It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brace yourselves (again!) for more government spending ripoffs!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hello ATS people. Usually when a war is underway you need to have well armed and well supplied soldiers in any combat situation. Also a well fed soldier can perform and fight better then those with lack of nutrition. So then why are they feeding us some of the worst food you can come across in a third world country.?

You'd think that all the funding that the military gets they could afford decent food for soldiers but they feed us this junk that you see above. The juice is one of the few things that are nutrional and other things but most of the food they feed us is just unhealthy and nasty looking. Of course sometimes they feed us somethings that tastes better but not much of an improvement.

Most of the foods you see above are loaded with MSG's and other fattening properties. Since the U.S has been here for so long and has some of the best weapons you have in a battlefield then why can't they improve a soldier and contractors plate. Note: Depending on which location you are in Iraq you will get better meals or crappy ones as seen earlier. So I ask the people of ATS what is the government spending most of its money on if its not for basic needs of soldiers? Do they want us to eat this junk to force us to buy food from AAFES trailer stores and make cash off of us or do they spend the dollars on the projects more then the basics of taking care of a soldier? No doubt I will get
for this thread but I am willing to show just how low the system can go for supporting the troops. Looks like the saying goes for this one as well "suck it up and drive on"

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Suck it up troop, At least your getting Hots, we were stcuk with MRE's for 9 months, back in 2003-2004, I bet you some of the Locals would kill for a mouth full of what we eat and throw away... And of course if you dont like, I got two words for ya... Burger King... Yeah just walk on down there to the PX/BX and get ya a whooper, unless you happen to be in an area that doesnt have one... Yet.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Military contracts to feed the troops are a lucrative business. The less they spend on ingredients and preparation the more profit they make.

The commanders who DON'T eat this stuff is where the problem truly lies. If there was a regulation that said all field and flag officers in the theater MUST dine with and as the troops they command - this wouldn't be so. But they are elite by their resign-able commission.

In my day it was C-RATS. Frankly, they weren't very good for you either. I would have paid real money to get hots, and we had no convenient mass produced tasty psuedo-food like Mc.D's or Pizza Hut's silicone cheese in the area...

But once you've visited a third-world country and seen what they have to put up with in terms of food and services, your standards tend to drop somewhat.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

News flash there buddy, Field and Staff officers have to dine in the same mess halls as the ground pounders. This dude is most likely at a very small FOB where the Army has its own cooks actually cook the food.... There not going to build a good dinning hall and bring out good food everyday for a 60-80 Soldiers.

But thank god we got away from the C-Rats.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by Maxmars

News flash there buddy, Field and Staff officers have to dine in the same mess halls as the ground pounders. This dude is most likely at a very small FOB where the Army has its own cooks actually cook the food.... There not going to build a good dinning hall and bring out good food everyday for a 60-80 Soldiers.

I have suddenly become irrelevant.... Oh well.... thanks for the update. In my time they were much more blatant about how 'separate' they were from 'us.'

I wouldn't expect Hots on the front; but away from it, I sure would have appreciated knowing the food was made by a comrade-in-arms rather than some corporate contractor.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by Maxmars

Agreed. I did manage to eat some hot food back in OIF 2 as well but most of the time had at least one hot food with breakfast. All we had for us was sausage and eggs and oatmmeal that look like playdough. Eventhough some of the Iraqi food gave me bubble guts, the falafuls were more taste then MRE's.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

I wouldn't expect Hots on the front; but away from it, I sure would have appreciated knowing the food was made by a comrade-in-arms rather than some corporate contractor.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Maxmars]

Soldiers have been complaining about the food since armies were first used.

If a 'comrade in arms' made your food, you'd treat him/her as badly as you probably do the contractors. Look at how cooks are shown in movies, and on tv in the military. They are comic relief, other soldiers look down on them, but when they aren't around they are wanted.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Shoot, some of that stuff looks good. Except for that nasty steal-like thing....would you rather have a muffin?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I'm sure you could find someone in Haiti to take your spot...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Oh shut up, all of you.

He's not "just complaining" about the food. He's pointing out how it's nearly fraud. If people had any idea how much money was spent on the food for troops, they would freak out. As it stands, you could feed an average sized family for a week on the allowance that a single soldier gets in one day, for 3+1 meals a day (Midnight Chow-time).

This is what they spend it on. It's not "bad" food, but it's pretty damn bad, and about as cheap as you can get before you start scraping the bottom.

