It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who really thinks that we will eventually get over our petty beliefs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Now when I say “petty beliefs” I’m talking specifically to...

• Racist beliefs

• Homophobic beliefs

• Stereotypical beliefs etc.

So basically all the things that annoy me and make me feel sorry for those who believe its right to hate because of something that a person cannot control.

Personally I like to think that we will eventually move on from these beliefs to a more forgiving and harmonious world but another part of me says that this is nothing more than a pipe dream and it’s stupid to think that we will ever reach this stage.

So thoughts and opinions would be welcomed and appreciated on this…

So who really thinks’ that we will get over our petty beliefs??

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't think that will ever happen, although it sounds nice to me.

Humans, by nature, will always find something to differentiate themselves over.

It is sad, but once people stop disliking others who are "different", they will no longer be "human".

Perhaps people will evolve into other types of beings who don't care about petty differences, but that will be the end of humanity.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I contemplated this idea last night.

I fancy myself someone who could run for office in the future. I feel I have several good ideas that as long as they stay pure, they will help put this country on a path that will fix things.

I'm considering staying out of it all together because it will involve a lot of trust from the populace, which would be put in jeopardy because of political stereotypes.

But back to topic...I don't think they will ever. There will always be a group in power using these things against us.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by polychronopolis

Hmm 0 for 2 so far

It is sad, but once people stop disliking others who are "different", they will no longer be "human".

Although I disagree, I don't think that hating those for no reason is what makes us human, in fact it is the complete opposite surely?

But who knows maybe one day utopia won't seem like such a crazy man's idea

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Unfortunately, xenophobia is in our DNA. It was a useful evolutionary trait to be distrustful of those who are different, but today it seems to do more harm than good. The only way to overcome it completely is to evolve (in the Darwinian sense, not the enlightenment one). Hopefully we live that long.

[edit on 2/8/2010 by LiquidLight]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I do.

And probably a lot faster than we'd imagine, given the correct stimulus IMO.

That stimulus could be anything that forces a commonality, that supersedes all of the trivia you mention.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Blimey!

Threadkiller spikey strikes again!!!

What is it?!

Something i said? Or maybe i'm on so many ignore lists, no one ever sees my posts!

If i stink, i'd rather know.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Easy man lol

I would have posted sooner but i wanted to give someone else a chance to voice their opinions.

But since you want a reply heres one….. From what you said I really do hope we move on from petty beliefs as I mentioned above, and like you said the sooner the better but I still feel it's not going to happen in my lifetime but I hope im wrong still.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Guys...I suggest that you read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand...I know it's sci-fi, but it makes a lot of sense...after you read it you'll see what I mean about "humanity"...people suck...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

No worries.

I saw you were getting a bit despondent with the replies of doom and gloom you were getting, so i wanted to inject a little positive vibe your way in the form of a + opinion.

I hope you're wrong too.

Come to that, i hope i'm wrong too, because what i think will cause all of the petty bickering and bigotry inspired squabbling to cease is going to be an event we wouldn't readily wish to experience.
I hope, we're both wrong, and the growing pains are mild.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Hmm seems like one of the only times that the person who i agree with is the same person who i desperately wish would be 100% WRONG!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by polychronopolis

Thanks polychronopolis, i'll have a look.

I love Sci-Fi, between the historical and the futurist is where i'm happiest so to speak.

Ta.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Yeah, i know!

Ironic isn't it!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
add these to the list:

aliens

magic

lights and loves

but really, get over it 'S N I P'

MOD EDIT: to remove offensive term

[edit on 2/9/2010 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Star and Flag. One of the best posts ever. It's not often that we get a good example of Travistock, social manipulation via polls. You've provided a good example of what this is. Carefully manipulated to guilt trip, inferiorize, stereotype those who might dare to think for themselves and think differently. A carefully presented word trap. See how easy and natural it was. Why? Because we are learning from our masters. Your thread mirrors your handling / our handling.

While we are conditioned to view almost everything as right or wrong absolutely, the truth is that right and wrong are somewhat relative to what the spirits karmic need is at the moment. Today women are prostituted and even young men, soon children and anyone who opposes will be considered not cool, foolish, old fashioned, stupid, narrow minded, self righteous, and on, and on, and on. The society is putty in the hands of the NWO, they will mold it into what they want. If we don't squirm the imagine we approve. At some point the world is going to wretch itself silly.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by djr33222

Ummmmm Ye, Please actually contribute instead of making a stupid post

top topics

join