Aviv and the Brookings Institution all indicated that:

-The United States could not get any meaningful support for sanctions.
-The United States did not obtain meaningful cooperation from other countries.
-Sanctions did not seem to work.
-At game's end, Iran continued its nuclear program, neither persuaded nor deterred.

Without Chinese and Russian support, these sanctions are not gonna work.

thread

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The French have been involved in this from the begging. They seem to want to keep their monopoly on producing Nuclear power and are threatened by a nation that has so much trade in oil already.

The SCO itself and it's foray into energy is the cause of this conflict. NPT is just an excuse and not a very good one.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
No one seems concerned that Israel has enough nukes to wipe Iran of the face of the planet, never had any Inspectors to check on their stockpile and have broken more UN laws than the rest of the world put together.

Iran hasn't attacked a country for 300 years, so will you be supporting an Attack on Iran? Why would Iran attack Israel knowing it would mean the end of their civilization, that has been around for thousands of years.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

For years, I have been on the Iranian side. In fact, I thought it would be good if Iran would balance the power of the regions' only superpower: Israel. I thought it would stop them from acting lawlessly, and even though I believe that Iran would never directly attack Israel, the chance that these nuclear weapons end up in terrorist hands such as Hamas, is too risky, which is why we must do everything to prevent this from happening.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

What nuclear weapons?
Where is the evidence of nuclear weapons? Bottom line is, there is no evidence of a nuclear weapons programme. On top of that, Iran is in compliance with the NPT, and is informing the IAEA of any developments, as they are required to do so.
They have had inspection after inspection, as part of an ongoing verification process, more than any other signatory has had to do.
The allegations by Israel and the US have all proved to be baseless and do not stand up to any casual scrutiny.

So, when we know our own governments have used the same, or similar, lies to attack another nation not so very long ago, are we supposed to just blindly support them again this time? I think not!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Placing sanctions on a country is not done for the reasons you think. It's not a "punishment" because sanctions never, ever affect the people in charge. If you'll recall Madeline Albright's famous statement about the Iraq sanctions?

Rather, sanctions are used as leverage for robbery. You impose a heavy sanction on a nation, and then after a while tell them "we'll lift the sanction a little, if you sell your stuff to us at blackmail prices"

We were pumping Iraq's oil dry and they weren't seeing a cent of it under this same notion. And it looks like we're ready to try it on Iran next.

No doubt the US and Israeli governments are both hoping that Iran will respond to this economic vampirism with missile strikes or something, to justify mass reprisal against the Iranian people and imposition of harsher sanctions that will squeeze more wealth out of the nation.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Rightly or wrongly, I think Iran already has Nukes, and now has a delivery platform in it's Sat sytems.. But can't see them attacking Israel with them, since it would risk harming Jerusalem..

I do think this situation is being engineered from both sides, and as always in these situations it will be the average human that will suffer.

Society itself is facing many challenges, and in my opinion is at one of those tipping points in history.. I've felt for a while now that the establishment on both sides are facing civil unrest to readjust the current balance of power the Establishment has over society..

While for the establishment Pointing fingers externally has worked well in the past.. but the timeline for it to work in this situation is short.. Iran has it's own internal issues to face as does the West..

These civil unrest issues will come to head in the Spring when people realise what a jobless recovery means, and what they have to repay in their taxes.. that's when the real pain will set in, along with a lot of pent up anger.

So in my opinion if a war does kick off, it'll be for the benifit of the Establishment on both sides.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Haha OWNED!

top topics

join