The money is going elsewhere, is the point. So get off your high horse, this isn't the 50's, the "Other people are starving, eat your food." adage doesn't apply here. It's all about embezzlement and contractor fraud.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

$tar for you. The point I was trying to make is with the military budget and the spending that is going on, where is the upgrade in food? Sometimes id rather eat Iraqi food then eat what is in the 1st,2nd, and 3rd pic. Some of it looks like dog food!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
reply to post by SyphonX

$tar for you. The point I was trying to make is with the military budget and the spending that is going on, where is the upgrade in food? Sometimes id rather eat Iraqi food then eat what is in the 1st,2nd, and 3rd pic. Some of it looks like dog food!

Are those pics you took of food you were actually served? Or are they pics you found? Was it an Army field kitchen or a contractor run DFAC?

Those look like paper plates, same kind we had at FOB Suse in the field kitchen there. It was still better than the MRE's we had eaten the few couple months prior. I also did time in Erbil with the Koreans. If you didn't like kimchee, fish and rice, you went hungry, no joke. MRE's looked pretty good then. We used to go out in town to stock up on "good" food.

Now i'm at Ashraf, a very small FOB, no PX, Green Bean coffee, or any of that "good" stuff found at the larger camps. . The DFAC here is pretty good, though the menu is predictable. Every Friday night is Surf n' Turf, crab, lobster or shrimp and T-bones or Prime Rib. Saturday night is Mongolian stir fry, Sundays are Italian. And there's always the cold cuts sandwich bar and the short order burger, dogs, wings line, along with the salad bar. Not to mention the tubs of Baskin Robins ice cream.

A person could easily put on 100 lbs here, and alot of folks do put on significant weight. It's telling the TMC here carries high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes meds.

It is true food is a big business here. It costs a pretty penny to ship it in and people are making lots of money from it. Some places are better than others as far as food quality. Not every DFAC is the same. Some are run by contractors, some aren't. Some serve slop, some don't.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

reply to post by SyphonX

Are those pics you took of food you were actually served? Or are they pics you found? Was it an Army field kitchen or a contractor run DFAC?

Those look like paper plates, same kind we had at FOB Suse in the field kitchen there. It was still better than the MRE's we had eaten the few couple months prior. I also did time in Erbil with the Koreans. If you didn't like kimchee, fish and rice, you went hungry, no joke. MRE's looked pretty good then. We used to go out in town to stock up on "good" food.

Now i'm at Ashraf, a very small FOB, no PX, Green Bean coffee, or any of that "good" stuff found at the larger camps. . The DFAC here is pretty good, though the menu is predictable. Every Friday night is Surf n' Turf, crab, lobster or shrimp and T-bones or Prime Rib. Saturday night is Mongolian stir fry, Sundays are Italian. And there's always the cold cuts sandwich bar and the short order burger, dogs, wings line, along with the salad bar. Not to mention the tubs of Baskin Robins ice cream.

A person could easily put on 100 lbs here, and alot of folks do put on significant weight. It's telling the TMC here carries high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes meds.

It is true food is a big business here. It costs a pretty penny to ship it in and people are making lots of money from it. Some places are better than others as far as food quality. Not every DFAC is the same. Some are run by contractors, some aren't. Some serve slop, some don't.

we are served this junk everyday since our arrival and yes it is an army run kitchen. The dfac's at Adder are run by KBR and serve almost anything you can think of from sandwiches to chicken wings to many more options. Here at Garry Owen we have little choices. MRE's or dfac food, and our PX hardly ever gets supplied much. I do miss greenbeans coffee from my last deployment but it for reason gets worse as the years progress.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
reply to post by TXRabbit

The money is going elsewhere, is the point. So get off your high horse, this isn't the 50's, the "Other people are starving, eat your food." adage doesn't apply here. It's all about embezzlement and contractor fraud.

When my dad was in the Coast Guard in the late 50's early 60's they were getting better food than home cooked meals.

He'd tell me stories of having steaks and full veggies, mashed potatoes ... the full spread. All cooked in the style of what we experience at 'finer restaurants' (our standards of good food have plummeted).

It was still military though, so, if you took the food onto your plate, you ate it ALL.

Or it was toilet scrubbing for a week.

With all the theft and fraud within gov't and their contractors it doesn't surprise me all that much. It will take years to clean up this mess once the Tea Party Party takes over and kicks some fuggin ass.
don't hate, just stay pissed.

Massive Thanks to OP for suffering through the slop of Iraq. My last job I was fortunate enough to assist some of you guys with your video software! Keep those videos (and stills) coming! Those of us that can do anything to set stuff back to rights are doing so, so that you aren't wasting time over there 'protecting' a worthless 'progressive' US to come home to...

[edit on 2·9·10 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

The food here should improve in several more months but I wont be here before that happens. I did not know there was better food back then, I wonder what happened from the past till now to have food the way it has declined now as far as funding?

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

reply to post by SyphonX

During my first deployment, our FOB's mess-hall was hit by a suicide bomber, FOB Marez (Mosul). Lot's of people died, or were maimed and as a result of the carnage and damage, the mess-hall was out of commission for the duration of our deployment. We ate MREs and made do with other things.

We had several missions far, far north on the borders of Turkey and further north than that even, Kurdish territory. We were left with the same options, MREs and the "Cafeteria Equivalent" of MREs that were hot, but that's about it.

So, believe it or not, we actually Did eat a lot of local food. Nearly every time at lunch, we would arm up, drive out in one of our unarmored hummers (We didn't have armor in 2004) and buy some lunch at the local market place. We ate a lot of prepared meals as well, one of the perks of establishing relations with the local populace. Lots of chicken, soup, bread and fresh vegetables. They ate a lot of makeshift burritos (if you will) where we were. Just a bunch of meat on a wrap, with a few other things. The lamb was great too, and of course no meal was complete without hot Chai tea and an old pull-tab can of Pepsi.

The human body is not meant to intake and sustain as much chemicals, preservatives and "so-so" food that is an MRE, not for an extended time anyway. You're literally doing your body harm by eating those day-in and day-out. It no doubt causes digestive problems and more than likely causes various diseases and cancers. As someone pointed out, you can get really fat, really fast, off some of the food. MREs are the epitome of this.. you will get pretty unhealthy and probably overweight if you keep eating those. Mainly because the food literally just does not digest like it should and the nutrients are not broken down properly.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX

reply to post by SyphonX

During my first deployment, our FOB's mess-hall was hit by a suicide bomber, FOB Marez (Mosul). Lot's of people died, or were maimed and as a result of the carnage and damage, the mess-hall was out of commission for the duration of our deployment. We ate MREs and made do with other things.

We had several missions far, far north on the borders of Turkey and further north than that even, Kurdish territory. We were left with the same options, MREs and the "Cafeteria Equivalent" of MREs that were hot, but that's about it.

So, believe it or not, we actually Did eat a lot of local food. Nearly every time at lunch, we would arm up, drive out in one of our unarmored hummers (We didn't have armor in 2004) and buy some lunch at the local market place. We ate a lot of prepared meals as well, one of the perks of establishing relations with the local populace. Lots of chicken, soup, bread and fresh vegetables. They ate a lot of makeshift burritos (if you will) where we were. Just a bunch of meat on a wrap, with a few other things. The lamb was great too, and of course no meal was complete without hot Chai tea and an old pull-tab can of Pepsi.

The human body is not meant to intake and sustain as much chemicals, preservatives and "so-so" food that is an MRE, not for an extended time anyway. You're literally doing your body harm by eating those day-in and day-out. It no doubt causes digestive problems and more than likely causes various diseases and cancers. As someone pointed out, you can get really fat, really fast, off some of the food. MREs are the epitome of this.. you will get pretty unhealthy and probably overweight if you keep eating those. Mainly because the food literally just does not digest like it should and the nutrients are not broken down properly.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by SyphonX]

I remeber hearing that story in OIF 2 while I was in Baqubah and I still couldn't believe how a suicide bomber got inside. Its true that MRE's are not that good for you. They were made for shelf life not for taste or healthy balance. Thats why I stopped eating them a long time ago and just focus one whatever I can scrounge from the dfac or out very tiny px. During times of desperation I will buy me some falafuls from Hadji and other things that are tasty and since I have gotten use to eating Hadji food I no longer get bubble guts or "mud butt" but still sometimes there is a risk. Thanks for the input and you get a $tar from me.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

The only time that I eat MRE's now is only on missions that we are far away from the COB, but sometimes I will eat an MRE if the Dfac food is nasty like the ones above.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

I fought in Desert Storm and that stuff looks a lot better than the crap they fed us. We even made up a song about it set to the music of Ice, Ice Baby:

Stop, pick up your fork and listen
the spoons are back with a new rendition
funky brown sauce with the little white grains
after a few weeks no one complains

cause its rice with gravy
rice with gravy
rice with gravy come on!

The important thing to us after a while was whether the food would fill our stomachs until the next meal. Everything else could be solved with lots and lots of McIlheney's hot sauce which used to come inside the MRE packets.

For those of you who don't remember the early 90's:

edit on 8/13/11 by FortAnthem because:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join